09 Ram 2500 4x4 ST Flatbed Weekend Warrior Truck Camper Build

NorCalWannaBe

First time reaching out, so here it goes.

I was in an accident a few weeks ago that totaled my old 03 Ford Expedition XLT. I used that all the time to car camp and off road. I had built a custom sleeper/ storage system in the back of it after removing all 7 seats or whatever. That misfortune shoved me into the long looked at truck market and brought me back here faster than I had expected.

I now have bought my beloved "Hotspur", pics attached. I WILL build this thing into the Beast of a Basecamp Chiller that I have always dreamed of. I want to make the truck an absolute tuned out work horse while shopping around for a camper thats gonna be light and with the specific bells and whistles my fiancé and I are looking for. For example, I don't think I really need a sink, fridge, and stove in my camper but definitely want a heating and ventilation options.

I am far from a car guy but with the right direction I am totally willing to do the work to make the dream come true. I am finding it

HELP NEEDED:

Specific truck issues to look out for
Specific truck upgrades to do before I get my truck camper
Forums to follow
Groups to get in with
Videos to watch
Easy ways to learn about my truck
Just a dude to call and word vomit all the ******** I wanna do to my truck and keep things into perspective with

Happy to message with anybody that's building a similar rig or trying to help out. I am finding it hard to find similar people and rig types as a lot of Ram Truck Campers I am seeing are these professional custom builds with maybe a slightly larger budget than I am working with. By tens of thousands of dollars.
Hotspur3.jpgHotspur2.jpgHotspur1.jpg

CreeksideKP

I for one am interested to see what you do with it. That looks like a nice base vehicle for two people. I have a 2006 3500 with the 5.9, that I have a Northern Lite on, so I can't help you powertrain stuff. I can tell you I did the Spyntec hub conversion kit, which I like for the most part (love having 2lo). EMF ball joints and grease-able u-joints. I doubt your front end will be as worn out since it doesn't have the heavy Cummins engine. You'll probably want to do something with the rear suspension depending on the weight of your camper. I have Torklift upper Stableloads but I don't think you have overload springs on your 2500.

Attachments

• 20240511_135825.jpg
    20240511_135825.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 11

NorCalWannaBe

I for one am interested to see what you do with it. That looks like a nice base vehicle for two people. I have a 2006 3500 with the 5.9, that I have a Northern Lite on, so I can't help you powertrain stuff. I can tell you I did the Spyntec hub conversion kit, which I like for the most part (love having 2lo). EMF ball joints and grease-able u-joints. I doubt your front end will be as worn out since it doesn't have the heavy Cummins engine. You'll probably want to do something with the rear suspension depending on the weight of your camper. I have Torklift upper Stableloads but I don't think you have overload springs on your 2500.
Should I wait until I know exactly what I’m putting on it to understand the suspension and shock upgrades?

FAW3

Adventurer
I was for years a happy "truck cap camper" out of my Tacoma. Had all the basics covered, it was simple, and with one size upsized all terrain tires I never had an issue roaming various public lands all over the US.

With retirement & more free time I decided I wanted to upscale and get some features I lacked. I've posted some trip reports and commentary about my rig here on EP. My essentials included many things...able to stand up to put on my pants, a double bed, a secondary single bed, heat, powered ventilation, LED lighting, simple solar power, hot/cold water system with a shower option outside, ability to store trash and toilet outside the camper, a locking door, and a pop-top to reduce clearance, ability to cook inside or outside.

Our rig:
IMG_9863.JPG
Campsetup close.jpg

You have a great foundation with that acquisition. From this start I urge you to think out what YOUR practical honest essentials/must haves are. Address your routine daily needs first...what YOU want for: transit driving the interstate, for forest roads, for the backcountry, for camping, cooking, sleeping. Huge factor for any small overlanding rig is STORAGE.

Go slow with any chassis mods and such...I think a standard 4x4 truck with good tires and common sense can get about 95% anywhere in the US. A lot of builds seemingly go way over on eye candy crap. If something breaks you want to hit a NAPA/Auto Zone in the next city for the part...not have to get it from across the country.

I'm sold on a slide in pop-top camper on a flatbed with storage boxes. But they're other options out there. What has worked for us might not be what you want/need.

Best wishes and happy trails!

NorCalWannaBe

I was for years a happy "truck cap camper" out of my Tacoma. Had all the basics covered, it was simple, and with one size upsized all terrain tires I never had an issue roaming various public lands all over the US.

With retirement & more free time I decided I wanted to upscale and get some features I lacked. I've posted some trip reports and commentary about my rig here on EP. My essentials included many things...able to stand up to put on my pants, a double bed, a secondary single bed, heat, powered ventilation, LED lighting, simple solar power, hot/cold water system with a shower option outside, ability to store trash and toilet outside the camper, a locking door, and a pop-top to reduce clearance, ability to cook inside or outside.

