3rd Gen 4Runner tire carrier build-up

BruceTS

Observer
I'm fabricating a bolt-on carrier for one of my custom bumpers.

Here's the progress so far.....

carrier7206.jpg

The short leg will hold the 2 fuel cans and the long leg will have the spare tire and hi-lift jack.

carrier7208.jpg

One of the pivot points, I'm using graphite impregnated delrin bushings.

The whole assembly will simply slip over the hitch assembly and shackle hanger mounts. 3 bolts will lock it down. I still need to add a few more braces, but it does mount solid.

The reason I made one leg longer than the other is the type of latch assembly I plan to mount. The hitch would have been in the way, besides this also give a bit more room for the tire as well.

FlatlandTRD

Observer
Very cool, have always enjoyed your write-ups and wealth of knowledge over the years. (So thanks!) and look forward to the new project.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
great looking work as always. I look forward to the finished product.:wavey:

BruceTS

Observer
I'll have plenty of pictures Saturday, that's when I plan to get most of it done. Currently I have no pics of it mounted......

BruceTS

Observer
fabricated the latching assembly..... even with both swung out, it is quite sturdy, note there are no mounting bolts holding it in place :D

carrier7211.jpg

This is with the 2 fuel cans base plate and riser for the tire carrier attached. I wanted to use a different type of latching system, but Joyce wanted a user friendly set-up.
carrier7217.jpg

The plates overlap and when closed it is very solid
carrier7218.jpg

carrier7220.jpg

Above the latch, I'll drill a hole for a padlock. Added the round tube where the tire mounts, so it's easier to hoist into place. Now it will be a simple task to line up the bolt holes.....

carrier7223.jpg

Tomorrow I'll finish adding all the bracing, build the fuel can box and hi-lift mounts.... then sand and paint.....

Last edited:

BruceTS

Observer
Finished the fuel can carrier and added bracing to the tire carrier. Ran out of gas for the welder so I'll have to complete the rest during the week.
carrier7224.jpg

I intentionally didn't add a diagonal support on the left side of the tire carrier, I plan to attach the Hi-lift there. The mounts will bolt the jack solid, so it will act as the additional brace.
carrier7225.jpg

The cans can only be removed from the inside, so when latched and locked they are safe from would-be-theives.
carrier7226.jpg

BruceTS said:
The cans can only be removed from the inside, so when latched and locked they are safe from would-be-theives.
carrier7226.jpg

Do you have a way to keep them from opening the top and sucking the gas out? It might be a good to come up with a piece of metal that covers the caps. A hinge on one side and a lock on the other. Does that make a sense? Lol.

Last edited:

BruceTS

Observer
Hehe, just turn the cans around and it's more difficult to get to the caps. I do have a plan to make a strap that covers the caps when the cans are turned, but if someone was that intent on stealing the fuel, nothing would prevent them from puncturing the cans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1