Which Class B to convert to 4x4?

cglass

Observer
WARNING LONG POST!!!

Hey guys! I could use your input on converting a class B van based RV to 4x4. This rig will be used mostly to travel to remote fishing spots in Baja (beach and washboard roads) as well as exploring the old Spanish Missions (some medium 4x4 trails and old roads)

I had what was pretty close to my ideal Baja rig in my old F250 with a pop up camper. The things I didn't like about that set up where:

No pass through to the back on the road. We were always packed in the extra cab truck and if the wife or daughter need a bathroom break or wanted to grab something out of the fridge etc...we needed to stop and open up the back.

I also didn't really like the hassle of opening the top and hooking up the awning and unloading all the gear from the camper to set up camp. Sometimes we would get somewhere late, set up everything and then in the morning, have to run into town for supplies and that meant breaking down everything, dropping the top, running around, just to have to set it up all over again.

I don't like the Sportsmobiles cause they usually don't have a bathroom and you need to pop the top to have standing headroom and when you make the upper bed, you loose that, and they are pretty damn expensive!

So I've been looking at getting a class B mobile home in the $10K range and converting it to 4x4 using a Dana 60 on leafs up front, a divorced Atlas 4.3 transfer case and enough lift/trimming to clear 35" tires. I also plan on lockers but I'm not sure which ones...

The advice I need is on choosing the van platform:

I like the RoadTrek RV's for the layout and the low roof line and standing headroom. Cons: I've heard that they drop the floors in these and that can weaken the overall van so it might not stand up to washboard roads and mild twisting on the 4x4 routes.

That leaves the bubble top vans from dodge, Ford & Chevy. Cons are the huge bubble top with upstairs sleeping can make the van tippy and easy to ********** on trees etc on the trail.

I also found a RoadTrek based on a Chevy Van but in addition to the lower floor, I've heard it can be a pain to convert these year Chevy's to 4x4 because the body/frame welded together ot unitbody...

I do really like the Roadtreks, I'm just not sure about the long term survivability of 'em.

The last one is a Ford van with a pop top but no sleeping up top. I'm leaning towards one of these as it isn't as high as the others with upstairs beds and it still has everything I need/want inside. I'm thinking the SAS will be simplest on one of these:

Any thoughts on these or other options? Am I wrong in thinking it will be a easy as throwing the axle & divorced T-Case in there, armor it up & go?

Please let me know!

Here is a picture of my friend Art's old 4x4 Class B on the road to one of the missions we visit. The wide body of this Class B rules it out for me but this shows the road I hope to travel!

Here is my old truck/camper and I hope to build the van to a similar level:

And last but not least here are some sexy girls because everybody likes sexy girls!

Last edited:

jatorresrv

Observer
Here is our 2006 Roadtrek, or SportsTrek as I call it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnquuU0fqBI playing in the backyard (Sonoran Desert, AZ). And another one on a road trip with 2 dogs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMyK79dbPp4. Although the second video only has still pictures without video it is well known that getting up to Engineer Pass is NOT a paved road or was it on the other side to get down either. The 4x4 conversion was done in Utah by Advanced 4WD Systems http://www.advanced4x4vans.com Dec 2006. The only issue with the conversion was the front water tank had to lose less than a liter of space in order to place a welded bracket at that location so the tank had to be cut and plastic welded, other then that the conversion was unremarkable. Our conversion hit the 7yr mark Dec 2013 with better than expected performance, on the highway and off. As for off-road, about 3% of total miles, I have to remind myself it is a RV that is VERY 4x4 capable and NOT a 4x4 vehicle that JUST happens to be a RV. Meaning, its limitation are the tanks under the vehicle and the storage compartments/shirt around the vehicle's bottom. Today it has just over 144k miles and been coast to coast and border to border, actually Sep-Oct 2013 I drove it to Panama and back holding its own very well over the omnipresent potholes and the multitude of missed speed bumps, with only the front sway bar weld cracking just as I was leaving Belize and heading back home. However, was not an issue as I was able to secure it with a strap and drive home, actually it still has the strap on today. NOTE TO SELF: I need to fix that.

