Alu-Cab Khaya Camper

Fueggia

Selkman
Has there been any consideration for mounting the Khaya on a flatbed? has it been done? or must we consider its sister camper OSSEWA instead? Thoughts? thx!

BDRXO

Supporting Sponsor / Approved Vendor
Has there been any consideration for mounting the Khaya on a flatbed? has it been done? or must we consider its sister camper OSSEWA instead? Thoughts? thx!

To my knowledge nobody has applied the Khaya to a custom flatbed application yet....although I am a HUGE fan of all things flatbed and have been very tempted to work w/ someone like Patriot Off Road to develop a productized flatbed for our 2018 Tacoma. That would add a huge amount of storage capability that gets lost with a standard bed.

As for the Ossewa, unfortunately, that product has been discontinued....so unless you can find one used (which would be like finding hen's teeth), afraid you are out of luck there :)

MuleShoer

Adventurer
Contact aluma-line they will build you a custom aluminum bed to your concepts, they have built quite few for the overland industry. Located in iowa

alexplb

I'd love to see some decent off camber shots with this unit in a tacoma.... It looks awesome but the weight of that thing is like having a baby elephant

alexplb

last fall we hit some solid VT trails with MSO’s Taco/Khaya and I thought it did quite well.

this clip is at the end of a challenge section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doesn't look too bad but does look heavy, what sort of suspension are you running with it?

BDRXO

I just saw sneak preview photo's of the new 4-sleeper Khaya we will be picking up as our newest display unit at Overland Expo west. Stay tuned for photo's...

StitchTaco

I have the 4 sleeper on my 2018. Just finished the install yesterday and all I can say is it is perfect for my needs. Dror at Genesis import in Kitzingen, DE fitted it to their first ever Tacoma in Europe.I can take some interior photos this afternoon when I get off work if anyone is interested. I need to sort out the rest of the suspension as it is riding on just bags right now. That was mainly due to the fact that I cannot source parts as easily while I am here and the USPS weight restrictions prevent me from getting any vendor to send the leaves. 70 lbs max shipping weight. Of course I have the 220v setup but that I can use globally with the right adapters and setup or just keep it green with the solar.

BDRXO

I have the 4 sleeper on my 2018. Just finished the install yesterday and all I can say is it is perfect for my needs. Dror at Genesis import in Kitzingen, DE fitted it to their first ever Tacoma in Europe.I can take some interior photos this afternoon when I get off work if anyone is interested. I need to sort out the rest of the suspension as it is riding on just bags right now. That was mainly due to the fact that I cannot source parts as easily while I am here and the USPS weight restrictions prevent me from getting any vendor to send the leaves. 70 lbs max shipping weight. Of course I have the 220v setup but that I can use globally with the right adapters and setup or just keep it green with the solar.

That is awesome!...and thx for posting up Stitch Taco. I'm super excited about getting the first 4S in the US and love the way Alu-Cab continues to push innovation in all their products. Would love to see interior shots of yours when you get a chance...

StitchTaco

I just posted a short impressions video on Youtube after I got home from work. By no means am I any kind of expert but I think it closes the gap on some of the potential questions. It is heavy in my opinion and airbags as well as HD springs are going to be a must. With just airbags I feel there is no redundancy. I have contacted ARB Australia to see if they can get me the HD Dakars from the warehouse in Prague.

BDRXO

If anyone buys a Khaya, upgrading the suspension is a MUST! Otherwise the handling is downright scary. For my display truck I just did the OME heavy kit w/ the E96 rear springs (+660lbs over capacity) as well as a 1" spacer block. The transformation after doing the suspension was like night and day. Thx for posting up your video...and I'm sure OME can get you those springs some how some way...

StitchTaco

Handling is ok with the airbags and stable for road trips as I have already put 600km's hauling it but I agree that bags and springs for this "baby elephant" are going to be a must. I will need to at times take it off and do not want a harsh ride unloaded.

BDRXO

Handling is ok with the airbags and stable for road trips as I have already put 600km's hauling it but I agree that bags and springs for this "baby elephant" are going to be a must. I will need to at times take it off and do not want a harsh ride unloaded.
You will definitely want to get the E96 heavy springs. With the 96 series springs that "baby elephant" feeling totally disappears. Thanks again for posting up the video!

RoninWanderer

Definitely lost.... ?
I just posted a short impressions video on Youtube after I got home from work. By no means am I any kind of expert but I think it closes the gap on some of the potential questions. It is heavy in my opinion and airbags as well as HD springs are going to be a must. With just airbags I feel there is no redundancy. I have contacted ARB Australia to see if they can get me the HD Dakars from the warehouse in Prague.

Very cool, took me a minute to realize this was the 4-person setup. The interior confused me! My two-person should be ready here soon and I can't wait. I have planned for the weight and have a HD suspension setup....so hopefully not too bad. Enjoy your rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1