What to check on a possible purchase of a Gen 2.5?

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
I'm sure this has been covered, but either my search parameters are terrible or it hasn't.

I'm possibly picking up a 99 Gen 2.5 (hopefully). I'm very competent as a mechanic (hobbyist). I plan to have equipment with me. But other than seals in the sunroof, the water pump and timing chain, what do I need to check specifically?

What do I need to go over and watch out for? This one had a new engine at 80k due to a faulty head gasket that was not repaired properly and leaked coolant into the engine. Is this common? Look for more signs?

Any help would be helpful, my last Monty was a 94 SR and I'm dying to get back into one. Helping me pick a good would be much appreciated.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
A good documented maintenance history is always a good sign.....the old test drive is the best eval beyond that imo. I always rock a good flashlight and I’m not afraid to crawl around under it a bit looking for anything odd. At the end of the day driving it is the best test.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
from personal experience, the light bulbs in the dash tend to burn out after 15 years or so, particularly the ones indicating you are 4wd. Also, the actuator for the front diff to go into 4wd is often sticky from under use. You have to work the system in and out of 4wd a few times to free it up. valve cover seals near the back of the motor tend to leak, sometimes a lot. Exhaust headers tend to crack and are expensive and difficult to replace. The turn signal unit on the steering column tends to go bad, but is an easy/cheap fix. The clock spring on my 98 went bad, killed the horn. The speakers have speaker cones that rot away and need replacement after a few dozen years in the sun. The door locks are wonky due to a rubber limit stop that decomposes over time. Easy fix.

Thats about it.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
This one wouldn't happen to be in North Carolina would it?

Yes, someone beat me to it by a few hours though. I was a 7.5 hour drive, and the buyer was only one hour away. Needless to say I've been swearing all weekend. I hope whomever got it, knows the gem they just got and does well by it.

Kidkb

Yes, someone beat me to it by a few hours though. I was a 7.5 hour drive, and the buyer was only one hour away. Needless to say I've been swearing all weekend. I hope whomever got it, knows the gem they just got and does well by it.

Don't worry I'm in the same boat! I told the seller I was going to buy it, finalized the shipping arrangements, called him to get some details and he told me he sold it. Sigh. Oh well. I agree with you there, I hope it was an enthusiast who scooped it up. Best of luck on your search!

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
You know what sucks? What really sucks? I had a buddy go by and check it out for me before I made the drive. I could have wired him the money and he could have bought it right there. The buyer showed up as he was leaving. DAMNIT

Kidkb

You know what sucks? What really sucks? I had a buddy go by and check it out for me before I made the drive. I could have wired him the money and he could have bought it right there. The buyer showed up as he was leaving. DAMNIT

Ugh man, that does suck! Have you been looking for a while? Having a tough time finding these in as good as shape as this one was. Wish I had more patience lol.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
Ugh man, that does suck! Have you been looking for a while? Having a tough time finding these in as good as shape as this one was. Wish I had more patience lol.

10 years. Found an Endeavor about 5 years ago that was perfect, but had my first son so cash flow was focused on what we may need, versus toys.

TNMontero

Old Monty fan
10 years? Oh my gosh I might as well give up now LOL

Timing can be the devil. I see these as a toy for my stable, and sometimes the cash flow is there, and sometimes not. Seems my finds always happen when I should be smart with my funds, not spendy on a toy. I've seen them, and had to pass on them. Life first, toys second. Now I actually have funds set aside for my Montero, I just need to find one. This is the 3rd one I've missed out on due to unforseen circumstances. But the green one was definitely a gem. My first Montero was that same color so I was jonesing for it. But if it's any consolation, my buddy said the undercarriage was an oil slick. Looked like the rear main seal was going, or gone.

WyoTero

10 years. Found an Endeavor about 5 years ago that was perfect, but had my first son so cash flow was focused on what we may need, versus toys.
Lol and I thought I had it hard looking for 3+ years. I'm honestly so sick of waiting I'm looking at gen 1 xterras now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1