who uses a yakima or thule box on top of their landcruiser???

Philthyphil

Observer
MPH, I understand...

Right now the hundy has OEM cross bars and the 62 has two gutter mount cross bars. I like the square bars. We have a Yakima box, it's not new so I forget the model but it's the widest and longest for maximum space, but not tall. Will fit my wife's skis but not mine, lengthwise, and much more. We like it but looking for something more versatile. Cant load pics from this device, maybe tomorrow. Sorry...

Sawyer

Adventurer
I originally got this one for carring skis and snowboards between San Francisco and Tahoe. Now it is used to carry camp chairs, tables, sleeping bags, fishing poles etc. It is a touch on the small size, but I like the fact I can still carry my longboards up there too. I am also still using the factory roof rack. I go round and round about getting a different roof setup. But, this keeps me going...

Click pic for larger image....

2j5aqnk.jpg

Last edited:

mph

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the link...Yeah...I am thinking of getting a bag that will fit in between my bike racks. Should work! Thanks! Mike

TwinCruiser

Observer
Hi MPG,

I have a similar bag...the model made by Thule. I use it on camping trips...easy to strap on to my rack.
It works good albeit not 100% water tight.

After I load it I use ratchet straps to "cinch" it down and to compress it.

I have 3 kids so I need lots of room inside the 80.

I store my tent, stove + propane fuel, lantern, sleeping pads and have room for more items.

I suggest you go this route...works great and not an expensive item.

You can barely see it in this pic...

Jacket005.jpg

ScottyDog

Adventurer
Knoll Lake Camping.jpgCruiser Bros.jpgGorman5.jpg

I have Yakima's and was considering changing to a regular platform type rack on my 80... but I've come to realize how handy and sturdy the Yakima's are. If I need a basket or carrier its easily adaptable. If I want to carry a ladder or lumber or surfboards... its just as supportive.. And also my current RTT is set up to stradle the two center racks and the one forward and aft help add additional support.

richmondbob

Adventurer
Yakima Skybox 16. Had five of us plus my niece in third row. Put all bedding and clothes up top in the box and loaded heavier items behind the third row inside.
IMG_1246.jpg
IMG_1249.jpg
IMG_1263.jpg
IMG_1266.jpg
IMG_1268.jpg

For more involved 'expo' style trips I have a Hannibal rack but for family trips the Yakima box is preferable for ease of use and purpose.

Last edited:

4x4tripping

Adventurer
-
The Thule Box did a good job during our 20`500 kilometer trip. Some scratches, yes, but she survive the load and the bumps and jumps well.
-
DSC02323.jpg

-
-
DSC01965.jpg

-
-
DSC03238.jpg

-
-
Most of the roof box providers just offers limited sizes. Why they don't offer bigger ones? In Germany is a factory who did also extended ones: http://www.pacwolf.de/dachboxen/off-road-box.html
-
For off road driving they are not necessary, but maybe for a custom size... When you want to enjoy your sunroof you need a short and wide box. I have the Thule DS 100, which is one of the widest 139*40*39cm i found at 2012...
-
-
@ Cabrito: I`m pretty shure that i was at this place too! But i didn't remember where exactly it was. Dead Valley? I did a big loop between Vegas, Salt Lake, Frisco and can't sort that picture in exactly.. These fine holes in the mountain are very special!
-
-

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design