Why I switched from a Tacoma to an F150

calicamper

Expedition Leader
TFLTruck just had a towing MPG comparison between a Ram rebel and new Tundra. They pulled a 7000 lb travel trailer into a headwind and the ram was constantly downshifting to 4000 rpm on small rolling hills. It was obnoxious.

The tundra just casually churned away at 2000 rpm.
These new turbo engines have loads of torque at near diesel rpms. Yeah that was a really big change from my 4.7L Sequoia to my 3.5L Expedition the 3.5 never runs into the 3000+ range unless your just whaling on it. And even then your way past legal speeds pretty fast so yeah these new 3.5’s and the 2.7 don’t need to spin high rpms and generally don’t.

I found after a few road trips that low RPM really cuts down on driver/passenger fatigue also.

phsycle

Adventurer
TFLTruck just had a towing MPG comparison between a Ram rebel and new Tundra. They pulled a 7000 lb travel trailer into a headwind and the ram was constantly downshifting to 4000 rpm on small rolling hills. It was obnoxious.

It’s nice to have all the torque down low in the turbo engines.
My 3.5 Tacoma auto was the worst. Constant up and downshift.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper

This is exactly why I wanted a twin turbo V6 instead of a V8 in my next truck.

skrypj

It’s nice to have all the torque down low in the turbo engines.
My 3.5 Tacoma auto was the worst. Constant up and downshift.

Yeah I had a moment of weakness about 5 years ago where I was debating trading my F150 in on a mid-sized. There was a GMC, Nissan and Toyota dealer right next to each other so I drove a Canyon Denali, Frontier Pro4X and Taco Trd Offroad.

There was a headwind going north and the Taco literally wouldn’t shift to 6th at 70 mph for about 5 miles of almost completely flat highway. Neither the Canyon or Frontier had an issue.

That, and the fact that the dealer acted like they had the greatest vehicle in earth and were completely obnoxious, caused me to write off the Tacoma completely. I shopped the ancient Frontier’s after that because I liked them more.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm with you, sir! The only sounds I want to hear while driving is whatever soothing music I have playing on the stereo.
LOL. It's a matter of perspective. I went from a '91 XtraCab 22R-E to my '08 Tacoma V6 and to me it's quiet. I know if I was to drive a newer truck I'd be spoiled. So I don't. But I could barely hear the radio in my old truck on the highway and it wasn't because I was going all that fast.
There was a headwind going north and the Taco literally wouldn’t shift to 6th at 70 mph for about 5 miles of almost completely flat highway. Neither the Canyon or Frontier had an issue.
Toyota's small trucks have always sucked with automatics. It's pretty hip to complain about the lack of power in Toyota V6s. You almost never hear a 4 cylinder owner complain, you just accept they're slow I suppose. But I've never really felt that way about my truck but it's a stick shift. I do honestly think that is significant.

Plus, I'm conscious about weight. I drive a small(ish) truck and accept that it's small(ish). Light camper shell, not every piece of glamping farkle, just two of us. Bigger? Sure it would be nice but then I couldn't park it in my driveway built for 1920s cars.

I get the feeling that a lot complaints about midsize trucks is the owners expect them to be full size. For example, how often does the question about towing a 6,000 lbs camper with one come up? Seriously? The owner forums talk about that a lot. Or why doesn't Toyota put in a V8? What are the interiors so small? It's like they're shocked a midsize vehicle is midsized.

I wish my truck was smaller, like my 1991 was. At this point if ever I replace my Tacoma it'll of course be a F150. But they're just so friggin' big. I like the 05+ Tacoma size, which isn't that much smaller than a 1/2 ton about 10 years ago. Which was about perfect balance with extra capability without too much extra size IMO.
That, and the fact that the dealer acted like they had the greatest vehicle in earth and were completely obnoxious, caused me to write off the Tacoma completely. I shopped the ancient Frontier’s after that because I liked them more.
I haven't met many car dealers who didn't think their line wasn't brought down from the Mount by Moses himself. And their individual vehicles, particularly when talking used, are so nice they might as well be new.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
… But I've never really felt that way about my truck but it's a stick shift. I do honestly think that is significant.

I went from an auto Taco to manual. Difference is night and day. A totally different truck.

…I wish my truck was smaller, like my 1991 was. At this point if ever I replace my Tacoma it'll of course be a F150. But they're just so friggin' big. I like the 05+ Tacoma size, which isn't that much smaller than a 1/2 ton about 10 years ago. Which was about perfect balance with extra capability without too much extra size IMO.

You could get a regular cab F150. ? Decent storage room behind the seat.
Overall length is actually 2” shorter than your truck.
I know you don’t care about power but 2.7L in that thing is a rocket. And better MPG.

2018-ford-f-150-single-cab-shorty.jpg

LOL. It's a matter of perspective. I went from a '91 XtraCab 22R-E to my '08 Tacoma V6 and to me it's quiet. I know if I was to drive a newer truck I'd be spoiled. So I don't. But I could barely hear the radio in my old truck on the highway and it wasn't because I was going all that fast.

