Colorado_Outbacks Trail(er) Blazer

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
You gonna gullwing the doors? It would be more doorway room.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Haha never thought about it before, it would be cool but body work isn't my forte. Rear hatch will be the main entrance/exit, side doors will mostly be used to access the storage in the "basement" under the front floor.
I was impressed with how ridged the body was and how well the doors shut with the front 1/3 of the body missing.

thethePete

Explorer
This is turning out way better than I had initially thought it might. Top notch work.

Might I suggest grafting the bottom portion of the front doors onto your front you fabricated, just to finish off the body line from the rear doors, and close up that gap at the leading edge of them? Something like that would be well within your skillset by the looks of it, and I think it would go far to clean things up.

Looking forward to seeing this done!

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
always thought they were neat bikes lol

The super low gearing and front wheel pulling you along takes some getting used to, especially in the snow. :bike_rider:

This is turning out way better than I had initially thought it might. Top notch work.

Might I suggest grafting the bottom portion of the front doors onto your front you fabricated, just to finish off the body line from the rear doors, and close up that gap at the leading edge of them? Something like that would be well within your skillset by the looks of it, and I think it would go far to clean things up.

Looking forward to seeing this done!

I was planning on trying to re apply the plastic trim to the sides to clean up that gap but my sheet metal ended up a little proud of the door.

You can kinda see it in this photo.
20160219_161934 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

So I need to investigate my options.. maybe trim the trim to get it to line up a little better or I may end up making a little metal "wing" to cover up that open area at the bottom of the back doors. Ive been avoiding doing the door jambs, so ill likely get going on that tomorrow as well.
Almost done with metal work. :)

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Laid the first round of filler on the roof the other day, I still need to feather the sun roof patch panel further back. It wont get any awards but it wont hold water either.

20160225_160513 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Spent some time working on the door jambs, been avoiding this for obvious reasons.. lot of trial and error fitting and making templets. Next time ill do this before I put the front panel on.

20160225_160526 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Hard to tell in this pic but the panels are recessed about a 1/4", for door clearance and because I plan to put a rubber trim on that raw edge.

20160225_160535 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
What a great build.
Well thought out and an eye for detail.
I like that you kept the lines of the vehicle and not just fill the front with an ugly box.
I hope the trim can be figured out because that would blend the finished look very nice.
Looking forward to the finished product.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
What a great build.
Well thought out and an eye for detail.
I like that you kept the lines of the vehicle and not just fill the front with an ugly box.
I hope the trim can be figured out because that would blend the finished look very nice.
Looking forward to the finished product.

Thank you for the compliments, this type of work isn't really my specialty. Never attempted sheet metal on this scale before.
I just grabbed a tape measure and started cutting, luckily I haven't worked myself into a corner yet.

Finished the door jambs and sealed them with paintable 30yr silicone.

20160226_135420 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

My dad has been working on his bike tray most of the week, pretty slick.

20160226_133049 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160226_133100 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Standing on its own with the chock.

20160226_132831 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Also drilled out the spot welds for the old jack kit mount and cut the filler neck hump out of the way to make room for a battery box in the rear.

20160226_152526 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Giant battery in there for mock up. Going to build an aluminum panel to house the battery along with the stereo and other electronics.

20160226_154139 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Hah I love this thing! Next time I see a scrap suburban come along, you know what I am going to do with it, right?!?!

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Hah I love this thing! Next time I see a scrap suburban come along, you know what I am going to do with it, right?!?!

Thanks Bushcoat, with enough tools and imagination just about any thing is possible. :sombrero:

Got everything masked and scuffed this morning and got the paint going. Thats 2 cans of black and it'll probably need at least 2 more, its satin finish and still pretty wet in the pic so it looks a little goofy.

2016-02-27_05-31-13 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online