1988 suburban cummins to be

lam396

Adventurer
What kind of gas mileage are you getting with that? I've been looking around on craigslist for a clean one but havent found one yet and I'm mostly just curious, and what do you expect you will get when you upgrade the motor?

coreys88burban

Adventurer
Yes i take it offroad, i got it like you see it and there is a few scratches i put in it but as soon as i wax it they will come out, and theres a few small dings too, BUT i havent really had $$ to go anywhere as im out of a job and i need new spring bushings (ordering ORD HD Shackles and greasable bushing tonight). As for the milage i get about 8 in town and 10-12 hwy...with a 5.3 i plan on 15 stock and then with E85 and a 4L80e itll go up (mpg killing th400 3 speed now!) sux i wont be able to get a cummins though. ill also do electric fan and all that and might be replacing my barn door windows, long side windows and rear door vent windows with percys speedglass, when the motor goes in ill remove the emmisions junk and all the AC including the interior parts for it and lose a lot of weight that way

Silverado

Adventurer
I would run regular 87 in that 5.3 and save the money trying to run E85 on the truck. E85 may be cheaper than gas currenty, but the loss in mileage almost makes up for the price discount. I also would recommend against deleting the A/C for a weight savings.....I'd take an extra 15lbs in exchange for a climate controlled cab anyday......no sense in trying to lighten a 3/4 ton suburban and the mileage won't increase with the mimimal loss in weight. It's already a heavy truck and unnecessarily replacing the glass with poly will only give you windows that scratch easily and water leaks on what appears to be a well maintained older 'burban.

Last edited:

Silverado

Adventurer
depends on the gearing and axles......

I know the 1/2 ton CUCV blazers with the 700r4 overdrive and 3:08 ratio axles can get upwards of 16-18 on the highway

the OP's 3/4 ton would greatly benefit from a p-pump 12 valve as that seems to be the popular swap on his style of truck. Keep your eyes open on cragslist.....my buddy just picked up a complete 96 12 valve for $500 a few weeks ago. Some people on CL have no idea what they have.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
depends on the gearing and axles......

I know the 1/2 ton CUCV blazers with the 700r4 overdrive and 3:08 ratio axles can get upwards of 16-18 on the highway

the OP's 3/4 ton would greatly benefit from a p-pump 12 valve as that seems to be the popular swap on his style of truck. Keep your eyes open on cragslist.....my buddy just picked up a complete 96 12 valve for $500 a few weeks ago. Some people on CL have no idea what they have.

i wish i could find one for $500! oh and the 6.2diesel get like 12 on a bad day with low gears and with high gears ive heard all the way up to 22.

the windows was just an idea, most likely never happen unless one gets busted.
as for AC i never use it. 4 windows down is PLENTY in Seattle:) and the load off the belt drive plus removing the rear vents and ENTIRE system would be quite a bit i would think (anyone know what the entire system weights?? with rear ac??

coreys88burban

Adventurer
What kind of gas mileage are you getting with that? I've been looking around on craigslist for a clean one but havent found one yet and I'm mostly just curious, and what do you expect you will get when you upgrade the motor?

by the way id sell mine for the right price, or trade for a LS1 F body/ powerstroke 7.3 or a 3+3 style crew cab chevy/gmc 82-91 id really like a pickup.

trail-explorer

Adventurer
For a rig that has been in WA State (where's it's wet 9 months of the year) , I'm really surprised at the good condition of the undercarriage - it's not all rusted up like so many older trucks are.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
For a rig that has been in WA State (where's it's wet 9 months of the year) , I'm really surprised at the good condition of the undercarriage - it's not all rusted up like so many older trucks are.

WA wont normally salt the roads in winter so that helps. youd think cars here should look like they are from the rust belt but they dont.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
got a tach just to keep an extra eye on the rpm's

33796340523.jpg

Also these just came in the mail...

ORD HD Front Shackles with Poly bushings and Greasable bolts!
-took me about 5 house to install these.

be sure to have vise grips, a drill motor and a saw with metal blades...in addition to your normal tools. also make sure to put grease on the bushings and sleeves and itll make the install go smoother.

-first thing was removing the old bolts that was a pain...the drivers side shackle to frame bolt gets in the way of the shift linkage so you must move the selector into 1st and it will clear just enough..on the passanger side the upper bolt must be cut in half using a sawzall as it is direct center of the exhaust y pipe! then the numerous drill bits to drill out the old bushings and vise grips to rip em out...
-I used a air compressor to get the old bolts loose, you may not need to if you have a cheater pipe or breaker bar (i have neither)
-the new ones fit great!! my truck is WAYYY smoother riding, and quieter on bumper and even brakes better and handles better (although my old ones were trash!)

on a 1988 suburban these will not give you any lift but on 1987 and below itll raise it 1/2"...mine raised about 1/4" though cuz my old bushings were almost gone and the sleeves were crushed.

33796340524.jpg

33796340525.jpg

33796340526.jpg

33796340531.jpg

33796340530.jpg

33796340533.jpg

And the old. :Wow1:

33796340528.jpg

33796340532.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Man that looks like a wicked upgrade Corey. I bet you have way better directional stability now considering how worn the old bushings were. Can we ask how much the parts cost you?:wings:

coreys88burban

Adventurer
Man that looks like a wicked upgrade Corey. I bet you have way better directional stability now considering how worn the old bushings were. Can we ask how much the parts cost you?:wings:

YES it drives way better, cost a couple cents under $114.00 shipped to me in WA state.

heres a link to the parts...the shipping changes when you put in you address.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/hdshackles.htm be sure to read the notes at the bottom if you plan to get them.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
few free mods today

-cut out a hole in the plastic piece that goes into the intake inlet and put a black screen over it for a bit more airflow.
-removed smog pump belt.
-noticed my tailpipe hanger was rusted to almost dust so i cut about 3 inches after my muffler (muffler still there not cut before) and grabbed the tailpipe and twisted the entire tailpipe off! lolz it sounds sweet now! just need a turndown.

BigCountry77

Doing some mods I might look into Corey. The interior in your burb must by a popular color because I have the same in my 89. I got to get the steering straightened out before I start doing mods. It wants to wonder a little. I got to replace the ball joints and changing the factory camber sleeves with aftermarket for more adjustment to see if this will correct it.

coreys88burban

Adventurer
Doing some mods I might look into Corey. The interior in your burb must by a popular color because I have the same in my 89. I got to get the steering straightened out before I start doing mods. It wants to wonder a little. I got to replace the ball joints and changing the factory camber sleeves with aftermarket for more adjustment to see if this will correct it.

good luck. yea the blue seems to be very common.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online