2014 Ford E-350 12ft SRW Box Truck

CaptainBuilt

A lot of people don't use CB's anymore, but I like having one. When you're on the road a lot, they do help to have one. Everyone has been raving about the new off-road communications, GMRS, so I picked one of those up too. Also, I have a few friends that are HAM's. And it's also good to have.

I'm gonna have so many antennas on the new rig it's gonna be ridiculous LOL... So far I think we're up to 6.

1. Wi-Fi Booster Antenna.
2. WeBoost Antenna.
3. CB Antenna.
4. GMRS Antenna.
5. HAM Radio Antenna.
6. And... the regular am/fm antenna.

All of the antennas will be NMO mounts, including the CB.

The GMRS will have the stubby antenna, like the cops use.

Like this, but will be on the roof rack:

1qh5JrDl.jpg

Pics:

I mounted the Midland 40 watt GMRS and CB stacked:

5OO7EcBl.jpg

I wanna mount the head unit for the HAM radio near the A/C controls:

yBhNveFl.jpg

I cut off the rear step/bumper. So much more ground clearance! I'm going to add a trailer hitch soon. Just trying to figure out trailer wiring.

Q2SgkwAl.jpg

I switched out the rear LED reverse lights with new ones. I will be doing the same for the red lights, and adding another set.

Vflnzlal.jpg

Hard to see in this pic, but I added LED amber running lights on the bottom of the box, or what we call them, chicken lights! I love chicken lights. That was on of the first things I've been wanting to add, even before I got this rig.

BjrT10jl.jpg

CaptainBuilt

Ok, soooo.... none of you will believe this. Especially you @ujoint

This cab / chassis was made for FedEx. It's a 2014 E-350, 5.4L

Prepping for 4wd. The biggest thing I've been wondering about is the rear axle.

Look at this.....

Inside the rear wheel, both look exactly like this. What missing? Rear wheel sensor that's supposed to be on both wheels.

P830tdCh.jpg

So if it's not there, then it should be on the rear center diff, RIGHT?

NOPE!!
This van has ZERO sensors on the rear axle.

No sensor.

REg2xdxh.jpg

In this pic you can see the one rear brake line (usually is 2 on this year van) and the breather hose.

km9IsXxh.jpg

CaptainBuilt

Tuesday, I'll be pulling all the wheels and checking everything more closely. Now I'm really curious how the front is setup.

CaptainBuilt

Good, doesn't have the ABS wires. The speedo runs off the rear VSS on the 5R110 so you're good to go.

At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope the light isn't a train!

I drove 8 hours to Pittsburgh to move Betty Sue from the transmission shop to a storage unit. Then drove 8 hours back home on the same day.

New River Gorge flyby. Beautiful, right?

PTsE89Hl.jpg

Spotted my twin. Literally identical box trucks.

Vl66Sccl.jpg

And Betty Sue.

dTAiiRXl.jpg

They rebuilt the transmission, but didn't fix the TSS issue. They did however hack up the the wiring even more. And during the winter, a pack of rats moved in, and demolished the rest of the wiring and ripped out the insulation.

Now the van doesn't run, and is completely trashed. The only way to fix everything is rewire the entire van, and gut it. The rat pee smell is horrible.

I'm going to get the van brought home, and I will be parting it out. Keeping everything 4WD, and UJOR parts to swap over to the box truck. But selling everything I cant use, and bringing the rest to the scrap yard.

motovan_mn

At least there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hope the light isn't a train!

I drove 8 hours to Pittsburgh to move Betty Sue from the transmission shop to a storage unit. Then drove 8 hours back home on the same day.

New River Gorge flyby. Beautiful, right?

PTsE89Hl.jpg

Spotted my twin. Literally identical box trucks.

Vl66Sccl.jpg

And Betty Sue.

dTAiiRXl.jpg

They rebuilt the transmission, but didn't fix the TSS issue. They did however hack up the the wiring even more. And during the winter, a pack of rats moved in, and demolished the rest of the wiring and ripped out the insulation.

Now the van doesn't run, and is completely trashed. The only way to fix everything is rewire the entire van, and gut it. The rat pee smell is horrible.

I'm going to get the van brought home, and I will be parting it out. Keeping everything 4WD, and UJOR parts to swap over to the box truck. But selling everything I cant use, and bringing the rest to the scrap yard.

What a bummer about Betty Sue, so sorry to hear. Sounds like you are keeping your head up and continuing to make progress on the box truck though. Loving this thread!

CaptainBuilt

What a bummer about Betty Sue, so sorry to hear. Sounds like you are keeping your head up and continuing to make progress on the box truck though. Loving this thread!

Thanks. Yea, it really sucks about Betty Sue. But the box truck will be 4WD next month, even before I finish the interior.

CaptainBuilt

LiFePO4 batteries are starting to show up. I'm still offshore for a few more days, but I wanted to put a few things out there.

Originally, I was going with 800w of solar, but since I have the room for 2 more panels, I am going to add them. That will give me 1200 watts total.

I am building 4, 280ah LiFePO4 batteries with Overkill Solar BMS's, and ABS battery boxes. Instead of having some crazy looking batteries with lots of studs and electronics exposed, it will be in a battery box like this:

qYM9twFl.jpg

qWYQ03Al.jpg

kM2scunl.png

I will be using a Blue Sea 360 120v 30a panel, with 30a main breaker and 6 breakers. Ordered it from Hodges Marine. I thought about getting the 12v version for 12v stuff, but I am going to use the Blue Sea Weather Deck switches instead.

jjiX3sGl.jpg

Electronics will be all Victron. But I want tank level sensors for fresh, gray, and diesel heater tanks. To get this you need a Cerbo GX, with screen. That costs about $600.

There is a cheaper solution, that works I think better than the original. You can load the Venus OS software directly from Victron to a Raspberry Pi 3, with touchscreen for around $100. And you can load GUI Mods to it, which gives you a ton of more options than the Cerbo GX.

Raspberry Pi's are hard to find right now, but I got one off eBay with a touchscreen for $120.

64s8akjl.jpg

N7CFcoMl.jpg

Victron components to be installed I ordered from Battleborn Batteries:

Multiplus 12/3000
MPPT 150 | 85
Lynx Distributor
SmartShunt
12| 12 DC to DC 30a charger

Also being added:

Blue Sea Battery switch
RV SmartPlug 30a inlet
and a few other things I can't remember.

I am pulling the floors up and going to POR -15 everything. Then add the back wall. Hopefully, things really should start moving pretty quickly. I really wanna have this thing finished so I can get it weighed for @ujoint springs.

CaptainBuilt

Pulled the old Fiamma awning off the 7.3. Now it kinda looks like a RV!

N0yoHcDl.jpg

QcQ2Cvll.jpg

Waiting on another BMS to show up, but I have 2 battery packs. 560ah of LiFePO4. Another 560 ah on the way. And I'm adding another 2, 200w solar panels for 1200w total of solar.

zK5ft0Bl.jpg

Victron makes a Cerbo GX and GX display for system monitoring. That costs $600. A Raspberry Pi loaded with Venus OS and a RPi 7" screen costs $100:

SalGbJzl.jpg

MpCV3yel.jpg

iuMBYVnl.jpg

Pulled up the floors, cleaned and POR 15 everything. It's all down hill from here!

qjycLs2l.jpg

4scuFr0l.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal