carry gun

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
jerry92toy said:
A 380? Dont even waste my time. Heres the specs at double tap. 242 ft. lbs. 3.5" bbl Bersa Thunder @1100 fps
You are right a bad guy will most likely go away if you pull a gun. A bear, a cougar or a person on drugs will not.

lol. I don't remember inviting you to this conversation and forcing you to post...??...you're not the original poster, you're not adding any good info, and my information is anecdotal, obviously...

why the venom? violates your e-tough rules?

why don't you get some sleep and apologize in the morning. :)

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
jerry92toy said:
A 45 is too weak for bear or even deer. I carry a 10mm auto,glock20 . They sell actually hunting ammo for it. It will stop a black bear. And many Guides in alaska carry it as well for brown bear. But thats borderline. It has more power at 100 yard then a 45 does at the muzzle. It falls in between a 357 mag and the 41 rem mag. I carry 175 grain winchester silver tips. At 1290fps and 649 ft pounds it packs a punch. You can get double tap ammo thats even more powerful and fast with 165 grain bullets. Like 1600fps and 767 ft pounds. And anyone who says a bigger hole is better. I say what does everyone hunt a 1000 pound elk with? A 30 cal bullet and why? its faster. The 10 is fast and heavy. And the 41 rem mag 185 grain winchester silvertips are only 605 foot pounds! The 10 is ahead! Plus having 15 round mags means you can put a lot energy down range.

umm...lots of black bear and a ton of deer have been taken with .45acp and .45long colt.

for like a hundred years and stuff.

Elmer keith is a good read. So is Jeff Cooper. You can go to google and just type in their names. Lots of articles.

mrstang01

Adventurer
But the .45 ACP is not the same as the .45 Colt. I think the .357 would be a better choice, and I carry a .45 ACP every day. When I go to the woods, it's either .357 or more likely the 10mm.

Michael

jerry92toy

Its a open thread I can post if I want to with that said. Yes A 45 colt and a 45acp are not the same. A 45acp is a short 45 colt. Youre right lots of deer and bear have been taken. But in a situation of life and death the 10 is better. Certain states do not allow hunting with a 45acp for deer, but they do let you use a 10mm. And I think after 100 years someone would come up with a better round, that round being the 10mm. And yes I have left some good info. The 10mm started out as a fbi round. But the pencil pushers and girlie men couldnt handle the recoil. SO they used made it weaker and smith and wesson saw you could shorter the case thus making a smaller gun. What they came up with was the 40s&w. Glock is the best gun for the 10mm it has less kick then my compact 9mm. A 380 will not one shot stop a bear, a person on drugs or a deer. And if you need to shoot that deer to eat, you might go hungry.

glock20-10mm
165grain hp
Ballistics : 1425fps/ 744ft./lbs. - Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1360fp

Here is the 357
158grainhp
Velocity: 1400fps / 4" Ruger GP-100
1245fps / 1 7/8" S&W
1540fps / 6"bbl S&W 686
688 ft. lbs.

Bullet: Speer Gold Dot

Caliber : .45ACP

Bullet : 185gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 1225fps - 616 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911
Keep in mind with the 45acp that this round is P+ and someting you will not find in your average store. Most round are 800-900 fps Im being nice by posted a hot round :)

Last edited:
computeruser said:
Full-size 1911, .45acp. Daily carry = backcountry carry, at least in the backcountry I visit. Usually Milt Sparks IWB, sometimes Kramer OWB.

With the recent addition of breeding populations of escaped-from-the-game-ranch Russian Boars to the Moose and Black Bear we already have here in MI, I have been thinking about adding an S&W N-frame .44mag or .45LC to the mix, for places where unfriendly wildlife might be found.

There are moose in my front or back yard every week and I have seen black bears occaisonally (2-4 times/year) also in my driveway or yard. Does this mean I should go armed to my mailbox or every time I walk out the door?
I think not; the risks of wildlife in North America are vastly over-rated. In this city of ~250K people, the last time someone was killed by a wild animal* within city limits was ~8 years ago when a moose stomped someone to death. Not counting of course the hundreds of moose-car collisions every year in Southcentral Alaska, a few of which are fatal to the driver.
There was I believe one person killed last year in the area (out of the city) by a brown bear. That's not much considering the number of people in the woods, hills and fishing every summer.

*Nasty pit bulls and other verminous dogs are a different matter. In Anchorage they kill small kids every year or so. But people don't seem to worry very much about that compared to a bear once every 10 years, for some reason.

Charlie

Last edited:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Please keep this thread on track and civil.
No need for name calling or posturing, or the thread may be closed.
Thanks,

safari.gif

kerry

Expedition Leader
Martinjmpr said:
True but, again, mountain lion attacks against adult humans are pretty rare. Yes, there was that jogger in CA but that's the exception that proves the rule - how many have there been since then? Mountain lions are mainly a threat to pets and children.

Young man about 18yrs old was attacked by a mountain lion on the Carpenter Peak Trail at Roxborough State Park just outside Denver a few years ago. He wasn't armed and told me that Jesus saved him.
There's also a bridge on the creek just west of the tunnel east of Idaho Springs on I-70 in memory of a person (high school student?) attacked (and killed?) by a mountain lion.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
kerry said:
Young man about 18yrs old was attacked by a mountain lion on the Carpenter Peak Trail at Roxborough State Park just outside Denver a few years ago. He wasn't armed and told me that Jesus saved him.
There's also a bridge on the creek just west of the tunnel east of Idaho Springs on I-70 in memory of a person (high school student?) attacked (and killed?) by a mountain lion.
FWIW

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html
http://www.cougarinfo.org/

According to this Linda Lewis person (authority unknown)
1970s 17 total attacks found 4 fatalities
1980s 20 total attacks found 2 fatalities
1990s 37 total attacks found 8 fatalities
2000s 28 confirmed attacks 3 fatalities

kerry

Expedition Leader
DaveInDenver said:
FWIW

http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks.html
http://www.cougarinfo.org/

According to this Linda Lewis person (authority unknown)
1970s 17 total attacks found 4 fatalities
1980s 20 total attacks found 2 fatalities
1990s 37 total attacks found 8 fatalities
2000s 28 confirmed attacks 3 fatalities

Both the attacks I referenced are on the US list. My memory was faulty on the Roxborough attack. He was armed with a Swiss army knife.

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
Wow - what a great thread for my first post. :)
First, even through reading all nine pages or so of posts, I could not figure out what the OP meant by "backcountry" (perhaps I overlooked it - it is almost midnight). I guess the best answer is "it depends on what worries you?". Here in GA, the biggest animal we would find would be a black bear. I carry a 1911 with me daily, and am somewhat confident of its ability (and mine) to save me if needed. The other reason I don't carry a .41 or .44 (or larger is because I don't have one). Now, if I were going out west, and grizzlies were a concern, I would not feel safe with anything but a .454 or .500 (in handgun form - would prefer a shotgun or rifle).
Regarding method of carry - I prefer concealed. Why? Because when I started carrying, I lived in FL, which does not allow open carry. I OC occasionally, but have practiced enough to be able to "clear leather" almost as fast as OC. I guess my method of carry would be determined by climate, weather conditions, and activities. For example: if I am hiking and it is cold out and I have on a couple of layers, then I may OC, as drawing from concealment may be encumbered. If it is 65 and nice out, then concealed carry is probably what I would do... plus I like the "supposed tactical advantage" (that is another debate).
All that being said, my wife has a Glock 19 which she loves (as do I). She carries with her most of the time... however, her idea of the "back country" is a trip to Gander Mountain or the camping sections at Dicks or Wally World. :)

Good luck.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:hehe: Remember "one shot-one kill"

Those sniper stories are LEGEND, but

Carrying a sidearm for protection, against SUDDEN attack, by a Mountain Lion/Bear/Perp/chipmonk, doesn't give time for a, "pause/breathing/squeeze scenerio

