Vehicle research: RAM 1500 info sought....

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
While the 'Burb is still running strong at nearly 170k miles, I figure it's prudent to start doing some research on its soon-to-be replacement. Hoping to get at least one more year out of the Burb but if I have a catastrophic or expensive failure or an accident I might have to replace it on short notice.

I've looked at the later Chevy and Ford half tons but honestly had never seriously considered either Nissan or Dodge (Ram) but I have noticed that they seem to be lower priced and pretty well equipped, so I thought I'd ask here about anyone with Ram 1500 experience.

The last 2 main "overlanding" vehicles I've owned I kept less than 3 years each. I'm really hoping to be able to get one that will last me at least 8 or 9 and for that reason I'd be willing to spend a bit more to get something newer, nicer and with lower miles.

What I'm looking for is a vehicle that will function primarily to pull our ~3500lb travel trailer all over the Rocky Mountains (where 11,000' passes are the norm), be able to take us on some mild off-road adventures while we're out (nothing more challenging than, say, White Rim or the Maze district of Canyonlands) and to haul my butt to work 3 days a week (I work from home the other two) where my commute is only about 10 miles each way.

My requirements would be:

Crew cab / short bed configuration (I need the ability to carry at least 4 adults, so that rules out extended cab/double cab/bonus cab or whatever they call a less-than-crew-cab. And yes, I'm willing to accept a shorter bed in return for a bigger cab.)

Really would like 2016 or newer since I plan on keeping this for a long time. Won't rule out brand new but I generally don't like to buy new because I hate taking the first depreciation hit. I'm not sure when the most recent Dodge/Ram update was but it looks like maybe 2015 or 2016 they went to a slightly different body style?

Definitely want a V8 so I'd be looking at the 5.7 Hemi version (I'm not interested in a diesel for a lot of reasons I won't go into here.)

Those are my only requirements. As far as desires go, there are a few:

* Biggest gas tank possible. I've heard some have 32 gallon tanks? Is that an option and is it only with some special package? My Suburban has a 31 gallon tank and I've come to really like that capacity.

* Built in/integrated trailer brake. Am I right in thinking this usually comes with the "towing package?" Getting tired of busting my knee on the brake controller.

* Rear E-locker is desirable. Is there a specific "package" this comes with?

* Flex fuel capability. No, I don't want to start a debate on the relative merits of E-85 :rolleyes: but it is a nice capability to have, IMO.

So does the 5.7 have any known 'issues' or weaknesses? I know it's been around for a long time. Is it the same as the old Chrysler 360 that's been around forever?

What about transmission/t-case/axles - any known issues there? Any specific options to seek out or avoid? I'm confused about transmissions - some seem to have an 8 speed and others a 5 or 6 speed - again, is this something that came on different "packages?"

For those who have one, would you buy another and if not, why not?

Thanks in advance! I'm posting a similar thread in the Nissan sub-board.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I had a 2009 4th gen 1500 for 9 years before I totaled it and got a 3500 Cummins.

I did not have too many issues with the motor itself. I did have to replace exhaust studs twice and the cam shaft once (lifetime warranty covered both). But this was the first year of the new style and I used to hammer the dog crap out of it, so I think that was the issue. Over all I was happy with the truck and put 170,000 miles on it. I'd probably still be driving it honestly if I had not wrecked it. Oh I did have to replace the rack and pinion too but that was because it constantly road on dirt construction sites and wore the bushings out.

Having said that, I'll never own another gas truck again. It's diesel from here on out.

As for suspension on the 1500 both AEV and Carli make great kits for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
I've been in a few 1500's. They're okay trucks IMHO. Looking at magazine long term reviews and the NHTSA website, they do seem prone to more reliability issues than other FCA trucks and SUV's (2500/3500 platform and Jeep). I'm sure with the proper modifications and maintenance, it could serve as a fine travel/overland rig. AEV and Carli make decent aftermarket options for the truck. The 5.7l Hemi, and its bigger 6.4l brother, are, by many accounts, rock solid engines. It's the platform encompassing those engines you'll have to be mindful of...that has been a historical trend with FCA vehicles. I don't know that those Hemi's are certified for flex fuel; in fact, I believe FCA recommends 89 octane for both engines.

