VAir compressors. Trying to decide which one.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I am trying to decide between this:

http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/20005.html

Or this:

http://www.viaircorp.com/OffRoad/400P-A.html

The air source with the tank would be able to do double duty as a compressor for various things around the house, like blowing water out of stuff, light air tool use like a stapler or brad nailer, and it will run my 3/8 impact in short bursts. I am thinking of putting it in the front compartment of my trailer and using a GPU plug to connect it.

On the other hand, the totally portable Viar 450 would always be in the Jeep when needed. I have heard people claim to use an imapact with one, but I do not see how without a tank. Anyone have this model? How is it for long low pressure fills, like floating toys? How about for bowing stuff off?

D.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The CFM rate of the 450 is disappointing. It will run all day long without overheating, but that's because it has to. My 400 was 2x as fast filling tires and charging a tank.

I have the 450P I am sure it would not run a impact with out a tank. That being said I am very happy with the 450P and plan on having a bumper built with a air tank resivor.

theksmith

Explorer
if you're set on viair then ignore this - but IMHO, check out the puma's first. search ebay for "puma 12v".

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I've had 450 for as long as I can remember. Made in China but it has held up fine. In Colorado altitude it would take 25 minutes to air up 35x13.5x15 from 7psi to 28psi. That may be cut to 15 at sea level. Thats a lot of air but it's no powerhouse of a compressor. The 4x4 van runs tall skinny 34's with 85PSI rear and 65 in the front. OMG... It took an hour when in the mountains to even get to 75PSI. If I had to do it over I'd look at some of the premium compressors sold by the vendors here or a CO2 tank. If you run high PSI like the van then forget it. Even the tanks I've seen are no help because it's empty before the first tire is full.

DesertJK

Adventurer
if you're set on viair then ignore this - but IMHO, check out the puma's first. search ebay for "puma 12v".

Ok, I did. I liked what I saw. I just bought a Puma 240 Volt 80 Gallon V twin dual stage
for my Hangar. That is one of the reasons I only really need small and portable for home.

maclean216

Observer
I have a 440P. The positive power lead got so hot the insulation melted and the fuse never blew but ended up melting. I am waiting for it to burst into flames one day...maybe when i finally exceed the duty cycle.

With that said for dual use I would look at a 100% duty cycle model from someone else.

DesertJK

Adventurer
I have a 440P. The positive power lead got so hot the insulation melted and the fuse never blew but ended up melting. I am waiting for it to burst into flames one day...maybe when i finally exceed the duty cycle.

With that said for dual use I would look at a 100% duty cycle model from someone else.

I am thinking the PUMA is the way to go. I am having the place I bought my 80 Gallon Puma for my hangar from see what they will get me the 12 Volt one for.

I most ideal thing would be a 12V / 120v AC/DC compressor. Not sure how that would work though. I am thinking that I will get an extra deep cycle (need one anyways) and put one of those big connectors like GPU's on small aircraft, or tow truck jumper cable connectors, on the battery, on the compressor, between my Jeep battery and my winch, and on my camper. That way I can easily and without tools, plug in any big 12V think I need, and have a battery to power the compressor away from the vehicles.
For example, I can put the compressor and battery in a garden cart, and take it to the back of my property to use and air stapler to put freeze protection tarps over vegtable gardens, or haul the compressor and battery on an ATV to repair a tire, or use an air impact for a on the trail repair.

theksmith

Explorer
ideal is engine-powered, but usually people give up their A/C in trail rigs for that. not sure if there is a kit/bracket for the JK that wedges in a compressor while keeping everything else or not? but if there is and you have the money for it, well nothing 12v really compares.

DesertJK

Adventurer
ideal is engine-powered, but usually people give up their A/C in trail rigs for that. not sure if there is a kit/bracket for the JK that wedges in a compressor while keeping everything else or not? but if there is and you have the money for it, well nothing 12v really compares.

I had an engine powered one a long time ago in another rig. I was good, but I am not sure it was good enough to give up AC for. Who would give up AC? Even in a dedicated trail rig, which this is not, it is set up as an overland rig, pretty good at most things I need it for, not a rock crawler, or a mall crawler, all though I have driven it to Costco about 100 times, and it has been through some pretty good rock sections too.
I use to have a 1.5 horse compressor with a small tank. I was able to use and impact for 5 or 6 tight bolts before having to wait, I could fill an air matteress, it would bead a motorcycle tire, and I could fill a 33" tire in a few minutes. The thing lasted 15 years, but last summer it started popping the breaker and it's cord would get real hot. I looked inside and it wasn't pretty.
I think a 12V will fit my needs fine.

UNI

Adventurer
We also have the Viair 450P Portable compressor, its a good compressor. It will not run air tools, you would need a tank for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1