Bundle Your EV Charger Build Cost Into Your Car Loan? BofA sez, sure!

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Hopefully this will trend with other lenders. It does seems to be a useful strategy for cash strapped, new EV owners…buy your new rig and also cover the costs of setting up your home charging station by bundling these both into your auto loan!

But if you default on your car loan, will the repo guys also come to your house and rip the charging equipment out of your garage ??

“As electric vehicles gain traction in the U.S., more and more companies are looking to make the consumer transition to electrification easier. Some companies are making some surprising moves, like Bank of America. The bank has announced that it will allow customers to bundle financing of EVs and chargers to make EV ownership easier. That makes BofA the first national bank to offer such a program.

Under the plan, customers looking for auto financing for their EVs can go to Bank of America and finance both their EV and their charger together. Fabien Thierry, head of Consumer Vehicle Products for the bank, said it’s all about making EV ownership easier and making the transition to EVs more appealing. “We aim to help people ‘go electric’ by providing financing for this critical accessory, which allows clients to charge their vehicles in their own homes and at convenient times,” he said.”

Last edited:

crazysccrmd

Observer
I didn’t see anywhere that said they would finance the installation of the charger. That’s the potentially expensive part, the chargers themselves are cheap.

Reactions: plh

crazysccrmd

Observer
I highly doubt there will be a lien against the house for this, especially if it just covers the charger and not installation. An installed charger can be removed in about ten minutes and repo’d.

crazysccrmd

Observer
But thats just the inexpensive part. ( which is relative... a wallcharger can be anywhere from 500-1700$ plus. Which is not the same thing as the portable charger what comes with the car, albeit lots of people simply use their portable plugging hooking up to what thehellever they can. )
Labor and materials to installer a wallcharger can easily run into a couple thousand plus. Which many building codes wont allow its removal without permit and Electrical License to do it.
I speculate the Loan would actually be two separate agreements. Car loan and home improvement.
Perhaps bundled somehow into one payment.
Btw,
It would not surprise me if the Bank specifies what charging solution they will allow.

Agreed, but I couldn’t find anywhere on BofA’s website that said the installation was covered by the loan, just the physical charger itself. The removal of just the charger is quite simple.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Ok so first off most EV users use a standard 220 electric dryer plug with a 50amp circuit and a basic level 2 travel charger that often comes with the EV. Tesla tried to make it an extra item $200 and that didn’t go well so they still put one in the trunk of every car sold.

There is a scam / rip off trend of people selling “ev” charger installations for $1000’s of dollars most likely whats being finance bundled by dealers skimming another $1000+ in profit off an idiot buyer.

Reactions: mog

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Fwiw,
A standard residential dryer is 30A circuit.
Btw,
The portable charger with Tesla is smart as it recognizes the type of receptacle its plugged into and limits charging to 80% of what the receptacle capacity is supposed to be.
Maybe in your region. All my properties with electric dryer option are a 50 amp circuit 1968-1973-1978. The 1919 place is gas dryer. All the places I have been shopping are 50 amp.

In our house with Tesla T3 we repurposed a 50 amp circuit unused and ran conduit and a standard dryer Plug for the car spot in the garage. $800

Standard 50 amp circuit is roughly 30miles per hour of charging.

I have never seen a 30 amp circuit in a house. 15/20/50 is the standard here.

GHI

Adventurer
It's great to see financial institutions like Bank of America making strides to simplify the transition to electric vehicles (EVs). Bundling the cost of an EV charger with your car loan can indeed be a convenient option, especially for new EV owners. However, your point about what happens if someone defaults on their car loan and the possibility of the repo affecting the charging equipment is worth considering.
Hello Kind Sir. I see you are from India. Is defaulting on a loan common in your country of origin. Best regards.

skrypj

Maybe in your region. All my properties with electric dryer option are a 50 amp circuit 1968-1973-1978. The 1919 place is gas dryer. All the places I have been shopping are 50 amp.

In our house with Tesla T3 we repurposed a 50 amp circuit unused and ran conduit and a standard dryer Plug for the car spot in the garage. $800

Standard 50 amp circuit is roughly 30miles per hour of charging.

I have never seen a 30 amp circuit in a house. 15/20/50 is the standard here.

My dryer plug is a 14-30R with a 30A breaker and my house was built in 2003. Its possible its wired for 50A but I dont care enough to figure that out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad