Buildaholic... 2015 Chevy Silverado 1500 Rocky Ridge Alpine edition.

Bojak

Adventurer
I would go with those. Not over the top bro mode but modern enough. Like how they incorporated the rear step like the factory.

PA Slammer

Observer
Just a quick update to keep the thread fresh...

SCA never answered my email. Not impressed with that. We'll see how it goes.

I got my Yakima foot pieces to fit my rack off my 2009 Silverado to my 2015. Looks good, I had to cut/modify around the wind deflector where it come close to the Satellite Radio antenna. I'll get a couple pictures on here as soon as I can.

Still waiting on my A.R.E. shell. Can't wait to see how it looks and functions. Then the real games will commence.

Lastly, I have a quick question, any of you can chime in... I've been considering a coach (second) battery setup. I also was considering a Goal Zero Yeti 400. Not sure which way to go. I kind of like the idea of a truly portable plug and play set up. For example, I have a Go Power portable solar panel and a Dometic fridge, both of which I'll be able to use in my RV, Trailer, a party, whatever and wherever. What do you guys think?

PA Slammer

Observer
Got the cap in today! Sweet looking. I'll add a few more pics later. Happy with the fit and color. The factory interior wiring seems a bit sloppy. Too bad, A.R.E. definitely scores a zero for that. The internal structure that allows you to put up to 500 lbs of gear on top is missing the little feet that actually touch the inside of the roof. Without them, it's just a regular cap... ******? Dealer really wasn't familiar until I showed him. I'm sure it'll sort itself out with a few phone calls. The backup camera that had to be replaced (stock was in the tailgate handle) was attached to the license plate bracket. That'll have to be relocated as it is right in the way where you step and it'll surely get crunched after a few beers at camp. Length of wire is plenty long, I'll probably mount it up high. Lastly, the interior LED lights quit as soon as I got home... Another ******! Yoi! But as with any of this stuff, out the box is never what it "should" be. It'll be tweaked to where I want it.

One other thing I noticed as I washed it today. There are SOOOOOOOOOO many holes, cracks and crevices everywhere in the bed! It's going to take a lot of work getting that thing water AND dust tight. I'm thinking of using a can of spray foam like "Great Stuff". Thoughts?

I'm also going to swap the Yakima bars and put the wider ones on the cap. They are wide enough to allow two canoes... just barely. The shorter bars will go on the cab and be used for a gear basket.

IMG_20160218_165618683[1].jpg

IMG_20160218_163249989[1].jpg

IMG_20160218_163223941[1].jpg

zetabird

dunno if you still need it but here is the part number for the little plastic bed protectors right and left sides, 23469127 and 23469126 just pulled them from my parts cataloge

zetabird

perk to being a parts guy at a gm dealerlol, doesn't help much on my comanche and the jeep lot acrossed town doesnt have much for me either lol

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Topper and racks look stellar. Can you please show how the rear opens, other than the tall tinted door, will the tailgate portion open? Looks like the topper will also open like a conventional topper?

PA Slammer

Observer
Sorry, I've been out of town for a bit.

Here is a quick picture. I'm really loving this cap!

8d63f9de5a84d980d7c52aaec17749a3.jpg

I hate titles...

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Thats a sweet :Wow1:looking cap Slammer! I like the idea of having a door you can open built right into the hatch. Cool design!:drool:

PA Slammer

Observer
Here's a couple more pics of the interior of the cap.

One BIG question I have is how I'm going to waterproof the inside. There are holes and gaps everywhere! Silicone and spray foam???

4155958ddca8958e4875ee29115219b4.jpg

5a4eee7b557406831db5aa8eba575ab9.jpg

c52924367b78683047bb42e866525527.jpg

I hate titles...

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
If that cap is not watertight then I would sugest painting the outside with some of the numreous rv. paints available. Your bigest problem will probably be condensation from the inside. I would sugest good ventilation that you can open and close. Keep us posted. Cheers, Chilli.:)

PA Slammer

Observer
If that cap is not watertight then I would sugest painting the outside with some of the numreous rv. paints available. Your bigest problem will probably be condensation from the inside. I would sugest good ventilation that you can open and close. Keep us posted. Cheers, Chilli.:)
The holes and gaps are in the bed... not the cap. When you really start to look, there are a lot.

I hate titles...

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
I'd use some automotive seam sealer on the gals and seams, you can buy sealer that is clear, some is called clear but is more of a translucent white. Surface needs to be scuffed up a bit, then sealer applied. The 2 part catylizing sealers work best, dry best and hardest. You could also use a bead of windshield urethane, a little bit more flexible and economical. Either will far outlast silicone caulk and set up alot firmer.

I guess the gaps you are talking about are under the bedrail? These body style trucks are the worst yet for the big gaps like that, I don't know that I'd use home spray foam, it tends to deteriorate when exposed to elements, again the automotive industry has nice foam adhesive/ sealers that would work well, their cure time and expansion size varies and they are not cheap. 3m and fusor (Lord) are the ones I know of.

You may also want to look into a rubber tailgate seal that 2 way tapes to the tailgate opening. They don't ever fit perfectly, but they help alot.

wrmmt

Adventurer
Nice lookin' rig! Have to admit, Ive never been a fan of the toppers that stick up above the cab, but that one is looking pretty good! I haven't had too many problems with my 2013 Silverado bed in terms of dust/water. I do have a Rhino lining in it, and think they plugged up most any holes that were in there originally.

Definitely second the idea of the tailgate seal. I added that on mine, and while it is certainly not perfect, it dramatically reduced the amount of dust that made it in the bed. Went from everything getting really dusty, to a much more manageable skiff here and there if the road is really dusty.

PA Slammer

Observer
The cap door comes with a tailgate seal. I might beef it up a bit with another seal attached to the bed and cap.

Here is a picture of the holes I'm talking about. They're huge!
e0aa160acafb949f4218dc80510e1460.jpg

8879bb1a3d51856b43c9af9015997438.jpg

I hate titles...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1