2014 Ford E-350 12ft SRW Box Truck

CaptainBuilt

Been moving and working on the new house. Haven't had time to work on the box truck that much.

Big things are in the works tho.

Added a SmartPlug, and future Starlink outlet:

3cNyIzJl.jpg

I built DIY house batteries. They are 4, 280ah LiFePO4 batteries = 1120ah of pure awesomeness.

wIO8EX5l.jpg

CaptainBuilt

Dayum, now that’s a battery bank!
Yes, it is lol.

Pecking away at everything I need to do before finishing the inside...

I mounted all the solar panels again. Just did it a better way, that way they fly off on the interstate like last time.

Before I had a Fiamma awning. It was cool and all, but I sold it with the old van. I almost bought another one, but they were backed up until July. Instead I went with a RV type awning. It's powered, and you just press a button and it extends / rectracts and stops on it's own. And it doesn't need legs.

AND, it's a LOT cheaper.

It is bulkier, but I have a box truck, not a van.

Installed:

2MJwOEMl.jpg

Open:

VN7zxLLl.jpg

LED awning lights:

adzF4htl.jpg

I really like it.

CaptainBuilt

That awning looks great! Have a model number or supplier link?

If you look at the mounting instructions: https://www.recpro.com/content/RP-PAFRM Powered Awning User ManualC.pdf

You can change the length of the awning if needed. It is bolted together with rivnuts on the assembly tube.

Overall, I am happy with it. The only thing I found is, when full closed, the arms don't collapse all the way. They come with velcro straps to keep them closed. For the price, if you can mount it on a flat surface, it can't be beat.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my Fiamma. And the build quality of the Fiamma is great. But for me, not having a regular van and having the flat surface to mount it, it's better (for my application). The in / out button is automatic. You just press it once and it automatically stops when fully retracted or extended.

Here are the mounting instructions I used:

Electrical Setup:

MZzwQfYh.jpg

Side view:

oxn87L1h.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainBuilt

I got a front axle. Looking for a rear with the 2011+ e locker.

I was wondering which gears I should go with. Then I started calculating everything. Last time I went with 4.56 gears. This time, I'm going with 4.88 gears.

The stock tires are 29" tall, with 4.10 gears. Going to a 35" tire is a 20.88% increase.

4.10 to 4.56 gears is only a 11.2% increase. Going to 4.88 gears is a 19% increase. Which is the nearest to the gearing I have now.

Sink is in, still need to build a cabinet face. The entire inside now has flooring and paint. Waiting on a few things before I can finish the bed frame.

Gxwgn06l.jpg

5oKV1K9l.jpg

CaptainBuilt

I was having solar controller issues. The MPPT I got was DOA. It never worked.

It would never show voltage from the batteries, even though it would have power going to it.

b129vYil.png

qicmFASl.jpg

Battleborn Batteries sent out a new MPPT under warranty. Now, everything is up and running!

KOcnF2il.png

CaptainBuilt

I had to wait on the A/C to be fixed before I went any further. It's just too hot down here.

When I installed the mini split, it was supposed to come pre-charged. However, mine did not. A/C dude came and charged the system, and now it's a freezer in there. I wanted to run it just on batteries all night and see how it would handle everything.

This is at full blast, middle of the day, 95 degrees outside:

550W 85 degrees inside:

35KfvwLl.jpg

This was about 10pm. 200w running, 67 degrees inside:

Z5mNWUil.jpg

This was 7am the next morning:

oVwiX17l.jpg

Used 25% of the batteries over a 10 hour period. Totally impressed. I can't wait to see if the solar charges everything back up.

In real world usage, the DC to DC charger will help too when we are driving. And I will be able to plug into a 120v outlet on the road.

I'm super stoked with this setup!!!

iggi

Ian
I got a front axle. Looking for a rear with the 2011+ e locker.

I was wondering which gears I should go with. Then I started calculating everything. Last time I went with 4.56 gears. This time, I'm going with 4.88 gears.

The stock tires are 29" tall, with 4.10 gears. Going to a 35" tire is a 20.88% increase.

4.10 to 4.56 gears is only a 11.2% increase. Going to 4.88 gears is a 19% increase. Which is the nearest to the gearing I have now.

Sink is in, still need to build a cabinet face. The entire inside now has flooring and paint. Waiting on a few things before I can finish the bed frame.
You've probably sorted out the gearing already, but in case you haven't. Our rigs are probably similar in weight and wind resistance. I went to a 235/85R16 tire which is a hair less than 32 inches with the stock 4.10 gears and it's a touch too tall. It does cruise nice and is a bit quieter but on the negative side it now drops out of OD on hills that it never down shifted on before, plus it often won't shift into OD until like 50mph. So, I've been contemplating going to 4.56 when I do my 4x4 conversion.

CaptainBuilt

You've probably sorted out the gearing already, but in case you haven't. Our rigs are probably similar in weight and wind resistance. I went to a 235/85R16 tire which is a hair less than 32 inches with the stock 4.10 gears and it's a touch too tall. It does cruise nice and is a bit quieter but on the negative side it now drops out of OD on hills that it never down shifted on before, plus it often won't shift into OD until like 50mph. So, I've been contemplating going to 4.56 when I do my 4x4 conversion.
My last van had 4.56. That's probably what I will go with.

The axle I bought, I haven't even cleaned it.

k0Dzqlcl.jpg

It will be a while before I do the 4wd conversion. I had a 2022 RV cab / chassis that was wrecked. But I sold it:

fpZArXyl.jpg

My plan is to buy a new 2024 cab / chassis that fits my box truck now, and move the box over to the new chassis. Once I sell my current cab/chassis, I'll use those funds to make it 4wd.

jronwood

Adventurer
Nice.... I want to follow. Love love love the 5r110 trannys. I had a few in V10s standard ambos (2014) ....and I have 5.4s and 7.3 cutaway quigleys. (2), and a couple IDI vans both standard and cutaways . Lol yeah I have issues. The v10 gives you same mileage as 5.4 on open highway...FYI. love that engine. I got 15 mpg at 65 mph on semi hilly highway at 9k gvw.

CaptainBuilt

Nice.... I want to follow. Love love love the 5r110 trannys. I had a few in V10s standard ambos (2014) ....and I have 5.4s and 7.3 cutaway quigleys. (2), and a couple IDI vans both standard and cutaways . Lol yeah I have issues. The v10 gives you same mileage as 5.4 on open highway...FYI. love that engine. I got 15 mpg at 65 mph on semi hilly highway at 9k gvw.

I don't mind the 5.4. Doesn't have crazy power, but gets the job done.

I need to finish the shower, but that will have to wait until after our trip we're about to go on. I have a toilt we will use. But the box truck is camp ready-ish.

Nespresso machine:

ah2w7evl.jpg

tvKvhCel.jpg

iMRuLIXl.jpg

Found these roll up blinds at IKEA. They fit perfect!

Pbav7cJl.jpg

All the systems, like hot water heater, water pump, mini split, etc all have been tested. And everything works. Gonna throw a mattress in and go campming!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal