Where can I shoot?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I do carry my custom titanium walking stick with a very sharp pointed tip on it.

All of my vehicles do have an appropriate tool in them. It is funny that the most convenient place to store said tool is either alongside behind the drivers seat and in all the years and inspections it has never been called a weapon by a LEO.

Remember that the lug wrench included with every car was meant to take off properly torqued lug nuts at best and is useless if the kid used the big impact gun

Of course this won’t work in a convertible Porsche
I went to Baja for 45 yrs and we carried a baseball bat and mitt. Even a small knife in the cab was technically illegal. I carry a tire iron behind the seat of the Ram.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
As a medic, I can say that wasp spray, is effective....it is also a neurotoxin and can cause health concerns,

the dry powder from an fire extinguisher also can work great as a self defense, but once the powder gets into someone's lungs in a large volume can be fatal. Much like a spray( in moderation) to blind, and then impact to fleshy parts with the base of the unit.

lots of research, take a CCW class for your home state, and then apply for the Utah permit. Then download the " CCW" app. It helps to identify what states honor your permits, and has quite a few useful features. Ill scren shot and add to this from my phone.

Last edited:

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
This app, allows me to input what states I have a CC licence in, and shows me where it's honored. Also, has laws in each state, etc.

For reference, a Utah and Oregon CC are what this is showing.

a859e002535d6a5c37e85d584dba87c0.jpg

Sent from my magical BlackBerry pocket tool, somewhere remote. Happy Tails & Safe Travels

Last edited:

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
As a medic, I can say that wasp spray, is effective....it is also a neurotoxin and can cause health concerns,

the dry powder from an fire extinguisher also can work great as a self defense, but once the powder gets into someone's lungs in a large volume can be fatal. Much like a spray( in moderation) to blind, and then impact to fleshy parts with the body of the unit.

lots of research, take a CCW class for your home state, and then apply for the Utah permit. Then download the " CCW" app. It helps to identify what states honor your permits, and has quite a few useful features. Ill scren shot and add to this from my phone.

Really great points.....What seems to be missed in so many of the these conversations is the full understanding of the nuance of the cited laws, for example the use of the term "reasonable" and the fact the Prosecutor makes that decision when charging and not the Police when making a PC arrest...........So, for example: How many hits with the bat while defending oneself is reasonable?
BTW, the cited Idaho "Defense of Self" statute is a heck of a statute but, it still requires a full understanding of its protections and limitations (cited crimes it can be used during). Violence is never simple.......

GTI-88

I have not read all the posts and some posts I don't see but two things when it comes to protecting your family and yourself. A gun locked in a box won't do you any good and better judged by 12 than carried by 6 (cliches I know).
Being from Montana everybody had a gun or multiple guns in their vehicle, heck never knew when you were going to have to shoot a rattlesnake...pretty sure most jurisdictions look at things differently when carrying something with the intention of committing a crime vs protecting yourself. Anybody have a draw full of steak knives or a tool box full of hammers?

Although I may agree with your sentiment, it's not an excuse for abiding by the laws of the state you are in or traveling through. We are talking about storing firearms in a vehicle, not a home. In your home you can take reasonable measures in regards to your personal situation if you want to have firearms stored outside of a safe.

On the road there is much more opportunity for someone to break into the vehicle and easily access your firearms if they are not stored and locked in bolted down containers. This is still only a deterrent, but much better than thrown in a glovebox or wherever in the vehicle.

In my opinion there are a lot of dumb rules about firearms, but having them locked up in a safe or hard storage container in a vehicle when not in use is not one of them. Having mags / ammo separate from the firearm... That I don't agree with, but again I rather either abide by the law or choose not to travel to those states.

Last edited:

VanWaLife

I liked the suggestion for national concealed carry. One's ability for self defense should not depend on what state you are in, that's my opinion. Would really like to see compromise on gun legislation. As a for instance, I would be willing to jump through more hoops for my CC if it were nationally recognized. I'd happily give up my high capacity magazines in exchange for national pre-emption of bans on other so called assault rifle features. I know some see this as 2A heresy, "shall not be infringed" and all that, but the supreme court has made it clear AR bans and limits on CC are not constitutional issues.