Thats why I'll stick with one of my .45 acp, where I can easily carry 22 rounds, with no problemo and swapping magazines, is much faster that trying to reload a revolver

I've got a S & W MOD 500, but as heavy (4lbs+)as that SS revolver is, I wouldn't carry it in the boondocks

:gunt: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
JIMBO said:
:hehe: Remember "one shot-one kill"

Those sniper stories are LEGEND, but

Carrying a sidearm for protection, against SUDDEN attack, by a Mountain Lion/Bear/Perp/chipmonk, doesn't give time for a, "pause/breathing/squeeze scenerio

Thats why I'll stick with one of my .45 acp, where I can easily carry 22 rounds, with no problemo and swapping magazines, is much faster that trying to reload a revolver

I've got a S & W MOD 500, but as heavy (4lbs+)as that SS revolver is, I wouldn't carry it in the boondocks

:gunt: :safari-rig: :safari-rig: JIMBO

good points. I see the scene in "we were soldiers" where he sgt. is protecting the wounded during an attack:

"prepare to defend yourselves, gentlemen".

...and he strides out in front looking through the haze with a 1911 in one hand, I've read, a spare mag in another. All told he dropped dozens of vietnamese soldiers in that charge, all being fairly crazed/amped. In an interview after seeing the movie, the sarge said that the movie was about 99% accurate. Very cool.

:REOutArchery02:

MaddBaggins

Explorer
Spikepretorius said:
Please with tears in my eyes don't get her a .38 snubbie. That seems to be a favourite for people who don't know guns but it's the last thing you should get her. Because of the short frame it will recoil like crazy in her hand, (and it's pretty loud) and she will be scared of it from that day forward. She must be totally comfortable with her weapon or it will be a hindrance.

I've lost count of the people that I know who have 38 snubbies gathering dust.

I don't know Spike. My wife spent some time at a gun store/range with a female employee. After trying around 8-10 different makes/models/calibers my wife decided on the S&W Airweight .38 SPC with 2" barrel. She likes this gun quite alot and is a decent shot with it. We replaced the stock grip with a Hogue 1 piece rubber grip. It is slightly larger than stock and softer. The recoil is far less than expected. I've taken it out a few times. It's a good shooter and not much recoil.
I think if the lady has a strong hand, the .38 SPC snubbie is a fine choice. Practice is key.

98dango

Expedition Leader
Its a open thread I can post if I want to with that said. Yes A 45 colt and a 45acp are not the same. A 45acp is a short 45 colt. Youre right lots of deer and bear have been taken. But in a situation of life and death the 10 is better. Certain states do not allow hunting with a 45acp for deer, but they do let you use a 10mm. And I think after 100 years someone would come up with a better round, that round being the 10mm. And yes I have left some good info. The 10mm started out as a fbi round. But the pencil pushers and girlie men couldnt handle the recoil. SO they used made it weaker and smith and wesson saw you could shorter the case thus making a smaller gun. What they came up with was the 40s&w. Glock is the best gun for the 10mm it has less kick then my compact 9mm. A 380 will not one shot stop a bear, a person on drugs or a deer. And if you need to shoot that deer to eat, you might go hungry.

glock20-10mm
165grain hp
Ballistics : 1425fps/ 744ft./lbs. - Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1360fp

Here is the 357
158grainhp
Velocity: 1400fps / 4" Ruger GP-100
1245fps / 1 7/8" S&W
1540fps / 6"bbl S&W 686
688 ft. lbs.

Bullet: Speer Gold Dot

Caliber : .45ACP

Bullet : 185gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 1225fps - 616 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911
Keep in mind with the 45acp that this round is P+ and someting you will not find in your average store. Most round are 800-900 fps Im being nice by posted a hot round :)

Geez man

Jerry this was to get opinions on what pepole youse. Not to start a fight. You get in trouble when you push it. I know your thoughts on the 10 MM. I also know why I bought a 10 MM. But man you really need to chill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1