Our rig:
View attachment 837735
View attachment 837736

You have a great foundation with that acquisition. From this start I urge you to think out what YOUR practical honest essentials/must haves are. Address your routine daily needs first...what YOU want for: transit driving the interstate, for forest roads, for the backcountry, for camping, cooking, sleeping. Huge factor for any small overlanding rig is STORAGE.

Go slow with any chassis mods and such...I think a standard 4x4 truck with good tires and common sense can get about 95% anywhere in the US. A lot of builds seemingly go way over on eye candy crap. If something breaks you want to hit a NAPA/Auto Zone in the next city for the part...not have to get it from across the country.

I'm sold on a slide in pop-top camper on a flatbed with storage boxes. But they're other options out there. What has worked for us might not be what you want/need.

Best wishes and happy trails!
Dude that’s an awesome Truck camper man! Thanks for the time and advice. What are some things you did to the undercarriage before putting the FWC on?

FAW3

Adventurer
I'd get the big heavy items installed (the camper) and run stock for a bit...see what needs help, and then work on the suspension.

We use the truck with the camper on and also with the camper off and also as the tow rig for our toyhauler. That's about 1700 pounds of load variance for the FWC Hawk loaded up. Firestone airbags independently set up R/L to adjust the suspension to fit the loading. Adjusting the airbags is an art form. Unloaded I'm running 10#, towing our trailer with about 900# on the hitch and no camper it's 40# and with the camper on 60-70#. If we were to leave the camper on full time I would re-spring instead of airbags. It's a nice driving rig with the camper on or off. Never feels like the carried weight is pushing it around or feels top heavy.

As shown, fully loaded for travel rig scales at 10,000#, with 4K on the front, 6K on the rear.

Heavy duty anti-sway bars front and rear.

Bilstein shocks all around.

35"x12.5 BFG KO2's. Both the former Nitto AT Grapplers and the newer BFG KO2's have been very good tires on the pavement, in beach sand, light snow/mud and along a range of conditions on NF/BLM roads and trails. Both were reasonably quiet on the pavement. One note: tire/wheel size is as I bought the truck used. To fit the spare in the space under the flatbed it must be deflated and strapped up...a PIA, so it's carried on a swingout. I would have ideally liked a tire/wheel size with an eye toward getting the biggest set that will fit under the flatbed which would be a 33-34" diameter tire.

Just for clarity...I bought this rig pretty much as you see it off an EP classified ad after about a year of research and thinking out exactly what I wanted. I was actively looking for a used truck and FWC camper...when the ad popped up. I only had to think about it for a day or so...I realized that I could sell my Tacoma, buy this rig and be camping happily the next month. Because I knew what I wanted, I jumped on it and have never looked back. The key is knowing where you want to end up.

Last edited:

rgv

Some great stuff posted. When current truck is no longer multipurpose I’d like to go with a flatbed conversion as well to get the storage that my current setup is lacking.

When I had my drilling company I had four identical dodge pickups with hemis and all they ever needed was oil changes and brake pads, maybe the odd tie rod end or u-joint, they were great.

View attachment IMG_6276.jpeg

Last edited:

NorCalWannaBe

Some great stuff posted. When current truck is no longer multipurpose I’d like to go with a flatbed conversion as well to get the storage that my current setup is lacking.

When I had my drilling company I had four identical dodge pickups with hemis and all they ever needed was oil changes and brake pads, maybe the odd tie rod end or u-joint, they were great.

View attachment 838099
Yea it sounds hella good too. Idk I’m excited about the hemi myself.

How much weight are you carrying in that pic?

rgv

Yea it sounds hella good too. Idk I’m excited about the hemi myself.

How much weight are you carrying in that pic?
I'm right at #9700 with full water food and fuel. #500 above GVW but neither axle is close to GAWR.

2500 classed trucks are going to be maxed out with a diesel. You're lighter with the reg cab and hemi, will depend on the weight of the flat deck.

If it wasn't for the dogs and fishing gear, I'd be inclined to go the regular cab gas engine straight front axle like you have, keep the camper footprint inside the flat deck and have a bit more off-road capable rig then what I have.
this is great advice. Having spent a lot of my younger years in northern BC and the Yukon in a Chevy K20 with 7.50-16 bias ply tires, unless you intend to look for trouble, save your money, or at least put it into a better and smoother ride (that also reduces wear on everything including you)

Last edited:

Westy

Adventurer
Great looking base to build off! That should make a fairly nimble off road camper for a full size truck. I have a 2006 Dodge 2500, hemi. A few known issues and things I have come across that you may want to address and be aware of -

Steering setup - not sure on the '09 but certainly previous years should be upgraded to the newer style.
A/C Recirc vent door - known to crack / fall apart at the hinge -
Lack of cabin filter - I used the Geno's Garage filter kit - this helps, easy fix/upgrade.
Rear outer axle seal leak - keep an eye be ready to replace. Fairly easy job.
No sunroof / roof lights so thats a bonus. You won't need to go through those hassles with the leaks/drain tube, etc.
Front head lights are below average for night driving IMO.
Stock Battery/Power/Ground wiring for a camper is not ideal. Consider replacing terminals & wiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal