Water Storage

gr8wrk

Observer
I have a somewhat modified aluminum toolbox in the front of the bed of my Tacoma. I mad a baffled fiberglass storage tank to fit that's about 10" high. It holds about 16 gallons. I put a 6" marine deck plate in the top for access and a small drain out the bottom. Currently I'm using a 12v Rule 27D 1100 gph bilge pump in it. It pumps water to an outlet near the back of my shell and to a shower. So far, works OK. I've used the rule pumps on small boats and they have always performed flawlessly and lasted long. They're inexpensive but do the job.

JRhetts

Adventurer

We too have used All-Rite tanks. I had three (two freshwater and one graywater) tanks make for our FusoFM camper. They were complicated shapes with angled corners, etc. All-Rite did a good job out of very strong material.

We've also used everything from MSR Dromedary bags to Wedco metal jerry cans, but each for a different purpose/context. The former for three weeks in the Guyana jungle setting up clinics along the rivers, and the latter for driving to Panama in a Jeep. Each situation requires/dictates its own solution.

mmtoy

Adventurer
231 cubic inches (L x W x H) = 1 gallon.
Volume of a cylinder V=π*r²*L
For a tube with a 3"id and 4' long
V=3.14*3²*48~1356.5
1356.5/231=6.4 gallons

I've been looking into using PVC or similar under the truck or using sliders, etc for water storage. Will probably abandon the idea due to space and low volume issues.

Your algebra is correct, but your numbers are not quite right.

3" inner diameter is 1.5" radius (r). Volume of a cylinder is Pi*r^2*L.
A 4' long tube with 3" ID has a volume of 3.14*1.5^2*48 = 339 cubic inches = 1.5 gallons.

gwhipp

Observer
I am considering multiple PVC pipes under my truck and hooking them up to my OBA with a regulator. The pipes are rated for 200psi and if you were to fill them with 35psi, it would be great for washin' up.

They would be easy to drain in the winter.

GhettoBago

Observer
Spent the day cutting wood & stapling carpet today, quick run to the army supply store.. about $55 to put it all together, 7 gallons.

Puts out like 20 ounces in a single pump! When the spigot is on, it shoots outside the rear doors so no mess ever!

I was stoked to get it to fit so that it allows plenty of room still to sleep us & the dogs, I fit laid down with ease between the box & drivers seat. I plan to make some sort of elastic cord storage on the side for stuff too!

Easy to take out.

Instead of blocking the accesory outlet, I decided to incorporate it... and damn do stupid things like that ad tons of steps!!

Ruined Adventures

Brenton Cooper
thread hijack: Ghettobago, where did you find your storage rack that's mounted from the ceiling? Let me know how you like it or how it could be improved, because I was thinking about doing something similar. Send me a PM or email so I don't derail this water storage topic. Thanks

Proceed with the waterboard, err, I mean water discussion...

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Here are my experiences with water storage containers.
I live in a dry cabin for the last two years now and haul my water weekly. Yes I'm that guy on the side of the Seward Highway filling up at the spring at MP 109. I use a fleet of 6 Colman blue jugs.
5620A718_500.jpg

What I have found is they do get worn as the threaded caps are used. The spigots do get brittle like ntsqd stated and break. I get about 2 months out of a spigot with daily use and Colman sells replacements that I buy in bulk.
From what I have found with the folding type water carriers is that with constant use the handle starts to rip apart from the jug mostly from the weight of carrying the water. This type lasts about a month with daily use. I do like the spigot design better than the Coleman design. I will take the weak Coleman spigot over the catastrophic failure of the folding jug. The blue Coleman jugs do pour better when set on a ledge verses the folding ones that tend to roll off if not placed securely.
41X%2Bp2HvjPL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

When traveling I use the MSR Black Dormetory Bags as they fit nicely with my MSR water filter that has the same thread pattern as a Nalgene. I also like the accessories that MSR has for them; like the shower hose, bite valve, or spigot and you can hang them for a gravity feed from your rack or tree.
dromedary2.jpg

Last edited:

Gooseberry

Explorer
not sure the manfacture but I have seen a rear bumber with water storage on a jeep. You just unscrewed the cap and put the pump/faucet on and good to go. I used it after shooting one day and it was pretty nice. Will try and make some calls to find out who makes it.

Xterabl

Adventurer
About that footwell tank...I don't get how water gets from one side to the other, once the level drops below the contoured part for the driveshaft "hump". Just some food for thought.

frgtwn

Adventurer
cut n paste

From the sierraexpeditions site:

Product Features:

•Made of food grade polyethylene and BPA free
•Cutout spans transmission tunnel
•Water outlet on each side of tank, two hoses fittings and brackets provided
•Raco quick connect adapter on end of 12mm diameter hose
•Orbit or Ace Hardware quick connect adapter compatible

Forum statistics

Threads