3rd Gen 4Runner tire carrier build-up

BruceTS said:
Hehe, just turn the cans around and it's more difficult to get to the caps. I do have a plan to make a strap that covers the caps when the cans are turned, but if someone was that intent on stealing the fuel, nothing would prevent them from puncturing the cans.

Turning the cans around is the way to go then. Yeah, your right about the puncturing. Anyways, I still like your design.

BruceTS

Observer
Made the Hi-Lift mounts, and mocked up everything....

carrier7230.jpg

BruceTS

Observer
I was asked for measurments on the fuel carrier, here they are;
base plate width is 13 1/4" and depth is 13 3/4" outside frame height is 15". Built mainly out of 1 1/2" x 1/8" angle iron and 1 1/2" x 1/8" strap.

The 1 3/4" x 1 3/4" frame inside dimensions are 21 1/4" high and the width is 13 1/2".

More pictures tomorrow... It's all painted ready to go.

BruceTS

Observer
Finally complete! well almost...........

carrier7236.jpg

Showing the clearance between the body, any closer would not be advised.....
carrier7237.jpg

carrier7244.jpg

The secondary latch, is a padlock.....
carrier7239.jpg

Showing with both swung out, boy them HiLift extreme jacks look purdy.
carrier7247.jpg

carrier7248.jpg

Joyce is gonna order a FJ-40 license plate holder for me to install, but for now zip ties will do...
carrier7251.jpg

BTW thanks for all the complements.... now I need to build another for myself!

BruceTS

Observer
I tucked everything in as tight as possible, allowing for flex, even then you can still sustain some body damage if you back into something hard enough......

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
10-4 I thought it looked good to me. The irbis offroad bumper has more gap then I would like, and I thought maybe I was missing something. Yours looks good!

Aaron

Blizz

Observer
Hi Bruce, very nice bumper.

Don't you've something to prevent the jerrycans hitting the tailgate?

Your bumper is a nice inspiration to me, I'm begginning with mine soon.

David

corax

Explorer
sure is purdy . . . So, the jerry can swing out is held closed by the tire swing out? you probably explained that on one of the previous pages, but I'm feeling lazy.

tour4fun

A very BIG thank you to Bruce :bowdown: .

It's taken nearly a year of begging and pleading, but he finally made it :clapsmile .

I really like the design. Since it's also my daily driver, I wanted to be able to take it all off for mall crawling :). There's no way to fit into a compact short space with everything hanging off the rear. It is really easy to open and close and everything fits really tight.

BruceTS

Observer
For now the cans are held in place by either the weight of the cans or a simple ratchet strap. Once the license plate mount comes in I'll add a bolt on strap to lock them in.

BruceTS

Observer
Hehe, instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'll just add to this one...

carrier07268.jpg

carrier07277.jpg

This is a carrier I built for my rig , but made a few changes to it since backing into a boulder on the Rubicon. I relocated the HiLift jack, placing it closer in and lower.

765340_207_full.jpg

I had it up underneath the tire but it stuck out a bit far. In Big Bear it actually snagged a tree branch and bent the jack.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Other variations...

BruceTS said:
In Big Bear it actually snagged a tree branch and bent the jack.

:yikes:

That's a great testament to the stoutness of your bumper and fab skills!

Great work and another cool idea!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1