Wanted: Help & Opinions needed - Shopping between truck camper and travel trailer

eeeracer

Howdy guys and gals,
We are currently in the market for a truck camper, travel trailer, exp vehicle and are overwhelmed with the options and our inability to travel just to browse (thanks Covid-19). Help! What should we be looking at? Every time we search for something, a new option appears and screws up our searches. Location: Scottsdale AZ

Uses:
Road tripping to National Parks
Fishing, camping - forest roads, etc - more remote the better
Unlikely to do any hardcore off-road

Requirements:
Potty (either wet bath, dry bath, or interior cassette toilet - girls are sick of going at truck stops)
Sleeps 3 (bunks a plus)
Compact - easy to get off the beaten path - <20 ft length would be preferable
Sturdy/Durable - not sure Jayco Baja or similar is going to survive on fire roads

Nice to have:
Ability to fit into 8' garage
TT - would be nice if it was light enough to be used by any of the trucks

Vehicles:
4Runner TRD
7.3L Excursion
7.3L F250 - add-a-leaf and bagged, CC Shortbed

What we currently like:
Hallmark UTE
Northstar 850SC
Black Series C12
Black Series HQ12 (though this is too heavy for 4runner)

Ok - what are we missing? What do you guys love/recommend/run to/run FROM/etc.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
After doing a couple of longer 12-14 day 2700mile trips with 2 kids and parents. Zion, North rim, Moab, Yellowstone I’ve narrowed my list to trailers. Truck campers/vans are too small even compared to our 4x6 trailer opened up with two queen beds and 4x6 floor. Our current Jumping Jack style trailer is great regarding our toys, hauling ability but was only a few mph shy of shredding to bits leaving us in a pinch with no tent in a mild Moab wind.
The full on RV style trailers all suck horribly regarding gear stowage talking active family stuff, bikes, water toys etc. Only time we are in camp on these trips is at the end of the day after out hiking parks, biking, playing on the water etc. Its our crash pad and gear locker basically.
The small toy hauler with front bed, mid side door then add folding bunk beds to one wall so we have floor space while down and can flip them up, toss bikes and gear in and go/leave for the day etc. 19ft ish max hitch to bumper.

billiebob

As soon as you need more than 1 bed and a child, I lean to tent trailers. Massive beds, lots of air, space. And hundreds of choices from real light and simple with outside kitchens to units comparable to a luxury apartment. Some have tons of storage, even front ATV decks. Plus they all tow well.

Tent trailers mean the beds are always set up, no need to convert the dinette.

Wether you buy here, or just shop ideas this is one of the best used rv sites I have found.

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
As soon as you need more than 1 bed and a child, I lean to tent trailers. Massive beds, lots of air, space. And hundreds of choices from real light and simple with outside kitchens to units comparable to a luxury apartment. Some have tons of storage, even front ATV decks. Plus they all tow well.

Tent trailers mean the beds are always set up, no need to convert the dinette.

Wether you buy here, or just shop ideas this is one of the best used rv sites I have found.
I have scrubbEd tent trailers off my list. Many of the perfect times to get away are shoulder months (weather risk) and again very little gear cant be stowed in the trailer which is my current problem plus setup time which I currently have. Tent trailer I’d rather have the multi use Jumping Jack.

D

Deleted member 9101

Tent trailer I’d rather have the multi use Jumping Jack.

I had one for a couple of years. Neat concept, not great build quality. Powder coating on the trailer peeled off and canvas started to rot...all in the first two years...lol.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I had one for a couple of years. Neat concept, not great build quality. Powder coating on the trailer peeled off and canvas started to rot...all in the first two years...lol.
Mine is the Lifetime original we are in CA and it’s held up looks nearly new going on 8yrs old. But primarily dry camping. Not powder coated, I hit It with black spray paint every fall.

The perfect trailer for us would be pop top intech. Kids bunked up high opposite ends/sides of the trailer and ma/pa on the floor in a flip down wall bed. Drop the top, flip bed up roll bikes/junk in and go.

Last edited:

Ducstrom

Being able to fit in an 8' garage will limit you to a pop up in either trailer or truck camper form.
I had a 17' winnebago (21') hitch to bumper and behind a 20' truck we were over 40' long. It made unknown forestry road travel nerve wracking.
It also seemed that every time we took it down a forest service road something would fall apart.
It was awesome once set up at camp though!
I am switching to a tiny truck camper that should suit our needs better.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
The Mantis interesting but still missed the mark I feel the Cricket did too. All of those trailers I feel like start to hit the mark but they get caught up in the “RV” needs to be house like and loose the multi tool aspect and miss the mark. I do see that the 2020 Mantis fixed the dumbest mistake no rear gear door in the original-19’s. I was so amazed they did that I totally lost interest in the brand. If I can rent a 2020 rear door Mantis for a trip I would likely do it to see how it works out.

My tow rig is a fully loaded tow package 2019 Expedition so anything under 6000lbs is basically a zero thought. LoL But I really like being small. My 4x6 is basically a zero factor

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Great thinking.

OP might look up Carson Trailer Manufacturing in SoCal (I believe). They make some great smaller fully self contained toy haulers that would still give them a wet bath, and bunks for the whole crew. Carson even used to have custom 14’ and 16’ models, all built strong for hauling on dirt roads.

Otherwise, as far as what is on OP’s list, I’d definitely go with the Northstar if weight isn’t an issue. Their windows are a bit higher and easier to see out of when in camp.
Carson stuff is too big. They do nice stuff tho.
Something like this only add folding wall mounted bunk beds to one side in the back.
I know the vertical tracked lift/drop beds are all the rage but they lay across the width of the trailer and are usually huge beds making it impossible to use the space for anything other than a bed. Vs side bunk beds lower could be sat on while at a table or walkable floor space etc.

Attachments

• 3FA69FA4-9C03-4215-9BF3-EBB87AA84FE2.jpeg
    3FA69FA4-9C03-4215-9BF3-EBB87AA84FE2.jpeg
    225.3 KB · Views: 69

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Dune sport might actually be interesting. Lots of custom stuff. Could probably even do a custom 16ft with an interesting layout.
Rear corner bath, rear bunk beds that flip up with a rear cargo door half trailer width one door to load gear (bikes, kayak etc) in the back in the flipped bunk space, front fixed bed. Lots of interesting options with Dune sport look at their FB page tons of super cool custom stuff.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Let us know what you do eeeracer. Your not alone. Like I said the 2020 Taxa Mantis is potentially interesting. Granted it gets a stupid price tag however the questionable HQ series has an even more questionable price tag. LOL

Only way I end up upgrading is if I sell my fun car. To many costly toys right now. But the sail boat is seeing lots of use with all our sports stuff shut down. Higher probability we’ll have more time for camping trips also. Which might mean the 2seater could get replaced with a garaged trailer like a Mantis. But I’d need a solid 5 days with a rental first.

eeeracer

We have a deposit down on a Black Series Classic 12. Unlikely to fit in the garage, but hits all the other requirements. Opted for this over the HQ12 as it's more compact, lighter and can tow with any of our current vehicles except the Willys :)

I'll still be on the lookout for a Hallmark UTE or FWC and spec out the truck and/or tow the trailer depending on friends wanting to come. Thanks for all the help guys!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1