Considering a 2015 Tacoma - a few questions

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I am considering purchasing a Tacoma, and have a few questions for those of you with one.

Rear axle
Which model/size axle is in the Tacoma? Does the TRD Off-Road truck with the electric locker have the same size axle as the non-e-locker trucks? From what I have read, I think they may be different, but am not 100% sure.

Automatic transmission
When the trans is manually shifted into 1st, 2nd or 3rd, does the transmission hold that gear until hell freezes over, or does it shift on its own (either up or down)?

Towing
Does the V6 have enough power to tow a 1500 lb. teardrop off-road? (I am asking regarding a heavy overlanding built truck.)

TRD Off-Road Package
Aside from the e-locker, are the other features (switches!) on this model worth it? (I ask from the perspective of a truck that will be fairly well built.)

Any other thoughts, suggestions, ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

jcoleman

I am considering purchasing a Tacoma, and have a few questions for those of you with one.

Rear axle
Which model/size axle is in the Tacoma? Does the TRD Off-Road truck with the electric locker have the same size axle as the non-e-locker trucks? From what I have read, I think they may be different, but am not 100% sure.

Automatic transmission
When the trans is manually shifted into 1st, 2nd or 3rd, does the transmission hold that gear until hell freezes over, or does it shift on its own (either up or down)?

Towing
Does the V6 have enough power to tow a 1500 lb. teardrop off-road? (I am asking regarding a heavy overlanding built truck.)

TRD Off-Road Package
Aside from the e-locker, are the other features (switches!) on this model worth it? (I ask from the perspective of a truck that will be fairly well built.)

Any other thoughts, suggestions, ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Answers to a few of your questions (assuming a V-6 equipped truck):

The non e-locker rear axles in Tacoma's use an 8.4" ring gear while the e-locker equipped trucks come with an 8" ring gear 3rd member. Actual strength difference is purported to be minor.

The 4.0L V6 is "adequate" power wise. Doubtful the relatively light tear drop would be a problem.

As for other features that are beneficial with the TRD off road package, A-TRAC is worthwhile.

I've got a 2013 Tacoma DC with a manual transmission. Our family has a 17 foot hybrid trailer for camping - 2300 lb dry and nowhere near the aerodynamics of a teardrop. It pulls it fine. You aren't going to have any issues pulling your teardrop.

As for the value of the SR5 and TRD packages it really depends on whether you plan to build your truck or just take it stock. If you are going to build, get a base model and build it. If you aren't planning to build, but just want to drive it off the lot and into the wilderness, then the SR5 and TRD become worthwhile. I chose a base model, added intermittent wipers (plug and play with a Toyota factory part $200 Canadian) a minor lift (Rancho Quicklift) a Softopper, brake controller (you'll have to buy this no matter what model you get if you want trailer brakes) and a class IV trailer hitch. It is awesome. The biggest help off road was the lift.

My assessment of the SR5 and TRD packages is that they are very expensive for not a lot more value. You could put in ARB air lockers and onboard air for less than the cost to upgrade to the TRD. All of the Tacoma stock suspensions are rough - you will probably want aftermarket anyways. Up to you, but I don't thinkthe SR5 and TRD are a good deal (unless you like painted bumpers - then totally go for it)

Adventurous

Explorer
I recently purchased a 2015 and can share the following:

- To my knowledge, only the e-locker equipped trucks (TRD Off-Road) have the 8" rear end. All others have the 8.4"
- In my experience, the transmission will hold whatever gear unless damage would occur.
- A properly equipped Tacoma is rated to tow 6500 lbs, your 1500 lb tear drop shouldn't be an issue

As someone who had a TRD Off-Road package then got a base model this time around (SR5 accouterments) I would opt for the base. The upgraded Bilstein suspension isn't too terribly impressive and the extra 3K or whatever they ask nowadays for the locker and "skid" plates just wasn't worth it to me. I'd rather have the larger rear differential gear, add ARB air lockers, and get some real skid plates to make up the difference. Same goes for the suspension, a good aftermarket kit beats the pants off of the stock.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Thank you for the replys.

I do plan to build the truck - overland style. This is the main reason for my questions - my current build plan would discard all the TRD Off-Road features.

As far as drivetrain mods, i am thinking 4.56 gears and TruTracs at each end. (A similar setup to my current truck.) UCAs, shocks, new leaf springs, bumpers...

As for the V8 conversion...

zscott

Adventurer
The power you loose with the v6 comes from going to larger tires without regearing. I noticed a significant loss in power with 33's and no regear. That being said, I can't feel a difference when I am towing my ~1000lb loaded offroad trailer. Since you are going to regear you won't have any problems at all.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
There are two things you will not be able to add with aftermarket upgrades: ATRAC and the heavier duty braking system that runs ATRAC. ATRAC is an outstanding traction control system and is something close to virtual lockers. Many will say that you don't need ATRAC if you add front and rear lockers. However, ATRAC will excel in off camber situations when lockers would otherwise push you down slope.

Also, if I remember correctly, the axles/gears are the same, but the non TRD trucks have a lightly larger housing

SIZZLE

Pro-party
Axle: The Off Road is a different axle from the others. The others have a bigger R&P and are stronger. Whether or not the strength difference matters is debatable. If you want a heavy build with Truetracs, i'd go with an SR5 or sport
Auto: I've never had it up shift on me, but it will down shift.
Towing: 6500 lb tow rating, you should be ok
Off road package: Sounds like it wouldn't be much of an advantage to you. ATRAC is cool, but dual lockers will get er done too. Beware of the seats in a non-TRD. The TRD seats are way better.

skates04

Adventurer
The off road package with Atrac and a real locker will hands down be better than front and rear tru-trac from Detroit (basic limited slip) and a waste in my opinion.

Unless you have the money to buy the truck and instantly do your mods my opinion is the offroad package is the best in the long run. You can make a few hundred selling the suspension if you upgrade. And reap the benifits right away of the traction upgrades and reliability of an OEM locker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skates04

Adventurer
Here is a good thread on TRD sport vs. Off-Road...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...d-(2012-)-–-NOT-THE-SAME-OL’-QUESTION-exactly

You can see my post #4 , no need to repeat it here , but to summarize: TRD Off-Road package = waste of money and nowhere near worth the extra 4k you have to pony up for it .

Not trying to start a pissing match, and really its just whatever the individual prefers, more than one way to skin a cat. :sombrero:

My reason for getting the off road package... An ARB, Compressor, and install is going to be nearly 2 grand. Now if your re-gearing right away you can mitigate install cost, but your still going to pay 1-1.5k for the locker/compressor. An ARB compressor will air up tires, but it won't be that great. For me a locker is a must have when offroading, and a selectable locker is a must have considering the expo aspect as a full Detroit locker does not have great on road characteristics. The other reason for me, re-sale. The transmission cooler to me is very important, especially if you are running in 4 High, this heats up your transmission quite a bit so it is helpful not only when towing. The seats, all the electronic traction stuff, rear bed plug in all make it worth it for me. If your building a hardcore rig the base model is probably best as you will be upgrading everything. If you buy a TRD off-road, put on better tires, you have an expo rig ready from the dealer in my opinion. Again, every one has there own opinion and it comes down to what the individual really wants/needs. If the OP wants tru tracs front and rear then off road is a waste, but the ATRAC alone will out perform tru tracs and will work from the factory, and be under warranty.

Now if they would just do the off-road package with color matched bumpers from the sport and just put on a good tires from the beginning. :)

Lucas

Doc Foster

Adventurer
The Tacoma V6 has plenty of power to tow. I had the Sport package and it was quite capable off road with 33" tires on stock suspension. This trailer was about 4200 lbs. loaded and I drove from MD to CO, NM and UT and back with the Tacoma.
DSC_0696.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1