Big custom camper sightings

davidshourd

Adventurer
Probably Mike Hiscox, Portland. He went north to the top of the Cascades a few days ago.

Thats what I was thinking after I came across Mikes profiles yesterday. it was the same color as his, and beyond that I was going to fast to see any details like awning, gas can holder, etc.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Spoted today in East Hood River Oregon, Earthroamer Jeep, silver. parked in a field with several other expedition like rigs and some motorcycles, some with side carts. anyone on here?
Yep, it was me. Came back from the road trip to take a weekend sidecar course from Adventure Sidecars in Hood River. We were running around the field in KLR-based enduro-type sidecars getting our training and certification. (Good form, huh? ;) )

Sidecar6cropped.jpg

I was taking the course because I'll be picking up an FJ1200-based rig I bought from a guy in California in a few weeks.

745558714_HHa3B-L.jpg

I'd had two BMW-based hacks before, but it'd been ten-plus years since I'd driven a rig--with a lot of two-wheeling since--so I thought it'd be wise to get some practice. It was. :)

Last edited:

davidshourd

Adventurer
Thats funny, when I drove by I am sure I saw the sidecar bike doing just what you were doing in that picture above. I should have stopped by for a peak at the ER. where in Portland are you Mike? I would love to meet up sometime and see the thing in person, mabe share some notes on local exploring (I have only been in the Portland Area for about 5 months).
by the way, is that graphic on the side of the ER a vinyl deal?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thats funny, when I drove by I am sure I saw the sidecar bike doing just what you were doing in that picture above. I should have stopped by for a peak at the ER. where in Portland are you Mike? I would love to meet up sometime and see the thing in person, mabe share some notes on local exploring (I have only been in the Portland Area for about 5 months).
Just west of 217 at Walker Road. You're welcome anytime for a show-and-tell.

By the way, is that graphic on the side of the ER a vinyl deal?
Yep. Coolest graphic ever, in my humble opinion, compliments of the exceptional design talents of Hood River's James Lombardo (WhereTheHellIsJames on this forum) and a lot of tedious application work on his part. The driver's side is even tricker, to my mind.

DSGraphicRear.jpg

AFSOC

Explorer
Yep. Coolest graphic ever, in my humble opinion,

DSGraphicRear.jpg

Mike, I can't find a reason to argue with you on that point. Outstanding graphic, excellent work James! You're rig is coming together very nicely. I can't wait for you to launch a pic heavy thread updating all the improvements you have made. :Wow1:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Agreed ! ! !
Looking forward to it, just like with the Sprinter :D

Mike, I can't find a reason to argue with you on that point. Outstanding graphic, excellent work James! You're rig is coming together very nicely. I can't wait for you to launch a pic heavy thread updating all the improvements you have made. :Wow1:

davidshourd

Adventurer
Just west of 217 at Walker Road. You're welcome anytime for a show-and-tell.

Yep. Coolest graphic ever, in my humble opinion, compliments of the exceptional design talents of Hood River's James Lombardo (WhereTheHellIsJames on this forum) and a lot of tedious application work on his part. The driver's side is even tricker, to my mind.

DSGraphicRear.jpg

you dont live too far from me. I am just over in Lake Oswego. If you see a Nissan Frontier with a snorkel on it driving around waive your arms! though I am sure I would recognize your rigs if they are not in the garage.

As for that graphic, this James Lombardo you speak of, where do I get in contact with him? I am wondering if I can get something made up for my FWC? probably much harder given the aluminum siding though...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
As for that graphic, this James Lombardo you speak of, where do I get in contact with him?
Easy-Peasy. Click on Member List in the bar at the top of the page, click to go to the "W" section, flip through enough pages to get to WhereTheHellIsJames, and then use the links that appear to send him an e-mail or private message. Very talented guy.

Easy-Peasy. Click on Member List in the bar at the top of the page, click to go to the "W" section, flip through enough pages to get to WhereTheHellIsJames, and then use the links that appear to send him an e-mail or private message. Very talented guy.

Awww... shucks, Mike! Thanks for the compliment!

BTW, I know there's still a way to go yet (interior and all), but I agree with whoever mentioned that that a pic-heavy post of some of the other unique mods that have been done is just about due. I posted the auxiliary fuel tank install here, but there's still a bunch of other XV-JP-V2.0 stuff that would be fun to share with the rest of the gang.

As for that graphic, this James Lombardo you speak of, where do I get in contact with him? I am wondering if I can get something made up for my FWC? probably much harder given the aluminum siding though...

I'm sure that I could come up with something pretty slick for a FWC, or any other vehicle for that matter... feel free to PM. :sombrero:

Last edited:

SCRover

Adventurer
Earthroamer LV on 880 in CA

Saw a middle-aged guy driving an ER LV (appeared to be new) southbound on hwy 880 this past Sunday, 10/24. Forget where I was city-wise (I think it was San Jose), but gave you a thumbs-up. Was in my wife's nondescript Sequoia. She thought it was silly that I saluted you and she was not particularly enthused while I espoused the virtues of your vehicle choice. Nevertheless...

Great looking rig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1