Willys Wheeler Wrangler

Yeah, considering the original Willys had a fire breathing Hemi, lockers and 4:1 transfer case, sway bar disconnects, and massive suspension travel / articulation.

Oh wait...

As cool as the original was, let's face it, the modern JK is better in almost every single way. How's that a waste?

RoyJ, you're missing the whole point and if you don't understand what we are saying then I am afraid you never will. Jeep had a chance to knock this out of the park and they failed. Jeep could have gone in several different directions but they went with a simple bolt on package. I would have liked to have seen them at least go with some flat fenders. Other nice little touches would have been a side mount tire, shovel, ax jerry cans, manual hubs etc.

Instead of the side mount tire they could have chosen to go with the spare offset to one side and a jerry can on the other side of the rear of the vehicle. So many styling cues and the only thing they chose to do is add a sticker. At minimum they could have had the Willy's stamped into the hood, grill and tail gate.

Last edited:

SouthPawXJ

Observer
RoyJ, you're missing the whole point and if you don't understand what we are saying then I am afraid you never will. Jeep had a chance to knock this out of the park and they failed. Jeep could have gone in several different directions but they went with a simple bolt on package. I would have liked to have seen them at least go with some flat fenders. Other nice little touches would have been a side mount tire, shovel, ax jerry cans, manual hubs etc.

Instead of the side mount tire they could have chosen to go with the spare offset to one side and a jerry can on the other side of the rear of the vehicle. So many styling cues and the only thing they chose to do is add a sticker. At minimum they could have had the Willy's stamped into the hood, grill and tail gate.

I think you're missing the point. Jeep is a manufacturer of vehicles, not an outfitter (like AEV, etc). Small changes drive costs sky high.

Flat Fenders? Do they meet FMVSS? How do they change the crash characteristics? Does Jeep currently sell flat fenders (i.e. will they have to source them, will they have to generate a part number (with all that is involved with that, it's quite expensive))?

Side Mount Tire? More part numbers and crash testing (among other tests)... same as the flat fenders.

Offset Spare would require a new tailgate (part #) and more crash testing. Would it still produce a safe result?

Shovel and Jerry Cans outside the vehicle? Not only would they be prone to theft, but more testing and part numbers and such would be required. You could bring the shovel inside, along with the ax though. Mounts would still need to be tested (you don't want the ax flying forward in an accident, right?)

Even the stamped hood, grill and tailgate would be new part numbers and would, again, have to be retested and new part numbers generated.

It would be great if they could offer those, but they can't and keep that Special Edition Wrangler affordable. If they put everything asked for here on the vehicle at the factory, you're talking about more than $15,000 (WAG) in added cost to the package already. We haven't even added components from the Rubicon either, which would still be more capable.

The bottom line is, this is the best they can do and still make it affordable. Rock Rails, LSD, 3.73 gears, etc. have already been used and are in the system for Jeep. They've been tested and approved. This is supposed to be a low-cost wheeler, not a next-level Rubicon for the overland crowd.

If you think like an auto manufacturer, then you understand why they did this. If they built what you want, the enthusiast would complain that it costs too much.

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
It boils down to the fact that you could have bought a JK with all options in the package other than the stickers, so the stickers are the only thing that makes it a Willys and that is embarassing to the name. It puts the JK Willys on par with the JK Dragon...which actually gets more custom touches as ugly as they are.

SouthPawXJ

Observer
So, you can get a JK Sport with Rock Rails and 32" BFG KMs from the factory?
You COULD, briefly, get the tires earlier this year, but you can't now. That option was cancelled.
You cannot get a Sport with the Rock Rails from the factory.

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Did not realize the tire option was cancelled and any dealer around here will sell the rails as a bolt-on, at least around here. $333 MSRP plus install I would bet.

kingg5

Adventurer
Just some food for thought:

Here's what doesn't come standard on a Sport S:
- 3.73 Axle Ratio
- Rear Limited Slip Differential
- Mopar Rock Rails
- BFG KMs from the Factory
- Black Wheels
- "Trail Rated" Kit (Kinda hokey)
- Sticker

Clearly, its just a sticker package. /sarcasm

Could you get all of those on a Sport S (other than the Sticker) from the factory? Possibly. However, if you get this package, it comes standard (which is nice when you're looking at one on a lot). The whole purpose of this edition is a cheap(er) capable off road vehicle. Its not a Rubicon, but its better than any other Jeep option from the factory available this model year.

3000$ half doors....you forgot those.

SouthPawXJ

Observer
3000$ half doors....you forgot those.

They are an option... and a very cool one at that (I wouldn't get them, but I'm glad they're available.)

The press release:

Jeep said:
New 2014 Jeep® Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition: A Classic Throwback With Modern Capability

-A Jeep purist's dream: Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition a salute to the earliest civilian Jeep vehicles
-Based on Wrangler Sport model, with array of additional off-road hardware for increased capability
-New Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition available in Jeep showrooms early next year at a U.S. MSRP of $25,795

November 18, 2013 , Auburn Hills, Mich. - The roots of America's love affair with Jeep® can be traced to World War II, as the one-of-a-kind vehicle dutifully served the U.S. military with its durability and ruggedness. The affinity for Jeep gained traction as the first civilian Jeep ("CJ") vehicles – the Willys-Overland CJ-2A – reached the public in 1945. The CJ-2A, and successor CJ-3A, was immortalized for its go-anywhere capability and strictly functional amenities.

Beginning early next year, when the new 2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition arrives in Jeep showrooms, customers can connect with the original Jeep vehicle's rugged and purely functional capability. The latest Wrangler special edition makes its debut at the 2013 Los Angeles International Auto Show.

"The new Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition is a Jeep purist's dream, delivering a Jeep vehicle that harkens back to the original, classic CJs of the 1940s," said Mike Manley, President and CEO – Jeep Brand, Chrysler Group LLC. "This new Jeep vehicle delivers pure functionality and rugged capability in a unique package that recognizes the origins of the brand."

Based on the Wrangler Sport model, the Willys Wheeler Edition features upgraded hardware, including a Dana 44 rear axle with Trac-Lok limited-slip rear differential and 3.73 gears, BF Goodrich KM Mud Terrain LT255/75R17 tires, rock rails and a new Jeep Trail Rated Kit that includes a D-Ring, tow strap and gloves in a Jeep-branded bag. This works with the Jeep Command-Trac 4x4 part-time, two-speed transfer case with a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio to give the Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition its improved off-road chops.

Special exterior design cues include a gloss black grille with black Jeep badge, gloss black front and rear bumper appliques, historic satin black "4 Wheel Drive" rear tailgate decal and "Willys" hood decals and unique high-gloss black 17-inch aluminum wheels. The Willys Wheeler Edition comes standard with a Sunrider soft top and deep-tint sunscreen rear windows. A premium Sunrider soft top and black-splatter Freedom Top are available.

Willys Wheeler Editions feature the Connectivity Group with SiriusXM satellite radio, and Sport S-based models have the Power Convenience Group and Premium Tire Pressure Monitoring System as standard. Jeep Wrangler's iconic half doors are an option.

The 2014 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler Edition features the award winning 3.6-liter Pentastar V-6 engine that produces 285 horsepower and 260 ft.-lbs. or torque. It is available with a standard six-speed manual or an available five-speed automatic transmission, and delivers up to 21 miles per gallon on the highway.

Available in any Jeep Wrangler color, the Willys Wheeler Edition has a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail price (MSRP) of $25,795 for two-door models and $29,595 for Unlimited (four-door) models. The 2014 Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited are built at the Toledo Supplier Park in Toledo, Ohio.

About Jeep Brand
Built on more than 70 years of legendary heritage, Jeep is the authentic SUV with class-leading capability, craftsmanship and versatility for people who seek extraordinary journeys. The Jeep brand delivers an open invitation to live life to the fullest by offering a full line of vehicles that continue to provide owners with a sense of security to handle any journey with confidence.

The Jeep vehicle lineup consists of the Cherokee, Compass, Grand Cherokee, Patriot, Wrangler and Wrangler Unlimited. To meet consumer demand around the world, all Jeep models sold outside North America are available in both left and right-hand drive configurations and with gasoline and diesel powertrain options. Chrysler Group LLC products are available in more than 150 countries around the world.

AFSOC

Explorer
Hokey or cheese or whatever...isn't it important to see that somebody is paying some level of corporate attention to the segment? These "packages" may not meet your personal expectation but the fact that there is some mechanical upgrade is a source of encouragement. Comparisons to a minivan are a bit of an exaggerated stretch that exploits a shared powerplant . If my Ram has a Hemi under the hood would it be fair to call it a "load bearing SRT Challenger"?

