Vintage Camper Trailer Build

pint

Adventurer
SWEET! Keep up the good work. I keep wanting to build an off road pop-up, just need time and $...

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I think I've seen you on Colorado4x4.org before, if your ever doing some wheeling in the Summit County area let me know. You can check out the camper and maybe do some wheeling.

Yes you have, Sounds good! I need an excuse for a camping/wheeling trip

Dirtco

Adventurer
I wanted to open the camper up this weekend and work some more on the inside, but I had to work on the truck instead. :mad:

I did get the spare tire installed, one less thing on the list :)

P1020360.jpg

And while going through my pictures, I remembered these pictures. This is why you rewire an old trailer, both of these spots were inside the frame rail and would have never been noticed.

P1020341.jpg

P1020342.jpg

Dirtco

Adventurer
I set up the camper and worked on the inside a bit. I had to replace the front section of canvas (I forgot to take pictures of the repair), along with some missing snaps and repair a couple small tears. I also added a rug to cover the old carpet, along with some other details.

Here's how it looks all folded out, not bad for 45 years old :)

P1020368.jpg

P1020369.jpg

P1020370.jpg

P1020371.jpg

BADGERDOG

I was surfing around the web looking for info on my old 1965 Bethany Chief because I had decided to clean it up and make it usable again. I camped in it as a boy. It's only been used 3-4 times over the last 25 years. I found this thread and couldn't believe there was another pink Bethany Chief still in existence. I'm still working on the inside and I'm hoping to find bigger wheels and tires. The bed cushions in my camper are exacty like Dirtco's......covered in the same fabric!

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Ugggg must get 220 to the shed so I can weld............. That is by far the best thing I've seen so far! Nice idea.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I think I'm going to utilize this method for mine for the following reasons.

1. simplicity
2. no replacement of axle required, though hub will be changed to run 5 lug
3. fewer materials needed to build the spacers
4. will fit a larger tire and give ground clearance w/o changing the cog to much

A

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
You should have placed the old cowboy curtains on ebay. That vintage fabric is bringing nice money these days.

GREAT TRAILER RESTORATION! I like the way you modified it but kept the vintage integrity.

Nice.

Dendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1