Artistic Shots- Well thought out, framed (positioned), artistic shots only please.

Skylinerider

Adventurer
152.jpg

129.jpg

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
A young peruvian girl walks alone through the ruin site of Pisac. This shot I called "Finding Pisac," to my surprise was named the Travel Photographers Network (aka TPN) top travel and outdoor photo for the week of Sept 14-20th.

374276283_ULitR-L.jpg

An old homeless man takes part in what looked like a starring contest with a pigeon. This shot, "The stare down," received honorable mention for people and portrait. Sorry I know, not very modest of me but I thought I'd share.:eek:

374251781_aKAv2-L.jpg

Last edited:
Lost Canadian said:
received honorable mention for people and portrait. Sorry I know, not very modest of me but I thought I'd share.:eek:
I know what you mean. This one has won a couple of different art awards... 1st place in a highschool photography contest (open entry)
and 2nd place in a college photo contest (nature and landscapes category)
CostaRicapictures2002and2004124.jpg

This is a bad scan of the photo, I had it enlarged to 20x32
Taken in some jungle in Costa Rica and I swear the scene looked just like that and I took like 10 pics of the same shot at different settings.

This one got an honorable mention at the same college contest above (wildlife category).
CostaRicapictures2002and2004117-1.jpg

I havent entered these in anything yet...
CostaRicaHoneymoon2502.jpg

CostaRicaHoneymoon131.jpg

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
could anyone critique these and tell me why i might like these more than a normal full bodied shot, and also tell me what they lack (how could the shot be better)...

fyi-

-these were both framed such that the subject was to one side of the frame
-these were both picked out of several shots for good facial expressions.

i'm picking up bits and pieces of technique from you guys.

both were taken with an A300-DSLR

DSC02215-1.jpg

DSC01600-1.jpg

DSC00196r.jpg

Last edited:
Look good. You may want to adjust the color a little bit. Make it a bit more saturated I guess.

Try cropping the first one where you can only see the heads of the kiddos. Might be an interesting shot. Less distraction... the focal point is obviously the expressions on their face, which are coolishly contrasting.

The second photo is similar, the expression is what you were going for... background uninteresting or says the kid is in a pack of moms. If the kid was sitting in the back of a boat or like on a school bus or something, the background could tell a story.

I always think its cool to get down to the child's level and slightly lower.... like these...

Kylie174.jpg

9-10months040.jpg

Kylie108bw.jpg

P8070332.jpg

P6080045.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
thanks for the reply...i dig what you're saying.

does this one work a bit better?

color obviously adjusted using MS Digital Image suite

DSC011852JPG.jpg

original:

DSC01185.jpg

Last edited:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
here's another one of my favorites...took friggin' forever to get this shot cuz its the exit to mickey's house in ToonTown (disneylandUSA)...

DSC01431.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1