What is on your Work Bench right now?!?

Deleted Member 183

I going to try this thread to see if I can "invigorate" you DIY hooligans into posting about what kind of "cool" stuff you are working on! Granted, quite a few of us here have already built our rigs. But if you are anything like myself, you have other neat projects you are working on ALL THE TIME. Be it on your bench, garage, barn, or back yard... Please share!

Here I'll start:

I have my wonderful shop, however the weather is so good here year round that I prefer to work in my "shop yard" if I can. Though the problem has been that my main tool box is in the middle of the shop and I am constantly go in and out to get my necessary tools. So the week before last I designed an alternative solution.

My rolling yard "work station":

rbench_l.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

s.e.charles

looks like something which can save some steps back & forth.

did you disconnect the latching mechanism to allow the toolbox drawers to open with the top storage closed, or do you remove the box from the cart to access it?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Fun!

When you own, drive and work "Old Junk" your kinda always tinkering on something keeping them running. The current "repair de jour" is fixing a blown head gasket on our 55 year old FJ55 LC Plow Pig, while also prepping my "Expo Scooter" for the Loveland OE Event this week!
IMG_7268.pngIMG_4266.jpegIMG_4268.jpegIMG_7206.jpegIMG_7205.jpegIMG_7265.jpegIMG_7253.jpegIMG_7266.png

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I like this idea lol.

I have one of those everything built in work benches so I guess I technically have a table saw, welder, miter saw, tons of boxes of tools and stuff built in.

On top of the benches I have Junk that gets cleared one day and by the weekend its full of more junk. I don't put things away until it gets too messy I cant add additional junk on top of that, then stress clean lol. On top is everything from tools and car parts to baby clothes going to attic and boxes of chalk and bubbles.

ThundahBeagle

I have an older Cobra 29 that was modded for upper and lower side and by an expert. Unfortunately on a trip out west, I believe we were hit by lightning, as the YD 1022 audio ic got fried as we outran a tornado. That YD1022 is an elusive unicorn.

Also. I have a Milwaukee grinder, some Gator sandpaper with blocks, some PPG (previously Sikkens) stain and some Wooster Pro brushes I have been using to refinish the outside of the log cabin, though all this rain is making it slow-going

First pic: bottom logs are current condition (!) before sanding, even, while top logs are after sand and restain.

Second pic: front corner after sanding

Third pic: same corner after staining
Fourth pic: close up of water beading off after rain

Brazilian flag: My lady is Brasilian. The U.S. flag had been taken down as it occupied the front corner I was working in. It has since been replaced

20230827_103239.jpg20230904_102117.jpg20230909_063818.jpg20230909_063925.jpg

ThundahBeagle

Fun!

When you own, drive and work "Old Junk" your kinda always tinkering on something keeping them running. The current "repair de jour" is fixing a blown head gasket on our 55 year old FJ55 LC Plow Pig, while also prepping my "Expo Scooter" for the Loveland OE Event this week!
View attachment 849359View attachment 849360View attachment 849361View attachment 849362View attachment 849363View attachment 849364View attachment 849365View attachment 849366

Ah, and the Banquet Beer! Between that and the Champagne of Beers, not sure which I consume more of on a hot summer evening after working on brakes, or the house

ripperj

Explorer
Two boxes of PSC power steering stuff from Trail Tough for real power steering in my Samurai.
It will have to wait a bit as I’m getting my Northstar TC800 ready for a 12 day trip to Prince Edward Island next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I have an older Cobra 29 that was modded for upper and lower side and by an expert. Unfortunately on a trip out west, I believe we were hit by lightning, as the YD 1022 audio ic got fried as we outran a tornado. That YD1022 is an elusive unicorn.

Also. I have a Milwaukee grinder, some Gator sandpaper with blocks, some PPG (previously Sikkens) stain and some Wooster Pro brushes I have been using to refinish the outside of the log cabin, though all this rain is making it slow-going

First pic: bottom logs are current condition (!) before sanding, even, while top logs are after sand and restain.

Second pic: front corner after sanding

Third pic: same corner after staining
Fourth pic: close up of water beading off after rain

Brazilian flag: My lady is Brasilian. The U.S. flag had been taken down as it occupied the front corner I was working in. It has since been replaced

View attachment 849422View attachment 849423View attachment 849424View attachment 849425
Beautiful job! Beautiful Cabin! Welldone!