You said, "I like the RoadTrek RV's for [1] the layout and [2] the low roof line and [3] standing headroom. Cons: [4] I've heard that they drop the floors in these and that can weaken the overall van so it might not stand up to washboard roads and mild twisting on the 4x4 routes."
And you are mostly correct. (1) The layout, although I joke when I show it off that while using the toilet I can use the stove, wash dishes, use the microwave and raid the refrigerator all at once, it is a WELL-THOUGHTOUT layout. (2) The low roof line, yes, also great, however, mine has a 4" lift putting the top at almost 10' with the solar panel and the InMotion satellite on top. When I find low hanging branches on the trails, twice that has happened, I climb on the bumper and do some conservative tree trimming. Besides that, its only limitations with regard to its height has been NOT being able to park in parking structures and on a windy day on interstate highways I have to slow down, maybe 10mph less than posted speed limits, as the crosswinds are notable. No big deal either, because although it can hold its own at 90mph, I should NOT be driving that fast. (3) Yes, standing head room, which includes, as you eluded to, "pass through to the back on the road". I cannot tell you the number of times my life has gotten up from the front passenger seat to use the bathroom, pop popcorn in the microwave or made sandwiches, NEVER at the same time, as I drive down the road, at 80mph; she doesn't like it when I drive 90mph. And NEVER have we had to go OUTSIDE to set anything up in the dark. And! And! If you need to BUGOUT suddenly, as I did when I was in Mazatlan, Mexico, as long as nothing is set up outside, worth keeping, or connected, you can jump in the driver's seat and drive away, as I did in Mazatlan, without having to go outside for anything. (4) They do drop the floor in the galley. However, "weaken the overall van" as you mentioned, I do not think so, it has NEVER been an issue for us and I have taken it through much washboard and a whole lot more than "mild twisting". Actually, the drive from San Felipe, Mexico to Coco's Corner I averaged 20-25mph on the unmaintained section and I have taken it through trails similar to the one posted of your "friend Art's old 4x4 Class B on the road to one of the missions". Again, although VERY capable off-road I have to remind myself its a RV first. Just to add, as for the inside of the Roadtrek on those roads one of the shower/toilet door corners came loose, easily fixed with Gorilla glue and never an issue again, and I think a total of one, maybe two, screws have come unscrewed inside without any of the cabinets falling off, EVER, after all the shaking and rattling of the Roadtrek on unmaintained roads. That alone speaks volumes as to Roadtrek's craftsmanship. Hope that wasn't to long but more important I hope that it helps with your decision making.

BTW, as much as I hate to announce, I will be selling our SportsTrek come mid to end Jan 2014.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
<snip>..... on the road to one of the missions we visit.
DSC01330_zps90fab959.jpg
Hummm, now I see why you want to travel down those rough roads to visit the missions :sombrero:
-
I like the RoadTrek. With the lift you plan you would gain any ground clearance lost by the dropped floor.
-
-
BTW jatorresrv, very nice rig !

cglass

Observer
The Ford van conversion is lookin' to be my first choice for this but the trouble is finding one...

The RoadTrek based on the Dodge is a lot more popular and all over Craigslist in my price range. I'll hold out for a while and see if I can find a cool Ford, if not I'll go with the Roadtrek.

Pathfinder 4x4 isn't around anymore but from the pictures I've found, it looks like they used Ford type radius arms and coil springs. I also heard that a Ford Dana 60 works up front because of the offset engine...but I'm still researching that.

Here is a picture of a Dodge based Class B with the Pathfinder 4x43 conversion showing radius arms (I think??)

pathfinder-4x4.jpg

An another Pathfinder dodge Van showing the front coils...I think most all of the Pathfinder jobs used a Dana 44.

i-want-to-build-a-4x4-dodge-van

cglass

Observer
Thanks Chris!

A lot of guys over on Pirate4x4 recommended your stuff:)

I looked at your site & you guys do great work!

I'm sending you a PM to ask some pricing questions...

Here's the "Creampuff" with our conversion. 6" on 37's.

