99 Jeep XJ Intro and expedition "build" attempt! Plus some restoration.

Overland History

Wanderluster
That looks killer with the black wheels! The backspacing for them also looks good. How much backspacing are they? I'm gonna guess 4.5"? Any rubbing or have you flexed it out yet?

Also, would like to see the details on the jerry can mounts! ;)

HercDriver

Adventurer
Thanks! My wife talked me into black wheels. I originally was going to get silver like the one thats currently on the carrier. Glad I listened. The offset is 0 and the backspacing is 4.5. Ill snag a pic of the jerry can mount up close.

That looks killer with the black wheels! The backspacing for them also looks good. How much backspacing are they? I'm gonna guess 4.5"? Any rubbing or have you flexed it out yet?

Also, would like to see the details on the jerry can mounts! ;)

mmrocek

Observer
Thanks! I managed to put it together with grade 8 bolts, paint and the carrier itself for about $80 bucks. I can't complain as its done its job so far.

Theres a bracket that attaches to the inside of the quarter panel that the swing arm mount bolts into. Ill try and snag a pic of it in my phone somewhere.

That carrier can handle a lot of abuse for as small as it looks. I had one on my 91 XJ that I rolled into a ravine doing recovery, flipping it a few times, and the carrier with a 33 inch tire was still firmly attached when it landed.

HercDriver

Adventurer
That carrier can handle a lot of abuse for as small as it looks. I had one on my 91 XJ that I rolled into a ravine doing recovery, flipping it a few times, and the carrier with a 33 inch tire was still firmly attached when it landed.

Wow thats impressive! Its worked out fine for me so far.

Bob Keyes

Red type bomb icon warning

Your tire carrier has a design flaw.......a bad one, the retention cable will spin on the bumper causing the tire carrier to overun the limit driving the upper mount on the quarter panel inward even with the bracing. This will not only cause a huge dent but render the carrier useless.......This is the voice of sad experience!!!!!!

Last edited:

HercDriver

Adventurer
Your tire carrier has a design flaw.......a bad one, the retention cable will spin on the bumper causing the tire carrier to overun the limit driving the upper mount on the quarter panel inward even with the bracing. This will not only cause a huge dent but render the carrier useless.......This is the voice of sad experience!!!!!!

There is no retention cable on mine. I hold it open when I open the trunk and close it. But I appreciate the insight!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online