Toyota's small trucks have always sucked with automatics. It's pretty hip to complain about the lack of power in Toyota V6s. You almost never hear a 4 cylinder owner complain, you just accept they're slow I suppose. But I've never really felt that way about my truck but it's a stick shift. I do honestly think that is significant.

Plus, I'm conscious about weight. I drive a small(ish) truck and accept that it's small(ish). Light camper shell, not every piece of glamping farkle, just two of us. Bigger? Sure it would be nice but then I couldn't park it in my driveway built for 1920s cars.

I get the feeling that a lot complaints about midsize trucks is the owners expect them to be full size. For example, how often does the question about towing a 6,000 lbs camper with one come up? Seriously? The owner forums talk about that a lot. Or why doesn't Toyota put in a V8? What are the interiors so small? It's like they're shocked a midsize vehicle is midsized.

I wish my truck was smaller, like my 1991 was. At this point if ever I replace my Tacoma it'll of course be a F150. But they're just so friggin' big. I like the 05+ Tacoma size, which isn't that much smaller than a 1/2 ton about 10 years ago. Which was about perfect balance with extra capability without too much extra size IMO.

I haven't met many car dealers who didn't think their line wasn't brought down from the Mount by Moses himself. And their individual vehicles, particularly when talking used, are so nice they might as well be new.

While I agree with a lot of your points the problems I see with midsize tricks on sale today is cost vs benefit. Midsize pickups are almost the same price as full size half tons but most get slightly better fuel economy when stock but once you add any sort of larger tire or lift the fuel economy is worse than a half ton and with the power loss they become difficult to justify. I have owned midsize pickups almost the entire time I have been driving and I prefer them but could not justify buying one now because they are under powered unless you buy a diesel from Gm or Jeep but then they cost more than a decently equipped full size. If they were able to sell midsized pickups for a lower cost like they used to the midsize market would attract a lot more buyers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

While I agree with a lot of your points the problems I see with midsize tricks on sale today is cost vs benefit. Midsize pickups are almost the same price as full size half tons but most get slightly better fuel economy when stock but once you add any sort of larger tire or lift the fuel economy is worse than a half ton and with the power loss they become difficult to justify. I have owned midsize pickups almost the entire time I have been driving and I prefer them but could not justify buying one now because they are under powered unless you buy a diesel from Gm or Jeep but then they cost more than a decently equipped full size. If they were able to sell midsized pickups for a lower cost like they used to the midsize market would attract a lot more buyers
I don't disagree at all. For my Dollar I'd buy a 1/2 ton over a midsize today. Actually, to be completely honest, for my money I'd almost certainly actually buy a basic 3/4 ton instead. The jump from a consumer spec F150 to a contractor spec gas F250 isn't much in price or size. Kind of in for a penny, in for a pound situation for me. Honestly a big factor in me sticking with a Tacoma in the first place was (1) being part of a Toyota 4WD club and (b) having an existing camper shell that still just barely fit on one. If I was to minimize the importance of the first and give up on the second I don't have any particular reason to stick with a midsize Toyota. I'm certainly not hugely impressed with the quality. I think Toyota has cheapened and Ford made gains from the 90s when the quality was so vastly different that I jumped shipped from a Ford in the first place. The frame on my Tacoma was made at the same Mexican Dana plant as Ford was using, for example. So why pay the Toyota Tax? If anything Ford was at least as good or maybe better about watching the anti-corrosion problems, too.

Last edited:

Grassland

Gas is going up to $1.60+ a liter for regular here (over $6 a gallon for freedom units). Maybe being stock isn't so stupid anymore.
I'm torn between no truck payments now, but even 2-3 MPG difference on a new truck... Gas keeps going up might be worth it long term.

I wouldn't consider the GM twins or the new Frontier underpowered.
They weigh several hundred pounds less than my truck at least (probably 400-500) and have 285-310 HP. Plus less wind drag. I'm surprised however that the new Frontier doesn't do better on the fuel economy front.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Gas is going up to $1.60+ a liter for regular here (over $6 a gallon for freedom units). Maybe being stock isn't so stupid anymore.
I'm torn between no truck payments now, but even 2-3 MPG difference on a new truck... Gas keeps going up might be worth it long term.
Gotta be careful with "the feels" when it comes to money. I bet if you put it to numbers the difference of even a Dollar per unit of gas (broadly speaking in hypothetical) the financial break-even point probably only moves in from 15 years to 14 years and 6 months. You'd have to move from awful fuel economy to a really good to make a dent and it would still be a few years before you start to come out ahead. And then you start to think about long term costs, like at 10 years you have to do a turbo rebuild or something. A normally aspirated gasoline vehicle these days is gas and oil for the life of the car. Turbos have come a long way but it's still a pretty tough environment and the laws of physics can't be ignored. Best case I gotta think it's got to at least be an expected thing to deal with, like batteries in an EV, where the drivetrain life is probably shorter than the chassis.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh