Where did you ride this last weekend?

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
To revive an old thread.....

I figured 3500 miles was enough asphault for the 650gs, and since it was a holiday and all....what better time to introduce the bike (and myself) to dirt. Now, I gotta say....I have spent quite a bit of time on dirt and rocks with 4 tires underneath me...and very little with just 2 tires under me. Holy crap what a difference 2 tires makes! This is a whole different world. The only bikes I have had off road (10 years ago) were a couple little dirt bikes (a 250 and 350 that we would bum from friends when I was in the military). Even then, it was a weekend every year or so.

So, I wandered down to Helvetia. Close to home, dirt roads in good shape with some side roads of varying difficulty. I figured I would just pick and choose to keep myself out of trouble. Yea, that didn't work.

The bike has a few new scratches, some rock rash, a broken mirror, bent shift lever, and a whole lot of dirt on it. It's not too heavy to pick up from its side on level ground (like the bottom of a dry sandy wash), but pulling it out of a gully when it is about 1/2 way between "on its side" and "upside down" wasn't fun.

The trip pointed out a couple of things I need to change on the bike to make it a little more robust for the washed out fire roads (and my supurb ability to dump it in the deepest hole in the area----I felt like the "FlyingWil of dual sports").

Anywhoo....just one photo stop (the rest of the time I was busy picking my bike up and cussing to myself).

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
goodtimes said:
The trip pointed out a couple of things I need to change on the bike to make it a little more robust for the washed out fire roads (and my supurb ability to dump it in the deepest hole in the area----I felt like the "FlyingWil of dual sports").

Ouch, that is hitting below the belt! :hehe:

Glad you made it out ok, and did not need a winch (like my hole encounter of the third kind!)

etbadger

Adventurer
Hltoppr said:
For me, it was a 1200 mile jaunt through S. Colorado and N. New Mexico!

I think I recall someone saying that a GS couldn't do the high, off road passes in Colorado...unless the rider was a bit nuts...

Glad I take that as a challenge!

Nice pics.

In July when going through the San Juans we passed a guy on an old (mid/late 80's) Gold-Wing coming down Imogene Pass towards Silverton. He was about at the half-way point (a mile or so west from the pass), grinning like an idiot, wearing shorts and cowboy boots, riding a loaded fully-faired bike. I have no idea how he managed it, but I admired his guts.

-Erik

Clutch

<---Pass
I only rode one day this past weekend, I helped with a trash clean up at the Wild Horse Bar in Peoria, AZ. The State land department closed this area because of the growing dust problem there, mainly because of uneducated ATV riders. Members from my dirt bike club and another were the only offroaders that showed up, infact we were the only people to show up.

The day went well, we fill two rolloff dumpsters and one other guy and me posted new road closure signs.

The next day my friends and I rode the Mile Marker 11.5 off of HWY 74 and did a 40 mile single track ride. We tried to ride each other into the ground. I am beat from the the whole weekend.

Here is a friend's picture of the "Small Falls" from August.

http://www.southmountainbiker.com/images/dbpics/milemarkers/Oasis8-13-06/PICT0066.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design