As far as the bat / wasp spray thing goes, it will be very hard for some of us to argue the intent of carrying these things was anything other than for use as a deadly weapon if we use these items in a self defense setting and the ensuing investigation looks at our posts on ExPo. Thus even if the self defense is deemed justified (less likely if you lie about the reason you are carrying the bat to LE at first), you could still be on the hook for a pretty serious weapons charge. For me personally my guess is most criminals assaulting me are going to be better at hand-to-hand combat than I am, thus I would not attempt to defend myself with a bat unless I was prepared to have my head bashed in with it.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
It is unfortunate there's such an onus of self education and research involved with exercising your 2A - when I moved to another state a while back I called the local sheriff's dept (who was taking my CC application) and asked about the local laws. They didn't have clear answers really, such as when I asked, "OK if I don't have to have a CC permit to have a (loaded) firearm in my vehicle, but I can't carry outside of the vehicle or home, how do I transport a firearm from home to vehicle or from place to place?"

"Oh, just use a gun case and it's legal"

"OK, what is a legal gun case and what's not? Does it have to be locked?"

"We don't know"

And this is the dept issuing the permits

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
It is unfortunate there's such an onus of self education and research involved with exercising your 2A - when I moved to another state a while back I called the local sheriff's dept (who was taking my CC application) and asked about the local laws. They didn't have clear answers really, such as when I asked, "OK if I don't have to have a CC permit to have a (loaded) firearm in my vehicle, but I can't carry outside of the vehicle or home, how do I transport a firearm from home to vehicle or from place to place?"

"Oh, just use a gun case and it's legal"

"OK, what is a legal gun case and what's not? Does it have to be locked?"

"We don't know"

And this is the dept issuing the permits

But haven't you heard, the Police can't be trusted to interpret the laws......(although, this statement regarding enforcement and courts isn't correct either since it's missing a critical step......) Go figure........

Unfortunately, a police officer is not a reliable source of interpretation regarding laws passed by a legislature - even though they're the ones who enforce them. That's why we have courts. So while seemingly reasonable and that may guide his and some of his colleagues' decisions related to law enforcement, buyer beware on that piece of advice....

Quite frankly, given the litigious world we live in I'm surprised they would provide any advice that may be considered as "legal advice" or "product usage/advice" as it applies to the interpretation of the CC legislation within your state. Most agencies would simply refer you to the law for you to make your own determination or seek the advice of an attorney.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

Quite frankly, given the litigious world we live in I'm surprised they would provide any advice that may be considered as "legal advice" or "product usage/advice" as it applies to the interpretation of the CC legislation within your state. Most agencies would simply refer you to the law for you to make your own determination or seek the advice of an attorney.

The police officer should have couched his advice from the perspective of how he would approach that situation in isolation. Police have leeway in enforcing laws. My guess is his opinion would change of he rolled up on an RV reeking of cat piss with persons of certain backgrounds occupying it.

Random inspection at an agriculture checkpoint in the Southwest? Assuming the driver was polite, obedient, legit and had not recently crossed the border, no sweat, thanks for your time sir, please make sure that case stays locked, have a nice day.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
As always, that elephant in the room is the laws themselves.

Regardless of original intention, it would be easy to argue that said laws fail to help/save anyone or anything due to the various ways of interpreting them.

Instead, all they do is cause grief.

LEOs are expected to understand the law well enough to enforce.
Citizens are expected to understand the law well enough to follow.
Courts are expected to understand the law well enough to sort out any miscommunication/misinterpretation of the laws.

Expecting ANYONE to understand or interpret as written, on the spot, the gross number of laws we have is ridiculous.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
The police officer should have couched his advice from the perspective of how he would approach that situation in isolation. Police have leeway in enforcing laws. My guess is his opinion would change of he rolled up on an RV reeking of cat piss with persons of certain backgrounds occupying it.

or, as it's known: Officer discretion based on the totality of the circumstances as drawn from their training, experience, morals, ethics, law, community standard, agency policy, agency mandate, knowledge of crime in the area, contextual and mitigating factors, yada, yada, yada......So, while the officer most certainly could have given hypothetical advice from his/her perspective, they certainly could not speak for all the officers and their perspective based on the same set of facts therefore, agency liability may attach since their advice could be considered a legal advice to possibly circumvent the law.

I would agree with your last sentence based on the different set of facts and circumstances provided.

Last edited:

Porkchopexpress

This app, allows me to input what states I have a CC licence in, and shows me where it's honored. Also, has laws in each state, etc.
a859e002535d6a5c37e85d584dba87c0.jpg

Sent from my magical BlackBerry pocket tool, somewhere remote. Happy Tails & Safe Travels
It's funny how there are a few states that are relatively lax with gun control yet don't honor each other's permits almost like a tit for tat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design