Cool Jeeps You Can't Have - Mahindra of India

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The MM540/MM550 is still in military service in some countries; these are a couple of Nepal Army MM's I came across in Kathmandu, Nepal in 2019.

NepaliArmyMahindra2_zps8na165mb.jpg

NepaliArmyMahindra1_zpswhxa9fyg.jpg

Mahindra has done a number of military-specific models beyond the MM540, including armored vehicles and ambulances. I'll post photos of some of those later in the thread.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The Wagonette was an early long wheelbase 4-door version of the MM540.

Wagonette1_zpssgszphe7.jpg

Wagonette2_zpsysrskz3z.jpg

Wagonette1.jpg

That wasn't the first time Mahindra used the Wagonette name, earlier they did the "101 Wagonette", which was more or less a stretched CJ3b with a 4-door closed body.

Wagonette101.jpg

njtacoma

Explorer
They still produced a version of the FC-170 and several variants until the early 2000’s as I recall. I wanted to import one , but never looked into it. Several van bodies and the traditional cab chassis models

jscherb

Expedition Leader
They still produced a version of the FC-170 and several variants until the early 2000’s as I recall. I wanted to import one , but never looked into it. Several van bodies and the traditional cab chassis models
That's true, the FC was made well into the 90's. I've got lots of photos of FC's to post as well as some FC brochures - trayback trucks, busses, ambulances, etc. Stay tuned...

jscherb

Expedition Leader
After the Wagonette, Mahindra refined the design with a higher roofline. Most of these are called the Commander, and they came in 5-door and 3-door models (counting the rear barn door). These are Mahindra publicity photos.

WhiteCommander5Door.jpg

WhiteCommander3Door.jpg

There was also a version called the Marshal and I've seen lots of Marshals and Commanders in India but I've never been able to figure out what distinguishes the two models.

WhiteMarshall5Door.jpg

This basic body style was very popular and a number of other later models were based on the same basic idea.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like the Dakar a lot, but why why couldn't they do a barn door in the rear? It's got a side-swing tailgate/swing-up liftgate combo :(.

DakarRearView2.jpg

DakarRearView.jpg

There's no technical reason they couldn't do a barn door.

The Mahindra Commander/Marshal has a barn door, and this one even has a slider window in the barn door:

CommanderRearView.jpg

I like the Dakar a lot, but why why couldn't they do a barn door in the rear? It's got a side-swing tailgate/swing-up liftgate combo :(.

DakarRearView2.jpg

DakarRearView.jpg

There's no technical reason they couldn't do a barn door.

The Mahindra Commander/Marshal has a barn door, and this one even has a slider window in the barn door:

CommanderRearView.jpg

Like you said, give it a barn door and mount the spare back there and it would’ve been perfect! They would’ve sold like hot cakes in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

I must say, 50 years later I prefer the single door.
Way quieter and way better at sealing out dust, cheaper to make too.

Cstailgate1.jpg

To me, this is a barn door. And functional on a full size like the Suburban or van.
s-l1600.jpg

based on designs hundreds of years old
old-barn-door-debby-pueschel.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Grille swaps/overlays are popular in India too...

TharAngry_zpssa86fjev.jpg

TharGrilleSwap_zpsabw7cgne.jpg

TharGrilleSwap2.jpg

And of course the factory grille overlay on the Maxx and other models...

MaxxGrille.jpg

Even in India they're all ugly :).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1