What's in your vehicle spares kit?

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Bringing this up because a friend of mine had me go pick up spare axle shafts and the whole assembly since I'm locked on 33'' tires that there is a tendency to sometimes break a shaft...

other than that now, I carry my toolbox with me which has hand tools, BFH, SFH duct tape and misc items like wire, bolts, fuses etc. Full size spare is a must.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
This is my plan, based on what I did before.

Electrical: (Renix)

-CPS (a must)
-TPS (a must)
-IAC (nice, PITA when jeep won't idle)
-CTS (have it because it's small, I probably wouldn't change it anyways)
-O2 (have because it's small)
-Coil (needed sometimes)
-Computer (smallish, light, have a spare. Rarely, very rarely, does a renix one fail...)
-2 spark plugs
-Alternator (long trips only)
-Misc fuses
-Couple bosch relays
-Winch solenoid

Didn't think about an injector or two... They're small, and I have plenty.

Other parts:

-Spare 1410 and 1350 u-joints
-Spare manual hub
-U-bolts (for axle yokes)
-1 1.25" shanked jonney joint and jamb nut
-Hose clamps, small assortment
-Serpentine belt
-Misc small hardware
-Oil filter

Tools:

-Spindle sockets for front and rear
-Allan key for hubs (only need one)
-Misc SAE tools (working on having ONLY what is on the jeep)
-Misc Metric tools (see above)
-Misc screwdrivers, pliers, etc
-Gerbenschloben, AKA Knipex adjustable wrenchs, medium and large size
-Big hammer
-Big brass drift

Consumables:

-5 minute epoxy
-Grease
-6 quarts engine oil
-4 quarts gear oil
-1 quart PS fluid
-Brake fluid
-2 quarts ATF
-Silicone sealant
-Pro-seal (PRC)
-Brake clean
-Shop rags (small box)
-Rubber gloves
-Zip ties
-Scotchbrite
-Popsicle sticks
-Green and red loctite
-Lockwire, .032 and .041
-Electrical ends, etc
-20' of 16ga wire
-Duct tape (can't forget that)

I think thats it

oh come on, you can fit more than that! why not carry a couple of spare engines and axles as well??? :sombrero::sombrero:

overloaded-truck-3c9.jpg

poohbearusvi

We carry all the required basics. But because we usually go on our trips alone, we always carry our tent, sleeping bags, freeze dried food and extra water. Oh, and we always bring our satellite phone with us.

Momrocks

Adventurer
Heck of a list Root. Can't see any fault in any of it. I don't see very much practicality in carrying all of that with you though. Spares lists are a good idea but can spiral out of control. Example is the Rover boys and their D1 Critical spares list. I just went through it and figured out that if you had each of the spares listed in that thread you would be one bonnet and two fenders short of a road worthy Discovery1. There are any number of "what ifs" and "could happens" that you can never out plan every possibility. IMHO the best preparation is forethought. It is all a game of probabilities. Each rig and each road increases and decreases probabilities of component failures individually. What routinely breaks on my XJ may not on yours because you're a better mechanic or better driver. No such thing as one list fits all.

I think that list is great, but I would use it as "how do I address _________?" Past experience with your rig may indicate you need to carry spares X, Y & Z. Some items on the list you may need to source, but have it at home to be retrieved or sent as required. In reality how far are we away from a source of parts, we've established we are never more than 100 miles from a McDonalds. One of the best things about owning a Cherokee is that parts are super abundant and super cheap. Some spares may be left up to local purchase...it all depends on where you will travel and how hard you want to slug it out on the trail.

'

Heck of a list Root. ....
'

^^^
well stated.

my first thought was disbelief that one would consider carrying all that through an expo in the US. there are definitely merits to each piece (you forgot to list the .45 and mini-14 :D) but in totality- seems like way too much to me unless you're travelling to south america and back again.

i am certainly no seasoned expert- but i think having a sound rig prior to entering the trails is the best insurance and preventative measure you can take.

the lists could be endless... and certainly this thread has made me think a little more- but the longer the list the more cumbersome and less fun the adventure becomes.

just my ho.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
What do those jungle racer guys carry? Like in the Camel Trophy race?

I know the Dakar race has support trucks with loads of parts, but the jungle is quite different than open desert.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Great discussion.

A lot of it depends on where you are going.

FWIW, if you drive a manual transmission and you felt that you could conceivably find a section of flat ground long enough to bump start your vehicle I think you might be able to delete the starter from the list. Conversely, a dead starter in a manual transmission rig and a technical trail could get pretty tiresome.

I'll concede that wheel bearings are over-kill. :)

I built my rig such that I don't have to worry about breaking axle shafts - much. I'll probably think about carrying spares all the same though. I'm just like that.

The really bulky part of the list is the fluids. For wheeling out this way I don't think it is a good idea to leave that behind if you are running solo or in small numbers and don't want to turn around a lot - particularly in the spring.

I made the list as a starting point. Think "everything you could possibly need" and then pare back to your comfort level depending on where you are going.

bigredcherokee

Observer
U joints
Spare left and right shafts for D30
Zip ties
Tape
ratchet straps

And just about any thing else I can stuff in to the back of the YJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1