Amicalola: Last Trip of 2008

michaels

Explorer
here is our map of that weekend. we started at D, ran it to somewhere in between C and E, and turned around to go to A to camp near the baptist church hidden in the woods and to see the Falls. then we turned back and went all the way way down bucktown through E, I, and F. we ended up not finding I and F, and drove on to 60, where we recognized our campsite for SOLAROS land rover rally ( SAE 2008) and ended up driving the roads we knew into Blairsville in order to see if Beasley Knob was open, which it wasn't.

do you know the roads I and F? we were going to run I to G and H, the go from there to F and back to the HWY

We also ran into ZOLO on here and he had a very nice tacoma. apparently, he ahs a wealth of trail info of this area.

EricG

Explorer
I've got a map of the area been by the turn off for the falls on 515, just never been, and I wanted to find out where the roads start.

If anyone's interested I may be able to make it up there either the last week end of this month or the 1st or 2nd week end of Feb. My old lady's due to have a baby around the 23rd so I need to be here for that. She's already told me I can't go to Savannah for St. Patty's day.

I could do a day trip, sad to say camping will be out for a while.

Eric

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
michaels said:
do you know the roads I and F? we were going to run I to G and H, the go from there to F and back to the HWY.
I is fs-42 and F is fs-58, aka Natootley Creek Rd. 58 has a neat little side road and plenty of nice campsites.
Neither road presents any 4WD challenge; 42 has an interesting part after the intersection of 77 if it rains though... ...a triple whoop-d-doo, but that's rare.
I consider those roads "scenic highways" in the nf.
They're fun to run around on though.
If you take I to H and go up Rock Creek, you'll get to a trout fishery and a little campground with toilets.
Look at your map and scan to the right from H. The roads aren't on the map between Camp Merrill and H, but they're in there.

We camp more than wheel but let me know when you're up for another attack. It's much nicer in late spring or early fall. Bring something for the bears in early spring or late fall though...

:gunt:

EricG said:
If anyone's interested I may be able to make it up there either the last week end of this month or the 1st or 2nd week end of Feb. My old lady's due to have a baby around the 23rd so I need to be here for that. She's already told me I can't go to Savannah for St. Patty's day.

I could do a day trip, sad to say camping will be out for a while.

Eric
Nashvillerover and his lovely wife took their 10-month-old camping with us...

Holler; we're always rolling on the weekends. Sometimes camping, sometimes just putting around.
I got tired of posting and trying to recruit all the time; the only one that ever showed up was a friend with an FJ from my Mini Cooper forum and BigJerm. Both those guys have skills, btw.

Last edited:

EricG

Explorer
I'm looking foward to taking him camping. Like I said any weekend at the end of this month and beg of next month I may be able to get together. If you have anything going I may tag along if you don't mind.

Eric

S

stu454

Sounds like a great area that I've missed somehow.

I won't be doing much camping for a while since the baby is due in April.

Come Fall, though, it's on!

pnorvell

Adventurer
Wow, this exploded with interest. I planned the trip to Amicalola thinking that my two friends, (Michaels) and (Jeff_Wright), would come up and wheel for a bit. But it quickly turned into quite a few trucks, six in total. Great turn out by far. There are a lot of roads up in N. GA that are more for scenery than off-roading but are still fun to drive down and explore. Another area that offers some fun is the area of Blue Ridge in N. GA. Tons of scenic roads up there. I would love to join up with whoever goes just keep me posted on the dates. Here are some pics I took:

PC280043.jpg

PC280044.jpg

PC280045.jpg

PC280042.jpg

PC280031.jpg

PC280021.jpg

PC280005.jpg

PC290079.jpg

PC290069.jpg

PC290061.jpg

pnorvell

Adventurer
This was the first time that our friend Jarrod, I dubbed "G4 Jarrod", had taken his truck off road. I was a little worried at first for his truck because of the conditions of the trails. I'm glad to say that when i last spoke with him he informed me that he would be purchasing a lift, tires etc etc very soon! I'm really glad that his first experience went so well!

michaels

Explorer
pnorvell said:
This was the first time that our friend Jarrod, I dubbed "G4 Jarrod", had taken his truck off road. I was a little worried at first for his truck because of the conditions of the trails. I'm glad to say that when i last spoke with him he informed me that he would be purchasing a lift, tires etc etc very soon! I'm really glad that his first experience went so well!

me too! i was really impressed with his driving abilities too. he certainly outdrove me AND you on that one tough section, but he DID take the bypass. ha! i hope he joins this site and goes for more adventures with us. pete, keep me posted if he sends you any pictures of his truck after the goodies!

jeff_wright

Adventurer
This really was a fun ride. Hopefully next time we'll be able to stay longer, but until then here are a few of my shots.
DSC_2350_2.jpg

DSC_2515.jpg

DSC_2464.jpg

DSC_2495.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

EricG

Explorer
Maybe everyone that's going to have a kid should meet up after they are born for some camping. I know that sounds gay doesnt it. Mainly to start them off on the right foot.

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1