Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Well I might get banned or kicked off the forum by the Expo Purists for this mod, but I like them all the same. Got the new Glassworks fenders mounted up yesterday. Doing a dry fit to make sure the lines are right especially on the hood and door seams. Overall quality is nice on these and I was pleased with the lines at those seams. However, its no secret that these fenders have less than stellar fitment for the side marker lights. Mine were no exception. Fitment of the markers is dismal. I can do a little "massaging" still and get them better I'm sure but they won't be perfect. I'll be working on that this week along with getting them color matched. Then I'll address the inner fenders. I'm undecided on the snorkel. I've considered rerouting the intake to a safe place back in the engine bay or possibly to the cab. But I'm going to do a little more work to see if I can get the snorkel to fit cleanly to the new fenders. If I can't make it work cleanly, I won't run the external snorkel. Bottom line is the 4.5" flare give better tire coverage than the stock fenders.

You are going to be banished to the crow barn as they did at NASIOC. j/k. I will like them when they are painted. I really hate that desert look or whatever when they run around with white fenders. I was going to run a set on my old XtraCab but it seemed like such a PITA to get an inner fenderwell of some sort to work so I never did it.

I am sure your truck will still look fantastic once done!

vanhornsky

Observer
Looks pretty good to me. Especially with the bigger tires. They will look better when they are color matched. What are your plans for the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revco

Adventurer
I'm certainly no purist, but I don't care much for fiberglass fenders. They usually look goofy, don't fit worth a damn, and will shatter when they come in contact with a rock. I understand the benefit for clearance though, but I think a well trimmed fender usually looks better and most glass fenders seem to be on long travel wannabe baja mall crawlers. But I have to say they look good on your truck, and will look better when painted to match. I think it's just the overall stance and track width that makes them blend in, rather than stick out like a sore thumb like they do on most trucks I've seen.

paranoid56

Adventurer
You are going to be banished to the crow barn as they did at NASIOC. j/k. I will like them when they are painted. I really hate that desert look or whatever when they run around with white fenders. I was going to run a set on my old XtraCab but it seemed like such a PITA to get an inner fenderwell of some sort to work so I never did it.

I am sure your truck will still look fantastic once done!
man, totally forgot about teh barn lol

Box Rocket

They're getting color matched right away. I just needed to get the fitment all sorted out. So everyone can relax, it should only be a few days of looking like a complete poser with white fenders. Once their painted it will only look like a half-poser. ;)

01tundra

Explorer
I like the look of the fenders....but if you don't fix that passenger side marker light my OCD is going to cause me to have a stroke :sombrero:

Box Rocket

Getting ready for a couple events coming up later this summer where I'll be showing tents. Had some simple graphics added to the truck yesterday. Sorry for the low quality photos. I'll get better ones as soon as the fenders are painted. New Rocker Panel and Bedside graphics

Box Rocket

Ok. Got some color on the fenders so I'm not that "prerunner guy with unpainted fenders". I got the lights to fit a bit better but still not perfect. I'll continue to tweak them but they're close. These are 2-stage rattlecan colormatched paint. Turned out pretty nice for rattle can IMO, but I need a higher quality clearcoat. I'll probably respray them later in the summer with some better clear and call it good.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Your Tacoma looks a little off without that snorkel on it after seeing on there for so long.

The fenders turned out good. On the intake have you thought of maybe running the tubing along the fender and to a vent on the rear of the fender near the door . Though you'd have to cut into the fenders.

Kole

Adventurer
I absolutely love your truck, but I have to say this is the first thing you've done to this truck that I don't like. (Besides that racing stripe you took off the same day haha) The misaligned corner lights are the nail in the coffin for me.

I haven't seen a glass fender that I like for our truck yet. Too bad nobody makes a first gen Tacoma glass fender comparable to the toyotafiberglass.com fender flairs for the 95 truck. I like that it just has a larger wheel opening and a flared wheel arch rather than the entire fender raised and widened.

But the paint does look better. I seem to remember someone putting a snorkel on with the glass fenders....

EDIT: Oh ya, saw your post on TW about Zam's snorkel... It seems like his corners line up pretty well ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1