WH (WK) Preparation for the Pyrenees

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks both, I've been running around with it over the last week and as well as being functional I think it adds a bit of interest to the rather bland WK interior. I'm still planning on adding some extra mounts on it for phone and CB mic, but not decided on the exact positioning yet.

Spent some time yesterday on phase two of my storage system, which mostly involved making a lightweight 5mm ply cover for the jack/tools area, and removable shelf/table that extends the waffle board shelf out to the tailgate. The jack cover gives a platform for the coolbox, and the shelf will allow two or three duffle bags etc. to be slid in and out through the glass hatch. So far it's only temporarily assembled with self-tapping screws and clamps to sort the dimensions out.

I0000gUEdfKN262s.jpg

I0000gmJl5ir9P2o.jpg

I0000yEPsoqHpqWA.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Subscribed for future pyrenees pics! (And your interesting design ideas!)
Being told growing up our family name is Basque, and that they hail from the pyrenees I'm excited to see your trip. I've talked to a guy in that region that has a jeepster commando and his pics were breathtaking. I'm sure you'll have a blast. I'll have to do the trip vicariously though. :(

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks Jeedreamer, we're all looking forward to the trip and I hope the photos will do it justice.

I managed to get quite a bit done this weekend finishing off the build. All the major parts are now done, I just need to tidy up some of the details and bracketry. I'm planning on giving it all a god test on a camping trip over Easter.

Some pics...

Making up corner reinforcements for the table.

I00002QVvzyTHmqw.jpg

I decided to fit folding legs to the table. When in place the left hand leg supports the free end.

I0000yPfFS4H4P5E.jpg

I0000xprzrDkXnnQ.jpg

Finishing off the tool compartment end panel.

I00008p.ZfCpN3DI.jpg

To make access to the cubby easier, and to remove some unnecessary material I cut the back out of the drawer box.

I0000rbKsdVR_AAY.jpg

I0000BGn3HOZAHwU.jpg

I also cut the base out of the jack panel for the same reason.

I00003sVQ8abHuQQ.jpg

I0000dGAo2qHwVCk.jpg

To tie the whole job together I used some lightweight carpet to cover the drawer box, tool compartment and cubby panel.

I0000NgXH.g1FqQ0.jpg

I0000QPRlhMYc3AU.jpg

The tool compartment cover is only 5.5mm ply to save weight, so I added a double section on the from to stiffen it and mirror the thickness of the drawer box top.

I0000uDkwtc33Tzw.jpg

I0000mXMN10ho.y0.jpg

I used roller catches to locate the tool compartment cover.

I0000dWYFuLRXbqc.jpg

The bungee is just temporary until I fit some lashing points.

I0000qUguqQs5Cvc.jpg

I0000Uuy8At4RAe0.jpg

I00005zW3KksnQEc.jpg

I0000baBbU5cMyXU.jpg

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Being that the jeep community (worldwide) seems to be blessed with honestly good people I thought I'd toss this out there.
I mentioned a fella I've emailed with who lives in the Basque region and is a jeeper.
His name is Aitor, screen name of black beast, and you could probably find him here:
http://jeepstercommandoclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9514
English isn't his strong point but he is super friendly. I'd bet if you reach out to him he could suggest good spots to wheel and who knows... maybe he'd even meet up with you guys.
I can't find the pics he sent me (a few years ago) but you're in for a treat wheeling there. Beautiful country is an understatement!

Jeep is looking great. Had to chuckle at the full size floor jack. Don't they have hi-lift Jacks over there? :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

crossed-up

Observer
Your fabrication skills are impressive.

Thank you, HercDriver, I have had quite a bit of practice over the years.

jeepgc said:
How are your preparations coming along?

Things are coming along nicely and most of the Jeep prep. is done. There's still some refining to do and some wiring for the cool box battery cutoff. We're planning a camping weekend in the next couple of weekends, then the Jeep summer camp in July at Barton-Le-Clay for a final shakedown. But I've been interrupted by having to do an engine rebuild on my Fiat just ahead of the summer grass auto test and rally events, so will probably end up having to use the Jeep for those too if I can't get it back together in time!

Shouldn't take too long, it's only half a Hemi!
I0000.zoPw6zUsmM.jpg

crossed-up

Observer
We took the Jeeps on a 'shakedown' up to Kielder at the weekend on a 4x4 safari organised by the local mountain rescue team. It was a great couple of days with a great group of people, and unexpectedly there was a Wrangler and a Cherokee to make up the Jeep contingent amongst the ubiquitous Land Rovers. We had no major issues other than a puncture on the Renegade and a massive amount of dust to clean off inside and out!

Some pics and a video from my dash cam:

I0000HAqAOVUBfBc.jpg

I0000JiAvr1xtgyM.jpg

I0000i5uZ7sVZVqQ.jpg

I0000bfLWVX3W5R4.jpg

I0000tbrv8gMvvbU.jpg

I0000sBx7iODZzQw.jpg

[video=vimeo;166882515]https://vimeo.com/166882515[/video]

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
awesome rigs and fab work! great job. Good to see the gade getting dirty too. in its natural habitat.

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks Kojack, we all had a great day out in the forests.

Some more pics:

Lunch stop...

I0000_AueGp5514o.jpg

The afternoon sections were a lot drier and dustier...

I0000.0aOM5eUKq0.jpg

I0000c2mvAozfHeA.jpg

I0000xR5OkW0AUDU.jpg

I00002vgAwpAUc4Y.jpg

Packing up for the trip home...

I0000RC3aqMj6Xv0.jpg

The aftermath...

I0000xVlilInkwK0.jpg

I0000ORkSQ7pvZ0w.jpg

I0000OG5daclZKVc.jpg

I0000zZQ2s688nUs.jpg

The cleanup can wait until the weekend, but I did treat the GC to new air filter as soon as I got home.

I00009TrFqgY_MwA.jpg

I0000xBjzSQ_Ttjw.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1