1976 Scout Traveler, Ultimate Expedition Build

rube bonet

Adventurer
Well all the little bits and pieces for the can holders, tire carrier latch, roof rack mounts, hi lift mounts etc came in. Unlike most swing away bumpers, my latch is not there just to keep it closed. On my swing outs, I use the U bolt style latch to clamp the swing aways to the bumpers; greatly increases the rigidity of the assembly, and helps takes load off of the spindles.

I couldn't decide if the 7000lb latch would fit when i was ordering, so I got the 4000LB and 7000LB to see which one I liked better.
IMG_2012_10_18_7320.jpg

I decided to go with the BIG one! 7000lb clamping force with a .5 diameter u bolt...the clamps are really nice quality forgings from Jergens. They are always somewhat vulnerable, but I am not worried about this one. After I finished mounting it, I used my floor jack and picked the back of the Scout up using the handle as the jacking point! :Wow1:
IMG_2012_10_18_7315.jpg

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice stuff, those latches look awesome, where did you pick those up? Might need one of them...my De Sta Co is a little on the small side and I am not trusting it. Oh and that skid with the way it integrates with the bumper and the alignment of the "speed holes"... so nice!

rube bonet

Adventurer
Nice stuff, those latches look awesome, where did you pick those up? Might need one of them...my De Sta Co is a little on the small side and I am not trusting it.

Here is the company http://www.jergensinc.com/site/sfg_toggle_clamps/toggle_clamps_-_latch_clamps
Are you using the 2500 lb clamp? I used those (and a cheap import copy) on a production model bumper I had designed, and I always considered them adequate for general usage, and cheap enough to carry a spare. I used the bigger model destaco on most of the custom builds, and they are certainly beefy, but require quite a bit of force to operate. The Jergens clamps are just right, really nice pieces, and easier to package. I also forced my wife to come out and make sure she could open it without too much whining, the longer handle gives much better leverage.

Oh and that skid with the way it integrates with the bumper and the alignment of the "speed holes"... so nice!

Thanks for noticing :), it was kind of function over form thing. I wanted the tank as big as possible, which meant I had to place the mounting holes in the blind area of the boxing (and I dislike blind threaded holes). The big holes allow me to access the bolts with a regular wrench, or ratchet, makes the skid easier to take on and off after it gets bashed. I usually just try to make things as simple as possible to achieve the goals, then match the feel of the vehicle. Sometimes it even comes out looking alright in the end.:)

rube bonet

Adventurer
Please pass on to the owner of this incredible rig that we are having an Old Iron run in Feb and it would be super cool to have it there..and I know you have a beefy bit of old iron yourself so join in the family fun.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...-II-February-16-18-2013-KOFA-Wildlife-Reserve

Thanks for the invite, I would be glad to pass it on. I love the Kofas, my dad grew up in Yuma, so we explored out there quite a bit. The last time we were there exploring the ruins and graves of the Hovatter place, my dad told me he had eaten dinner there with the family as a teenager!

Scoutman

Explorer
Very nice build and as many others have already pointed out, very clean fab work. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Keep it up, I'm getting lots of good ideas for my current 76 Scout build. :elkgrin:

rube bonet

Adventurer
Nice work Rob. ITs well thought out and i love the OCD attention to detail. :)

Thanks! Then you will laugh about my "attention to detail". The owner brought it to my attention that I am actually working on a 1977 Scout Traveler....:sombrero:

Last edited:

rube bonet

Adventurer
Alright, I am waiting on some parts before I can finish the rear bumper and roof rack. I need some new nato cans to build the locking hold down for them, an arb awning, propane tank, hi lift, etc...

I decided to start on the dash. The owner picked out some gauges, really nice set from New Vintage.

IMG_2012_08_24_6870.jpg

Stock dash, I wanted to keep as much of it as I could, and build it out of steel so it looks original, I also wanted to integrate the AC vents into the dash, along with the HVAC controls and ARB switches. You can also see the factory Scout shifter I modified to work with the 4l60E, more on that later.

apillar-1.jpg

18 ga steel dash welded in, ready for the paint (Bondo and paint will make me what I ain't!:sombrero:)

IMG_2012_10_25_7328.jpg

IMG_2012_10_25_7327.jpg

Last edited:

rube bonet

Adventurer
Dash pad on, gauges mocked up. The 3 holes under the center ac vents are for the Vintage Air hvac controls. The 3 squares between the ash tray and cigarette lighter are for the ARBs. The factory light switch, wiper switch, and the clock all remained in their factory locations, and I still have room to mount 4 auxiliary switches. I even managed to keep the cool factory clock!

IMG_2012_10_26_7428.jpg

IMG_2012_10_25_7330.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design