When is it time to patch the rust holes?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I had to put the body back on rusty cause deer season was fast approaching.
It was supposed to be temporary but that was 9 years ago.

Now, just imagine how long it’ll actually take you to weld and patch multiple areas. Get a new or used tub and don’t look back.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I had to put the body back on rusty cause deer season was fast approaching.
It was supposed to be temporary but that was 9 years ago.

I would send some pictures of the series rover I took apart “to fix a few things” but it was so long ago that photos weren’t digital and it still isn’t back together!

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I would send some pictures of the series rover I took apart “to fix a few things” but it was so long ago that photos weren’t digital and it still isn’t back together!

Oh trust me, I know how those projects grow, especially body work projects........ that’s why I say find a tub.

86scotty

Cynic
The only thing better than the title of this post is Nater's quote below

Not until you start dropping stuff through when it roll across the floor or mud/ice/rocks hit you while driving. Otherwise those holes just help you confirm the transfer case engaged.

note: your acceptance of this opinion is likely based on the size/type/aggressiveness of any wife/girlfriend/significant other you might be working with

note: based on you having a CJ with holes in the floor, the note above might not apply

My rule of thumb is generally wallet/cell phone size since those two items always seem to find themselves hitting the floor of a Jeep.

NEIA Nomad

The instant that you see rust starting to develop you fix it patch it do whatever you have to do to fracking kill it! Among my many talents is the restoration of classic cars. Kill rust, kill it dead!

direwolf82

Not until you start dropping stuff through when it roll across the floor or mud/ice/rocks hit you while driving. Otherwise those holes just help you confirm the transfer case engaged.

note: your acceptance of this opinion is likely based on the size/type/aggressiveness of any wife/girlfriend/significant other you might be working with

note: based on you having a CJ with holes in the floor, the note above might not apply

Yup, this is the key right here.
I'm an old fashioned Jeep guy from new England, if your feet don't fall through yet just keep using it. Not sure how many times I taped a hole and shot undercoat on it to pass inspections, when your 18 that sounds like a really good idea but nowadays I've moved on to aluminum diamond plate patches. I'm clearly not building show vehicles for myself huh?
Got to love a body on frame vehicle.
I usually refer to rust holes as drainage vents personally and old jeeps just seem to grow them, it's their way of saying the factory should have put them in from get go. Haha.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1