Automakers exist to sell cars for a profit. Marketing is a part of the business. If these "packages" add sales numbers to the segment, they are of value to the niche market that congregates here on ExPo in the form of factory support, aftermarket support, bargain upgrades via Craigslist and eventually credible parts at auto recyclers.

Not every icon is recognized or fully appreciated in its contemporary time. Lots of people considered the Mustang a secretary's car or a rebodied Fairlane with less interior room. It can be argued that Ford didn't do as much in the mid-sixties to make Mustang an icon as the niche market enthusiasts did. I'd say cut Jeep a little slack with the packaging that they're doing. If it's distasteful, don't buy in. If it isn't embraced by the consumer, it will stop. Just be glad Jeep hasn't forgotten or moved past the Wrangler.

I think you're missing the point. Jeep is a manufacturer of vehicles, not an outfitter (like AEV, etc). Small changes drive costs sky high.

Flat Fenders? Do they meet FMVSS? How do they change the crash characteristics? Does Jeep currently sell flat fenders (i.e. will they have to source them, will they have to generate a part number (with all that is involved with that, it's quite expensive))?

Side Mount Tire? More part numbers and crash testing (among other tests)... same as the flat fenders.

Offset Spare would require a new tailgate (part #) and more crash testing. Would it still produce a safe result?

Shovel and Jerry Cans outside the vehicle? Not only would they be prone to theft, but more testing and part numbers and such would be required. You could bring the shovel inside, along with the ax though. Mounts would still need to be tested (you don't want the ax flying forward in an accident, right?)

Even the stamped hood, grill and tailgate would be new part numbers and would, again, have to be retested and new part numbers generated.

It would be great if they could offer those, but they can't and keep that Special Edition Wrangler affordable. If they put everything asked for here on the vehicle at the factory, you're talking about more than $15,000 (WAG) in added cost to the package already. We haven't even added components from the Rubicon either, which would still be more capable.

The bottom line is, this is the best they can do and still make it affordable. Rock Rails, LSD, 3.73 gears, etc. have already been used and are in the system for Jeep. They've been tested and approved. This is supposed to be a low-cost wheeler, not a next-level Rubicon for the overland crowd.

If you think like an auto manufacturer, then you understand why they did this. If they built what you want, the enthusiast would complain that it costs too much.

I do not think you understand how crash testing works. Just because you swap out a fender flare does not mean you have to crash test that vehicle. Jeep probably only crash tested 1 of it's current models. For instance, GM was only required to crash tested one of it's new Silverado Pickups for the NHTSA. The only model that was crash tested was 4 door crew cab, 4x4 with the 5.3L engine. These tests satisfied the NHTSA for all models including regular cab, extended cab, 2wd etc. Crash testing is not as complex as you may think.

IKE2013

Observer
HARDTRAILZ - Yup :pROFSheriffHL:

I think a lot gets lost if you don't own or are not a Jeep owner. I believe that ,marketing is dictating all these "Special Editions". However, some of these editions are merely reawakenings of old editions. Jeep has in the past had the Willys, Islander and Apex, Freedom, Renegade, Rocky Mountain and the Awesome (at the time) Tomb Raider Edition. Now they have added such as the Black Ops, Artic/Polar and others. Some are just throwback editions and some are just appealing to marketing and demographics. Let's face it, if you live in Alaska, why not have a Polar edition Jeep, Same for Moab, Artic and the ever so awesome Chinese Dragon Edition (sarcasm).

I think for the younger generations, there was no exposure to the older editions, therefore are being flooded with all the new introductions. I am 40 and am calling "Enough" on the editions. At least space them out a little.

Here is what I find amusing. We buy a Jeep, capable of most off-roading off the floor. Then it has to be lifted for looks, oh yeah and to avoid rock damage. Then the tires look small, so we have to buy bigger tires. Then it bogs the minivan motor down, so a regear is necessary. Well, might as well throw in a locker or two since it is apart anyhow. Then add armor, because the lift doesn't prevent all damage so rockers, armor and fenders should be added along with the bumpers for the winch and rear tire carrier, cuz the factory one cannot support the added weight. The hard top is nice in the winter, but to cumbersome in the summer. So a soft top is needed. But then the sun is too hot and the wind is too much. Therefore a sun shade is needed to cover the roof again. The full doors are too big to enjoy the open air so they are removeable. But then it doesnt feel safe enough, so half doors are needed.

It just never ends, and I am convinced at this point that every single item on a Jeep can be replaced with aftermarket parts. It is truly a OCD nightmare.

So I conservatively Love my Jeep!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online