The other big issue with FCA is that they've been slow to cater their 1/2 ton's to the offroad/overland market. The new rebel 1500 is a step in the right direction I suppose, but it's still lacking a locking rear diff if I'm not mistaken. If you're looking for a mostly turn-key overlanding platform, I'd definitely consider a Nissan Titan or Titan XD. Similar gasoline engines (as well as a diesel option if you change your mind), decent payload and towing. The Pro-4x comes with most of what you'll need to do some basic exploring (locking rear diff, skids, upgraded shocks).

bdp1978

Adventurer
I'm on my 2nd ram in a row. 1st was a 2007 5.7 that I ran up to 142k before trading it in. Now I have a 2014 5.7 that is only at 50k. The 2014 hasnt had a single issue since I bought it. I have 3.55's with the 6 speed, average 17mpg's in mixed driving and tow a 7000lb boat all summer. The hemi is a very proven engine at this point and you will have no issues towing a 3500lb travel trailer up any mountain you want.

I havent driven the 8 speed but it is supposed to be fantastic. The 8 speed with 3.92's and a 32 gallon tank should do you fine. Oh, and you can now order an "Off Road" package on the '19's that includes skids etc.....and yes....you can get a locking diff.

Dalko43

Explorer
I havent driven the 8 speed but it is supposed to be fantastic. The 8 speed with 3.92's and a 32 gallon tank should do you fine. Oh, and you can now order an "Off Road" package on the '19's that includes skids etc.....and yes....you can get a locking diff.

I stand corrected...the new offroad package does offer a true rear locker. I recall seeing something called an "anti-spin rear differential" for the older 1500's and 2500/3500's which I believe was a limited slip.

bdp1978

Adventurer
I stand corrected...the new offroad package does offer a true rear locker. I recall seeing something called an "anti-spin rear differential" for the older 1500's and 2500/3500's which I believe was a limited slip.

The 2500's with the 11 1/2" rear ends have always had lockers available but the 9.25" 1500's have only had LSD's up until this point. The new Rebel comes Standard with the locker and you can get the Off Road pkg added to any of the other trims now.

Dalko43

Explorer
The 2500's with the 11 1/2" rear ends have always had lockers available but the 9.25" 1500's have only had LSD's up until this point. The new Rebel comes Standard with the locker and you can get the Off Road pkg added to any of the other trims now.

I believe you on the 1500 part, but are you sure about that first part (in bold)? I'm fairly certain that the only 2500 variant that can come with lockers is the Power Wagon. All the other 2500's, both gasoline and diesel, are limited to an open diff or a limited slip.

bdp1978

Adventurer
I believe you on the 1500 part, but are you sure about that first part (in bold)? I'm fairly certain that the only 2500 variant that can come with lockers is the Power Wagon. All the other 2500's, both gasoline and diesel, are limited to an open diff or a limited slip.

I get what you're saying. I wasnt being specific but was looking at the fact you can add the "Power Wagon" package to even the tradesman trim....so technically...yes.....lockers have always been available but you needed to click the power wagon option. Sorry....keeping me honest!!

Halligan

Adventurer
Prior to 2019 only the Dodge/Ram Power Wagon came with true electronic locking axles. All other Mopars had a LSD rear axle. To the OP, as I read your post one vehicle popped in my head right away. The 2019 Ram Rebel. Whats nice with the 2019 Rebel vs. 4th gen Rebels is you can opt for a traditional steel spring suspension vs. air suspension. On the 4th gen Rebels it was air suspension only, which makes me nervous for long term durability. Good luck and keep us posted as to what you purchase.

Riley

Observer
I'm currently driving a Ram1500 as a rental. Needed to pick up a college student. It's an 18 Laramie with the 5.7. About 3K miles. The 5.7 moves quite well, 17-18 is about all you can expect, the crew cab is large and comfortable. It's a quiet truck, though I'd guess most of them are these days.

It is a large vehicle even with the 60 something inch bed. In fact, I'd be surprised if the cab is much smaller in exterior dimension than a 2500. Along those lines I'd be curious to hear how the 5.7 fares in the 2500's vice the 6.4. It's really only about 25 hp and 30 ft lbs. I suppose at max tow it might be an issue but for the daily grind I'd guess the 5.7 would be plenty.

I have also had ocassion to drive a Titan for a week or two. It felt a bit "trimmer" than the Ram. Easier to judge passenger side distances, mileage a bit better. Optioned differently but as comfortable in the basics with better over the front visibility I'd say.

For a couple hundred you can rent either one for a week and give it a try. Might not get all the specific options you'd be looking for but its a nice extended test drive.

Riley

Observer
Just checked the Ram site and found the following in answer to my above thoughts.

Head, hip, leg and shoulder room are the same between the 1500 and 2500.

The overall body width is interestingly .3 in narrower on the 2500 and it is .2 in taller.

Wheel base varies depending on configuration, if both 1500 and 2500 are spec-ed to crew cab with 6ft 4 bed, turning diameter is 43.9 fton the 2500 and surprisingly 45.5 ft on the 1500. 1500 short bed is 39.8 ft.

Dalko43

Explorer
It is a large vehicle even with the 60 something inch bed. In fact, I'd be surprised if the cab is much smaller in exterior dimension than a 2500.

Just checked the Ram site and found the following in answer to my above thoughts.

Head, hip, leg and shoulder room are the same between the 1500 and 2500.

The overall body width is interestingly .3 in narrower on the 2500 and it is .2 in taller.

Wheel base varies depending on configuration, if both 1500 and 2500 are spec-ed to crew cab with 6ft 4 bed, turning diameter is 43.9 fton the 2500 and surprisingly 45.5 ft on the 1500. 1500 short bed is 39.8 ft.

Yep. Go look at a Ram 1500 Crew Cab parked next to 2500 crew cab; on paper, I understand there are differences between the two, but visually they look to have very similar footprints. That seems to be a trend with most 1/2 ton pickup's nowadays. The F-150 has about the same width as the F-250/350 because they share the same cab and some F-150 variants are actually wider and nearly just as long.

That's my main gripe with most 1/2 ton's. They have about the same footprint of a 3/4 ton, but yet their payload specs seem so neutered by comparison.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
I'm on my third Dodge/Ram pickup. Got close to 300,000 miles out of the last two with only a blown head gasket, front CV joints, and a transmission output shaft bearing replaced (other than normal stuff like tires, shocks and exhaust). First two were manual transmissions, this last one is an automatic. First two were 1500's, my current truck is a 2012 2500 bought to carry a 1500 lb camper.

The running gear on the last two were still good at ~300,000 miles; it was the bodies that were causing problems. Dodge has a problem rusting out around the rear fender wells and bottom of the doors. Passenger door latch rusted shut; Minnesota roads are not kind to steel. Seats were also breaking down and tearing.

I get ~ 15 MPH running empty @ 70 MPH and loose about 2 MPG with a FWC Grandby on the back. Get 2 MPG better milage in places that don't put 'corn squeezins' in the gas. Turning radius sucks but so does it on a friends Ford.

I buy 1 to 2 year old trucks with low milage; let others take the hit on depreciation. Yes, I would buy another Ram if I had to replace mine right now.

jim

ttengineer

Adventurer
Do you want the short bed or standard bed?

It should be noted that the 2500 does not come configured with the short bed. Only the 6 and ½ foot beds or long bed.

If gas mileage is your your main concern I'd go with the 1500. The PW guzzles Fuel. I'm also not sure if an E85 option is available.

As for Nissan, I personally think they are junk. Their other cars are great, specifically the motor and tranny, but how many old titans do you see driving around? I rarely if ever see one anymore. When I test drive one before I got my 1500 I couldn't stand it. It rode like crap. It also has the worst fuel economy out of any full size on the market.

Dalko43

Explorer
As for Nissan, I personally think they are junk. Their other cars are great, specifically the motor and tranny, but how many old titans do you see driving around? I rarely if ever see one anymore. When I test drive one before I got my 1500 I couldn't stand it. It rode like crap. It also has the worst fuel economy out of any full size on the market.

These anecdotal 'you don't see x brand on the road anymore' is such a waste of everyone's time.

The reason there are fewer Nissan trucks on the road isn't because they are junk. It's because Nissan never got a huge market share in any of the truck markets. For the longest time, Toyota has dominated the mid-sized market while the big 3 (Ford, GM, Ram) have dominated the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton markets.

You don't see many Tundra's on the road compared to F-150's and Silverado's....does that mean the Tundra is junk as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal