Another one bites the dust?

Blair G

Adventurer
Alaska Mike said:
There's what, 5 Unimog owners in the world? How heated could the arguments get, especially considering they're all deaf from highway driving.:shakin:

I ALWAYS WONDERED WHY WE TYPED IN CAPS.
Blair

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
Alaska Mike said:
You make me giggle.:)
You think it's limited to Land Rovers? The Jeep world has had this for over 50 years. The flat-fender guys thought the round fender guys were inferior. The round headlight guys hated the square headlight guys. The body on chassis guys hated the unibody guys... every time the manufacturer changed designs or the ownership changed, another reason for conflict arose. Even when reliability and/or capability improved, somehow there was that new/old battle. I guess it's human nature.

Oh, and I've seen it in Toyota with the IFS vs solid axle guys.

:D You forgot Sami vs. Sidekick vs. Tracker, E30 M3 vs. E36 M3 vs. E46 M3, and blonde vs. brunette vs. redhead! I know it happens with other brands/types of cars all the time and will continue to do so till the end of time. As long as it can be debated, it will be. It just stinks that all of these seemingly endless debates have become the cornerstone of the LR section recently.

So where's that glasser vs. tin top thread?

Last edited:

Blair G

Adventurer
MuddyMudskipper said:
:D You forgot Sami vs. Sidekick vs. Tracker, E30 M3 vs. E36 M3 vs. E46 M3, and blonde vs. brunette vs. redhead! I know it happens with other brands/types of cars all the time and will continue to do so till the end of time. As long as it can be debated, it will be. It just stinks that all of these seemingly endless debates have become the cornerstone of the LR section recently. So where's that glasser vs. tin top thread?

And the fact that new generation Range Rovers and Disco's have airbags. So that we have the leafers against the coilers and you guesssed it...the Airbags.

Blair

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
MuddyMudskipper said:
:D It just stinks that all of these seemingly endless debates have become the cornerstone of the LR section recently.
To me, they're not. The cornerstone of this section is the buildup threads like a certain diesel 109 or a couple sweet Discos I can think of.

MuddyMudskipper said:
So where's that glasser vs. tin top thread?
We do have our standards.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Alaska Mike said:
There's what, 5 Unimog owners in the world? How heated could the arguments get, especially considering they're all deaf from highway driving.:shakin:

I just ********! Too funny. Mike, you have redeemed yourself with that A game sarcasm. And yes, I ******** with a tumbler of Hennessey Cognac in one hand whilst sitting on my pompous green oval bumm, thank you very much. (where's my linen). :ylsmoke:

This is the ulimate thread. In the end there can only be one! It's like crabgrass! Delete and lock all you want, you can't stop us!!!:jumping: So what color should a Rover be painted to really be a Rover? Mine's expo white , and I never liked those red rovers...that's just so Ford.

Scott Brady

Founder
Well.... Here is the deal.

People are passionate about the vehicle they drive, just like they love the breed of dog they own, or their choice of where they live.

I believe it is healthy to advise others of your opinion on things, especially if it comes from first-hand knowledge. That is what makes an internet forum so effective and valuable, the accumulation of people experiences, both good and bad.

The difference here on ExPo is that we do our best to not make things personal, and certainly not insulting to the other poster.

The next time you get offended by something, don't take it personal or make it personal but engage in the debate as an intellectual and advise why your experience with something is different. There is nothing wrong with some good humor tossed in either.

The challenge with the Land Rover marque is the long heritage and very defined evolution, especially in the NA marketplace. The vehicles started as pure work/functional tools, both for exploration and as an implement for farmers, etc. Land Rover left the US marketplace as one product and returned as another with the Range Rover. The Range Rover is equally impressive in its own right, but it is most certainly different, with the purity of function and utility replaced by elements of comfort and recreational performance. The transition continues in the direction of luxury, at the cost of utility. Off-highway performance of the new Land Rovers are impressive. The only nay-sayers are the one who have never driven an LR3 with the diff. locks. Of course, the new Land Rover and Range Rovers do not lend themselves to extensive modification, etc., but I would be so bold as to say not much modification is needed, just some good tires and a winch (among other overland specific support systems).

Yet, I chose to buy a 1995 Discovery I, as it is the one Land Rover I really want to drive (being that I have recently made an investment in an expedition vehicle that would preclude the purchase of a 110). I absolutely love to drive my disco on the road and trail and have no interest in a series truck for that purpose. It certainly doesn't mean that I don't have major 109 P/U lust.

I genuinely believe that every single inflammatory post in Mike's thread had a very obvious undercurrent of ignorance and self-serving postulation - period. One guy buys a Disco, some Series guy knocks it and the disco guy is now all aflame. Come-on... Don't you think the Disco buyer made a choice the suited his needs and that the series LR guy did the same?

That is the clearly obvious "silliness" of brand or even model bashing. I have read posts from the same guy that LOVES Land Rovers and then six months later buys a Toyota and now HATES Land Rovers. I read countless posts from Toyota guys that have never owned or even driven a Land Rover that bash them in a public forum. They are just web wheelers...

The people who bash other brands and models are always web wheelers as any real travel or trail experience at all will quickly teach you that ANY vehicle can fail or get stuck. The brand bashers have no real experience to show them that even the mighty FZJ80 can blow a PHH or head gasket or power steering line (I have seen them all go), or even break suspension components and certainly birfields. I have seen Rovers fail, UZJ100's fail, Patrols, Hi-Lux, even a 70 series (that was due to aftermarket parts though ;) ). Lack of experience and ignorance leads to prejudice.

The travelers that I meet, who have traveled around the world... They NEVER talk about trucks, barely even their own. Why? They want to share their experiences, what they have seen, the people they have met, the things they have learned.

The vehicle doesn't matter, it is only a tool, just like a stove or a jacket, it is transportation along the journey.

So, are you a "web wheeler"?

Tanto

Adventurer
Well cool, I must say that the LR discussion here has been quite educational.

BTW - I have a Mutt...

I also need to fix my leaky t-stat housing, going to miss an outing on Sat because of it.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Geez, we're just starting to get rolling and this Scott Brady guy comes in and stinks up the place with his Toyota reliability. Seriously though, Scott knows what he's talking about, because he's owned every four wheel drive vehicle made. He has a real problem with commitment. In the years I've owned my CJ-5 and used it as my primary wheeling rig, he's had like... 10+ rigs?

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
overlander said:
I just ********! Too funny. Mike, you have redeemed yourself with that A game sarcasm.
I fail to see the humor. It's been years since I was in school, but I think my count is fairly accurate. I used fingers and everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1