6.5 bed or 8' bed ?

Roktman

Hey Guys, time for a new truck. This one will be for play mostly with a pop-up truck camper either a "tune M-1or a hiatus. An 8 foot bed would be perfect but I want half ton and I think only Toyota offers a double cab with an 8 foot bed in the half ton. never had one all I hear is good truck ,garbage mileage. Everybody else won't give you what you want less you go to HD 3/4 ton or no cab 1:2 ton ,don't want either Occasionally ill be towing a 7x12 self built out cargo trailer, 300 pound tongue weight 3000 pounds Overall, I guess my question is I wonder if it 8 foot bed supercab and a half ton would be hard to sell if I decided not to go with the pop up truck camper eventually and how hard would it be to sell the truck camper itself at 8 feet, I don't know I could get a better deal on the one sitting in the lot at 6.5 feet and get exactly what I want but it would sure be nice to have that 8 foot bed, any thoughts, thanks guys

carterd

Some random thoughts:
- An 8 foot bed would in theory give you more stability, but for the lightweight camper options you are pursuing and relatively light trailer this isn't really an issue
- An 8 foot bed will have a longer wheelbase, and thus worse turning radius and ramp breakover angle
- You don't see too many 8 foot bed Tundras. 8 foot beds are usually on 3/4 ton or larger trucks, and probably more often on heavy duty platforms (Ram, Ford, Chevy). It would probably be harder to sell, but with patience you would find a taker
- Depending on the length of your camper, with a 6.5 foot bed you may need to remove the tailgate with the Hiatus option. With an 8 foot bed you may be able to keep the tailgate and close it (which provides added security as the Hiatus campers has rear entry doors). For the Tune M1 it doesn't matter.
- I would carefully add up the weight of the camper, all occupants, gear, accessories, trailer tongue weight, etc. and make sure you fit withing the payload envelope of the Tundra. The typical Tundra will have a 1,600 pound payload capacity. A general rule of thumb is to only operate at 80% of max payload, so call this 1,280 pounds. A 500 pound camper, 2-3 occupants, gear, accessories, and 300 pound tongue weight will exceed this very quickly. 3/4 ton trucks were made for this type of application, although there are drawbacks.

driveby

Why not a 2500? Generally speaking the $$ aren't that different but the hardware you get is. On a rainy weekend that extra space will be huge. Regardless the turning radius/break over etc is a huge concern if you go on tight roads. My vote is a 2500 with 8' and call it a day. But it's not my money nor my driveway that'll it'll be parked in.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
I went from an 8’ ex-cab half ton 4x4 to a 6 3/4’ ex-cab 3/4 ton 4x4 and absolutely loved the switch. I hated, hated, hated the turning radius of the 8’. And loved, loved, loved the extra carrying capacity of the 4/4 ton.

Simple as that…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk