Colorado_Outbacks Trail(er) Blazer

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Thanks Bushcoat, with enough tools and imagination just about any thing is possible. :sombrero:

Got everything masked and scuffed this morning and got the paint going. Thats 2 cans of black and it'll probably need at least 2 more, its satin finish and still pretty wet in the pic so it looks a little goofy.

2016-02-27_05-31-13 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

A piano hinge on top of doors gas strut to lift and hold it. Gull wing doors would be great. Just say'n... ;-)

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
Thanks Bushcoat, with enough tools and imagination just about any thing is possible. :sombrero:

Got everything masked and scuffed this morning and got the paint going. Thats 2 cans of black and it'll probably need at least 2 more, its satin finish and still pretty wet in the pic so it looks a little goofy.

2016-02-27_05-31-13 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Very true my friend. Good thing I have a bodyshop at my disposal :)
If only I had the access to a CNC, to cut out all those cool pieces (jeez man that bike platform!), I'd have some bumpers built already. It's just so time consuming trying to get by with a chop saw, sawzall, torch, drill, etc. I also wouldn't mind taking a 2wd motor cycle out for a tour every now and again.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Nice I haven't seen those pics before, looks good.

Makes me glad I didn't attempt the gull wing doors haha. Main access for this unit will be the rear hatch.

I moved it around with the atv today, pretty much takes care of any weight concerns I had :wings:

20160228_134820 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I'm no Picasso but the paint turned out ok.. Its got some runs and blems, good enough for what we're doing.

20160228_151257 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

One of the reasons I cut the roof where I did was to retain the factory roof rack.

20160228_151349 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
It was too cold to roll it out and do the seam sealing and more painting today so we worked on a bunch of random wiring.

Got these Alpine Type S component speakers from the front of the blazer and installed them in the rear doors.

20160302_114219 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I had these optronics 3/4" clear led's left over from another project so we installed them in the rear hatch trim.

20160302_152637 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160302_152644 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

My dad decided that a mercury switch from an old thermostat would work well for turning the hatch lights on and off. I drilled a couple holes and added some zip ties to further secure it after taking this pic. the 3M foam tape was working but I wanted to make extra sure it didn't rattle off.

20160302_132843 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Another thing I got at the junk yard a couple weeks ago was this trunk cargo net out of some Pontiac. Turned it into a (large) gear loft.

20160302_110449 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Managed to get the hooks for the gear loft pretty flush with the rear trim on the roof so hopefully the fronts will turn out as good.

20160302_153227 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

sdwhip

Observer
I'd get tired of my head bouncing of those gull wing doors or being hunched over......Just say'n. Seems the regular doors will be just fine especially for taller fellas like myself.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Gull wing doors........ Just say'n.

I know... thats all you've been say'n...

I own a production welding and cutting business so when I look at a project like that I ask whats it going to cost($$ and time) and whats the payoff?

Time and cost would be significant, 100 plus hours plus some $$ in parts.
Whats the pay off? Besides looking cool, which I stopped caring about long ago. If it doesn't add value or functionality its worthless. Nobody is going to pay more for this thing later just because it has gull wing doors. It adds 0 functionality since I all ready have a huge gull wing door on the back.
Doing gull wing doors on the sides would be a total waste of time and money.

Ilmao could help but to keep picking.....

Not even sure what your talking about now.. Complete sentences please.

thethePete

Explorer
Looking awesome.

To pick up a stick and join the group over at the dead-horse convention, the normal doors are much better for so many reasons. And Jimmys aren't bad for rain getting in with the door open from stock, so I can't see it being an issue now. Bolt an awning to the rack on one side and what more coverage do you need? Plus the simplicity of a door operating the way it should. I don't think Mr. Gullwing realizes the fab work involved in making a gullwing conversion work properly. "Not worth it is" an understatement.

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Looking awesome.

Thank you sir!

We pulled it out today so I could finish painting the deck and threw the canoe up there just for grins. I think the trailer is about 6" longer over all then the boat, going to have to build some extended cross bars to strap it securely, its wider then the roof rack.

20160307_094506 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Turned out pretty good.

20160307_130047 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Sealed all the inside seams with this stuff. Man does it stink. Smell doesn't last long thank goodness.

20160305_102140 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

We insulated the front with some 1" foam, for sound deadening and to make it less tin can-ish more then anything. I think this'll get covered with white masonite or something like that.

20160307_144259 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

My dad wired most of what we need into the battery box area the other day. Front dome lights, windows, speakers, locks and some other stuff.

20160304_105033 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Colorado_Outback

Adventurer
Got the front deck finished up.

20160316_161543 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

3/4" led running lights front and rear.

20160316_161555 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

20160304_105058 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Ever since I started this project I wanted a 100% mechanical way to unlock the trailer. Especially since we decided to mount the battery inside.
The rear doors have no key hole (obviously) and this Blazer being all power had a solenoid button to pop the rear glass. After much junk yard searching I found an 02 blazer that was manual window/lock and had this lock to pop the window instead of a solenoid.

20160316_105127 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

I also wanted a way to open the rear hatch from inside so we started modifying the linkage on the latch. The latch for the rear hatch has a manual lock tab with a bushing all ready in it so all I did there was punch a hole in the sheet metal and cut a length of rod to fit to make a lock knob. The rod in the middle is what ill attach the interior handle to. More on this later.

20160316_134440 by colorado_baja, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1

Members online