1012219_626363077382924_341055509_n.jpg

DAV!D

Adventurer
Find a older Intervec Phenix Horizon. It's the same manufacture that made the Falcon, except it's a standard wheelbase van and a very low high top. I'm not sure but I think they did lowered floors like the roadtecs, so you can stand inside them. Be warned they are usually hard to find.

1992_phoenix_horizon_camper_van_99285711349097846.jpg

cglass

Observer
I don't think I'll be going with anybody's kits for the whole thing cause that would put me way over budget. I probably will get some brackets and things from one or more of the guys out there.

I have a budget worked out and after talking to a few people like Chris over at UJIONT, I know I'll have to mod it a bit.

I was thinking I could do everything for about $5K give or take...

$2,500 - Atlas 4.3
$650 - Dana 60 (one for sale here for that)
$1,500 - at the local fab shop to help me with brackets and over all install (MX rates!)
$100 - Super duty Leaf Springs
$250 - Misc drive shaft work and new brakes etc...

I know I'll go over that but that's pretty close. If I go with the Ford van and the divorced ATLAS T-Case, I'll have to put a Bronco gas tank in the back where the spare tire usually goes and a few other changes.

Most likely, I'll let the type of van I get decide the front suspension.

With a FORD or CHEVY I was thinking of Leafs, and with the DODGE I'd go with Radius Arm (extend 'em about 10-12 inches) or a 3 link... Wild Horses has some radius arm brackets that work pretty good and I'd add some plating up there to support it.

I want to get the van and the front axle first, then I'll look into the best way to do the SAS for sure...

I'm kind of leaning towards the RoadTrek Class B's based on the extended Dodge vans. They seem to have the layout I want and are the most available in the price I want.

I want one with a dinette in the back that folds down into a bed followed by the kitchen and toilet in the closet in the middle and the front has Captain chairs that swivel back to make a kind of living room/computer area. I plan to leave the back bed set up all the time and use the front for eating and hanging out etc...

Here is the Roadtrek. I like the lower overall height and the interior layout best on these. the 96 and newer ones have much more plastic crap hanging off the bottom in a big skirt so the older ones look easier to mess with:

Here is what the Roadtrek looks like in the inside with the front chairs swiveled around:

roadtrek-190-simplicity-interior-1.jpg

roadtrekBfloors3.jpg

I did find a 1996 F350 Class B by Coachman with the 7.3 Turbo Diesel in it and thought long and hard about that one...the guy wants $11K for it and based on what those 4x4 diesel Sportsmobiles go for, I could sell it for a pretty good profit if I ever needed to. BUT, I just couldn't make the interior work for me and the couch folds out into the only bed and takes up all the usable floor space when down.

bdog1

Adventurer
Dodge is unibody, allowing drop floor, lower roofline, but tuff to add leaf springs. (Tuff, not impossible) Ford is frame on body, tuff to drop floor, higher roof height, easier to add leaf springs.

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

java

Expedition Leader
Creampuff looks about perfect! I ended up with a class C, a bit big for those roads, but so much more space. It adds up with a munchkin, 2 100lb dogs and me and my wife. Its mostly a ski bum truck so nothing crazy yet...

But I would suggest spending the $$ on suspension. Mine is stiff as a brick.

Shocker

VanDOOM!
I would seriously look at the Fords with the full frame. My gut tells me that any unibody rig will really get torqued on those trails. You buddies rig I believe has the full frame due to the box.

You are probably going to have to make a compromise either on the layout or where you take it.

Where are you located?

Photomike

White Turtle Adventures & Photography
You are looking at doing the same things as I have been looking at. It sure is not an easy decision. I have checked out a lot of units and ideas and so far nothing that worked out.

A few things that I have been told (really not sure if they are all true but some things to think about):

1 - These vans are not made strong enough to handle the bouncing and twisting - that goes for the van and the conversion
2 - The upgrades are substantial and one person who has done this contacted me to let me know that honestly it is not worth the costs
3 - If you are doing this you should consider a new or newer unit as the cost is so high to do it correctly that a older unit will not last as long

I am still looking and thinking but will follow your post with interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design