2011 Tacoma 4cyl Build

nr13

Observer
Looking to build this into a great hunting, camping, and overlanding machine. Went with the 4cyl to save on gas and price of the vehicle and reliability. The truck came with a brush guard and running boards. The brush guard was first to go as that the mounting was flimsy and not stout enough for what i would like to do with it.
34q9ylg.jpg

First Tail

2j0xatf.jpg

I bought a wrecked 06 nissan xterra from a friend for $2000 sold the body after I took off the steel bumper and winch, lift, moto metal wheels and rear bumper and swingaway spare tire holder for $1800 to a salvage yard. I then sold the wheels and lift for $800. I kept the front and rear bumper with the winch with hopes that someday I could use it on something. This it the test fit of that front bumper.

2q8rqxe.jpg

Bumper installed. Install was really not that painful considering it came off a completely different truck. All I really had to do was make the mounting bracket a little bigger and drill some new holes! A few broken drill bits and some welding is all really...

2vxrbkx.jpg

bumper with winch and bar. All it needs now is some black paint ( any rattle can recommendations?) and its good to go...

Next will be a leer 100R shell and some new tires. I will most likely put some kind of lift on it in the next year or so, but to be honest this thing is plenty capable stock.

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
Looks great. I just picked up the same rig, 2011 4cyl access cab. I really like the truck and the mileage is great. Better tires, skids, and maybe a little lift and it should be good to go. Have you read about or done the yellow wire mod? TRAC in low range really makes this a capable sock truck.

H

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice! I do like the 4-cylinder Tacomas. I've heard the 2.7 has some spunk. Good call on removing the brush guard. Those mounting arms that reach under the bumper have a tendency to get hung up on things...so much for being an "off-road accessory."

nr13

Observer
Yeah this 4cyl really plugs away. I'm not disappointed one bit with the power. owyhee I have not heard of a yellow wire mod. What is it?

Owyhee H

Adventurer
The yellow wire mod is to keep your TRAC system ON when in 4LOW. Normally the sysyem is disabled in 4LOW so you have open diffs. When you clip the "yellow wire" you keep TRAC on and so you can have the ALSD action in 4LOW. There are lots of write-ups and information on the web. Below is a link to one thread which has the instructions.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/51946-4low-trac-3.html
go to the beginning if you want, I linked a page with pics, because I like Pics.

And a link explaining what ALSD(TRAC) is.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/te...uto-lsd-explained-easy-understand-i-hope.html

nr13

Observer
Got the bumper fully installed with skid plate, winch and some fresh paint. This is how she turned out.
1ihml3.jpg

Went with your typical hardware store flat black enamel, that way when (not if) it gets scratched up i can just whip out the can and touch it up.
fas8t0.jpg

I found that the solenoid pack was very rusted and corroded from being mounted on the back side of the skid plate when it was on the Xterra. Needless to say the solenoid pack did not work any longer, so $230 later I installed the new pack under the hood to avoid that problem.
2r4tuur.jpg

All said and done I'm quite happy with the bumper. You really can't complain when the bumper essentially cost me nothing :)

Firebear MD718

Observer
I just completed some small mods on my 2010 4cyl Taco, went with Icon / TC UCA up front and OME w/ Dakar in the rear and I really do like it, I went with BFG MT K2's 235/85/16 all around, which are 1" taller than the 245/75/16, they don't rub any where, I don't have to regear and every thing stayed stock, I agree 0.2 x, Just got back from the Overland Rally in Ellensberg, WA and it did very well.
Scott

nr13

Observer
Sleeping platform and Leer 100R shell

Got some new mods done today... I have been doing a lot of research fro a sleeping platform to put in the truck bed and I decided simple yet versatile was what I wanted. There are some guys on here with amazing sleeping platform systems, but for me I wanted the ability to modify its arraignment/setup in seconds. So I borrowed Louisd75's take on the sleeping platform and made a few of my own modifications. Here is how it turned out:

4vpame.jpg

Forward compartment
s30yfo.jpg

center section removed for putting my dog kennel and any other high items in with the platform.
1tszsn.jpg

sides folded in
vwwzo4.jpg

Cut the driver side wing in half for more versatility in storing stuff
2rrxd0x.jpg

Got the shell installed today... love it one windoor with sliding window on driver side
vh5kzs.jpg

Front view
2w5n0qg.jpg

Beautiful sunset after I got done installing the sleeping platform
sy3yuo.jpg

rough dimensions
image.jpg

Last edited:

nr13

Observer
Carpeted Sleeping Platform

Installed a carpet that I picked up at home depot, I also put down a half inch of of closed cell foam.

r87802.jpg

screwed tubular webbing for handles to open the dividers.

et5q9x.jpg

eg4gp3.jpg

When sleeping on it i will use a 2.5 inch pad from Cabelas which is very comfortable.

Papa Tac

Observer
You, sir, will be imitated.
I will revamp my platform accordingly. I have a very simple layout
Cna't wait to see more...:ylsmoke:

nr13

Observer
IMO simple is much better. As long as there is nothing loaded underneath it I can slide the platform out in seconds, and by myself to boot! One thing I am working on fixing is making it so I can slide the removable center section right below where it sits so the bottom is resting on the truck bed. That way I do not have to set it in the front on top of the front compartment. More pics to come as I finish er up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1