Yeti Coolers

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Like many people here; I am tired of buying the usual 5-7 day coolers which seem to hold ice for part of a day or maybe 1-2 days at most. I am thinking of buying a Yeti cooler which I have seen at Bass Pro Shops and am impressed by their build. For my usage, a cooler makes more sense than purchasing a frdge/freezer. Has anyone used these coolers and what was your thoughts? Are they worth the cost? (45qt.=$279.99, 85qt=$379.99). Thanks.

Pete Wilson

Ryan_S

Observer
I have the Engel 65 cooler (which is basically the same thing as the yeti) and it works great. Went 5 days easy and only topped the ice off once. We were in and out of it a lot or else we probably wouldn't have had to.

I still wish I would have sprung for the fridge, but the cooler is ok for now.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I think the Yeti coolers are from the same people that made IceeCool, or are they Galaxy now?

Anyway, I have an old IceeCool, similar to the Engle, and for me I works great. With it I have no need for a fridge.

Expedition Leader
I have three Yeti coolers in various sizes and they beat anything else I have ever tried nine ways to Sunday. If you don't open them very often, they will keep ice for a week or more.

Having said that, I did just buy an ARB 37 qt. fridge.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Like many people here; I am tired of buying the usual 5-7 day coolers which seem to hold ice for part of a day or maybe 1-2 days at most.

Pete,

It troubles me that you only get 1-2 days worth of cold from ice in your cooler.

I have a typical large cooler (60 qt?) but I also made sure that all 6 sides were insulated including the lid. Plus I almost always used block ice instead of crushed/cubes. With this setup, it's lasted me through many trips and easily lasted nearly 5 days in Moab (April & Sept/Oct)l. Temps were in the mid 70's to high 80's during the day.

When I did similar trips using crushed ice / ice cubes, it lasted about a long as you're seeing. Same situation when the cooler didn't have an insulated lid.

That said, last year I also upgraded to a freezer fridge because my cooler was getting pretty long in the tooth and thoroughly abused... and mostly because got a good deal on the fridge (when ARB first came out with the new design the other year) with a big discount from 4wheel parts at the time.

I will say it's pretty 'cool' to be able to kick back in the middle of a busy trail in the heat of summer drinking an ice cold bear or eating cold ice cream.:sombrero:

HTH.

Last edited:

cruisertoy

Explorer
Iceecool/Galaxy are the same company but Yeti is unrelated unless something has changed in the last little while. I own the Engel 65Q cooler and like it. Yeti or Engel knocked each others coolers off depending on who you talk to. I left a watermelon and a block of ice in mine in my cruiser for 3 days while we were up a mountain hiking. There was no shade to park in so it sat in the sun every day and got hot. There was still over half a block of ice left when we got down the mountain. I'd buy a nice cooler from any of the three companies mentioned above. The thing I like about the Galaxy is that you can get it in a grey/granite color so it shows less dirt than the stark white of the Engel.

COJeeper

Observer
Yeti Roadie

I'll chime in, I am very happy with my Yeti. I have the smaller Roadie, it is nicely built and does its job very well. I went through alot of cheap coolers over the years. Heck it even came with a great Yeti sticker for my trailer!!
and can Yeti can cooler.

Accrete

Explorer
like others above i am also happy with our YETI (70quart). We will usually start with frozen blue ice blocks and they will last ~4 days which is fine as our trips are typically of that duration.

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

Off-roader,

I have been using two types of coolers; the first is a Coleman 50qt which is green/tan and then a Coleman picnic basket handheld cooler which holds maybe a dozen or so cans. I usually will hardfreeze 2 or 3 gallon jugs of water and then use bag ice over that. The small ones will get 6 or 8 frozen 20oz bottles and the filled with bag ice. I have used dry ice before and that bought maybe a day. If I was in OKlahoma and it was memorial day, then I would see maybe 1.5-2 days max. and would need to restock the big ones, some of the gallon jugs would have ice but not 50 percent. The small coolers last about the same. There are the better Coleman xtreme or marine coolers but I still doubt their 5 days in 90 degree weather claim. I think a yeti in 45qt and one in 85qt would me good and then get rid of the colemans I have.

Pete Wilson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1