Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

Nice Adam....I have been kicking the body lift idea down the down for a few years....Worth it?

Nice new meats....Better then the KM2's?

The small BL helps clear the tires better for sure. I definitely wouldn't go any bigger than 1" with a BL though. For me it seems to solve the issues I needed it to.

So far I like the Goodyears. Haven't had them out in the dirt much yet so I can't say they're better than the KM2s yet. Hopefully soon.

I did get the HID's wired up yesterday. Had to fab up a new mounting bracket for them, but it turned out ok.
HID_18_zps73713d87.jpg

HID_20_zps0ded977f.jpg

HID_16_zps1497f4bf.jpg

HID_06_zpsb7472751.jpg

HID_05_zpsbeeacf60.jpg

HID_10_zpsd86925d0.jpg

HID_01_zps001fc245.jpg

Costman13

Adventurer
Its looking good. Have you noticed any handling changes with the body lift? I wouldn't think 1" would effect much, if any at all. My previous tacoma had a 3" BL when purchased originally, removing that was the best mod I did for that truck.

A side note. Did you trim anything up forward when installing your bumper? Im not usually partial to tube front bumpers on our trucks, but yours looks great IMO. Much cleaner than many I have looked over.

Box Rocket

Its looking good. Have you noticed any handling changes with the body lift? I wouldn't think 1" would effect much, if any at all. My previous tacoma had a 3" BL when purchased originally, removing that was the best mod I did for that truck.

A side note. Did you trim anything up forward when installing your bumper? Im not usually partial to tube front bumpers on our trucks, but yours looks great IMO. Much cleaner than many I have looked over.

I haven't noticed any change in handling with the body lift. However I think changes would difiniteyl be more evident with taller BL's.

Didn't need to trim anything in order to fit the front bumper. I really like the Trail Gear design on this bumper, although tube bumpers aren't for everyone. Their bumper is completely bolt on with a beefy new crossmember that bolts on first, then the tube bumper attaches to the new crossmember. Good strong design with excellent clearance.

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
I am 98% sure I spotted your truck in downtown SLC yesterday... I was in a maroon DC with a tan soft top. I am curious if this was indeed you...

Lord Al Sorna

Harebrained Scheming
Thank you very much, especially coming from someone with such immaculate taste in motor vehicles! Your truck was one of my inspirations, and it would be a true pleasure to meet up with you one of these days and have a chat...

Box Rocket

Thank you very much, especially coming from someone with such immaculate taste in motor vehicles! Your truck was one of my inspirations, and it would be a true pleasure to meet up with you one of these days and have a chat...

Our local Toyota club (Wasatch Cruisers) is having a spring BBQ thursday night in Sandy. It is partly an effort to do some preliminary tech inspections for Cruise Moab that happens in a couple weeks. But it's also a potluck. Would be a good opportunity to check out the club and meet some great people and see some cool rigs.

Details:

When: April 18th at 6:00 pm
Where: BYWATER PARK. https://www.google.com/search?q=3149...ddress&ie=&oe=
What to bring: Your Cruiser
Food to bring: Any treat, appetizer, main course, chips, or dessert.

Drinks and paper products will be provided!

Box Rocket

This isn't for my truck but I thought I'd share it anyway. A guy in VA asked me to build him a bumper like mine for his Tacoma. He had a few changes in mind from how mine is set up, but in general the bumper is an almost direct copy. He chose to do a single swingout instead of a dual like mine. The swing out has a spare tire, hilift mount, and a basket for two jerry cans. I have a lot of hours into this mainly because I'm not a real fabricator and only have basic tools so I'm slow when it comes to fab work. But I think it came out ok.

Here's the bumper itself. Main section is 2x5 rec. tube. Frame plates are 3/8". Side tubes and lower receiver tube is 1.5" with some 1.25" tube to tie the side tubes back to the frame. Boxed gussets on frame plates and receiver. 1/4" plate for hinge mount from Comp4x4.

Start of the swingout. Used 2" sq tube for the swing arm and spare tire mount. Destaco 2000lb latch.

Hinge is from Comp4x4. Lubricated brass bushings and a 1" bolt. Doesn't get much simpler than that, but it works great.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

The basket for the cans is basic and pretty simple. Some 2" angle for the bottom and sides with some 1.25" strap to finish it off. The cans are held in with some 1" sq tube with a bolt down peice that runs through the handles of the cans.

Diagonal hilift mount behind the spare.

soonenough

Explorer
Looks great! I've always liked the hitch / chain attachment area on your bumper, it looks really clean with the main square tube notched out and the round tubing underneath.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Maybe it has already been discussed?

Do you really travel with your kids in the back of the truck!? Not only is that illegal these days (not that I care about that) it is pretty unsafe. I don't see a roll bar in your truck, in particular in the bed. That fiberglass top is going to crush like a beer can if you roll over. I sure wouldn't put any kids back there without a super solid roll bar to keep them safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online