Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

Overlandtowater

The bed seats are acceptable in the back. It's comfortable enough. Really hot days in the summer can get a little stuffy if the canopy is on. But yeah we just open the windows into the cab and blast the a/c back there, and open the wing windows on the top. Winter is a bit more tricky. We can blast the heat and get it back there, but there's a decent draft from between the cab and canopy so it isn't ideal. It's almost better to just leave the windows closed and just bundle up if you're back there in the winter.

All you have to do to keep the draft down is use a bicycle inner tube that will go all the way around the open window air it up and it will make an air tight seal that will flex and not fall out!!!

MockingBird

Hey Adam,

If you don't mind I have a question for ya. I finally got around to putting all my suspension components on the truck this past weekend. Pretty much the same setup in the rear that you have (Dakar's with the OME AAL). Everything went fairly well with one exception, the tailpipe is rubbing the rear spring. Seems to be the stock setup and I even put in the OME drop bracket. Did you have any issues similar to this? I have been following your build fairly closely and it has answered a lot of questions I have had. Like you I am building the truck to enjoy time away from it all with my family(had a 05 BMW Dakar but whole family wouldn't fit). Anyhow, keep up the good work man and thanks for all the help.

-Karl

Box Rocket

Hey Adam,

If you don't mind I have a question for ya. I finally got around to putting all my suspension components on the truck this past weekend. Pretty much the same setup in the rear that you have (Dakar's with the OME AAL). Everything went fairly well with one exception, the tailpipe is rubbing the rear spring. Seems to be the stock setup and I even put in the OME drop bracket. Did you have any issues similar to this? I have been following your build fairly closely and it has answered a lot of questions I have had. Like you I am building the truck to enjoy time away from it all with my family(had a 05 BMW Dakar but whole family wouldn't fit). Anyhow, keep up the good work man and thanks for all the help.

-Karl

The OME extended exhaust bracket works well before you add the AAL. With the AAL it can still work but I've seen more issues of the suspension hitting the exhaust with this setup. I chose to cut my exhaust just after the downturn in the tailpipe to dump behind the rear axle instead of out the side like the factory setup. I welded an additional exhaust hanger right at the end of the cut tailpipe but this isn't always necessary.

here is a video I shot after I added a Magnaflow muffler to my truck. Not the best way to show you but you can kind of see where I cut the tailpipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jYwav8H8gIE

Box Rocket

Finally finished up the final phase of my rear bumper over the weekend. Added a second swingout for fuel/water. This also gave me a permanent (better) location for my license plate and an aux light tied into my reverse lights.

Space was a little tight for a second latch so I made the swing outs overlap by added a 3/16 plate to the end of the new swingout that goes behind the arm of the tire swingout. This allowed me to use a single latch. Worked out well and is nice and tight.

On to the pics.
_MG_0249.jpg

_MG_0251.jpg

_MG_0252.jpg

_MG_0253.jpg

_MG_0257.jpg

_MG_0258.jpg

_MG_0259.jpg

_MG_0260.jpg

_MG_0261.jpg

_MG_0262.jpg

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Had to come over here and drool after I saw the wide shots on the 'Show us your Taco' thread. Yes, here on ExPo. Not the forum you're thinking of.

Love this little truck! Great pics as always, Adam!

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Spotted your Tacoma in Layton Saturday night right before you got on the freeway to head south.

The Tacoma looks good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1