I can relate to the upkeep on a log home. Ours is 30 years old this year and I've been researching and gathering the necessary supplies to do a full cleaning, chinking and re-staining next year.....not looking forward to it either!
The price of things today just simply drives me nuts. The house was re-stained (cleaned, chinked, etc...) 10 years ago (just before we bought it) and cost $4000. Now, because it's 2024, Boulder and the mountain premium has hit hard because of all the VRBOs and people moving into the mountains, the bids are coming in at $12k-$18k! Ouch....

LMK if you have any advice from your project.
IMG_20201224_121344461.jpeg

Deleted Member 183

did you disconnect the latching mechanism to allow the toolbox drawers to open with the top storage closed, or do you remove the box from the cart to access it?

#C: All of the above! If you look at the bottom sides to the tool box you will see that it is mounted on drawer slides. In the center and below the box you can see a keychain fob that I repurposed as a lock to keep the tool box in place while I'm rolling the cart between locations.

ThundahBeagle

Two boxes of PSC power steering stuff from Trail Tough for real power steering in my Samurai.
It will have to wait a bit as I’m getting my Northstar TC800 ready for a 12 day trip to Prince Edward Island next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just came back from PEI almost a month ago. Love that island

ThundahBeagle

Beautiful job! Beautiful Cabin! Welldone!

I can relate to the upkeep on a log home. Ours is 30 years old this year and I've been researching and gathering the necessary supplies to do a full cleaning, chinking and re-staining next year.....not looking forward to it either!
The price of things today just simply drives me nuts. The house was re-stained (cleaned, chinked, etc...) 10 years ago (just before we bought it) and cost $4000. Now, because it's 2024, Boulder and the mountain premium has hit hard because of all the VRBOs and people moving into the mountains, the bids are coming in at $12k-$18k! Ouch....

LMK if you have any advice from your project.
View attachment 849426

Your home and homestead, sir, are gorgeous.

Ours is just a ranch on an acre with no view. Your saltbox design with that view - beautiful.

I have buckets full of advice, sir.

Also, looks like your log home, like mine, is non traditional. No cope-cutting at the ends to fit log into log. They call our design "a butt and pass". They may be natural or rounded on the sides, but the top and bottoms of these logs are flat with the exception of a groove along the bottom with a tongue along the top. There is (or should be) a gasket atop the tongue, and the logs are "abutting" each other at the corners. Every 2 or 3 courses of logs are pinned together with rebar or smooth,purpose made pins.

There is likely seldom more than half an inch between each log course, sometimes no space at all, I'm guessing. You may not need chinking, but caulking will help.

The lowest 3 course of logs are not logs, that is a 2x4 framed area sitting atop the foundation with half logs used to cover that sill plate. Your electric and such is run through there.

Where your Buick is parked, just under the stairs, that corner and whole wall is also not logs, but more foundation or stick frame covered with half rounds to keep appearance the same as the top.

Were your logs hand peeled with bits of bark and knots and even the first inch or so of some cut branches still present? If so and if you want to keep that appearance, it gets a little tricky. I'm sanding to bare wood by hand to preserve those rustic qualities, though I start of gently with the grinder where heavy, old multiple applications of stain still live.

Sorry for the Wall Of Text. Since starting this project I have done a lot of research and am very passionate about it.

I'll hit you up via DM

Deleted Member 183

OH COME ON YOU GUYS!!!!

I am just trying to provoke an "Anchor point of comradery" here! I get it ... most adventure travel is basically "yesterdays news" and RIGHT NOW for many of us it is on our back burner, but that does not mean it is dead and gone! I think there is a WONDERFUL group we have here and am just curious as to what you're "wrenching" on!

So PLEASE POST AND SHARE stuff you have worked on, modified, built, repaired, or restored!

Last edited:

Deleted Member 183

One of my most resent projests:

I just repurposed a Lista Machine tool cart into a stereo cart for a MONSTER vintage 1970's stereo. The stereo was the sound system for the auditorium of a small ultra liberal collage in the NE USA that went bankrupt in the mid 1970's. The dear friend that gave it to me was a photography professor at the collage and somehow got the system.

I found a piece of 1" titanium and slightly machined 2 of the last generation Cook Bros. Racing stems to make a handle for it. I also built a cart of 1970's JBL speakers so that I can move the whole system from the shop, to the house, or out to the firepit for yard parties!

1724285871854.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1