Critical Spares List: Discovery I

sven

Adventurer
Id add a spare ECU on the remote/intl list. Also serp belt tensioner roller, its small and cheap.

JSBriggs

Adventurer

rubicon001%20349.jpg

Is the spare plate a James-Bond-get-you-out-of-'trouble' sort of thing? :sombrero:

Also while not spares, I would pull the solenoids on the shifter and the Tcase. They are mall safety features that just give you hassles in remote areas.

-Jeff

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
It's interesting you mention those solenoids. Recently when trying to remove my front driveshaft, I discovered that I can't remove my key from the ignition when the TC is in neutral. Any way to defeat that?

Scott Brady

Founder
I remember those jumper cables Jack ;)

Nice kit - organized.

I also like to tape the contents of the box on the inside of the lid. Really helps know if that little piece you are looking for is buried in there somewhere.

benlittle

Adventurer
In addition to some of the other things mentioned I also carry spare;
coolant res
all spare fluids
one shots
misc fuses/ relays/ misc gauge wire
OBDII reader
Tie rod ends X2... Or for whatever setup you're running. I personally run RH and LH threads on both steering and drag so I have one of both.

no need for spare CV's/ Axles, have HD
no need for spare flange bolts, grade 12 drilled to 7/16 socket head cap, I think the flange would grenade before the bolts

Jeepfreek; how do you ensure you're CV's and spare carrier stay free of dirt/ debris by just laying in that pelican OR what do you do when that carrier turns your spare fuel pump into bits?

Jack; that spare setup seems like perfection. Dope.

Last edited:
J

jeepfreak

The CV and carrier just lay there. I don't carry this **** in my truck. I'm not an "Expedition" clown. If I need it, I have it. If I were to ever travel, I'd arrange it better.

Just a note, HD axles and "Grade 12" bolts break. If your drive flange bolts were to ever some loose they'll snap like a twig. Lockers make them come loose.

benlittle

Adventurer
The CV and carrier just lay there. I don't carry this **** in my truck. I'm not an "Expedition" clown. If I need it, I have it. If I were to ever travel, I'd arrange it better.

Just a note, HD axles and "Grade 12" bolts break. If your drive flange bolts were to ever some loose they'll snap like a twig. Lockers make them come loose.

Gotcha.

Agreed on the bolts... And of course having HD axlex/ cv's is no end all be all never brake solution but it helps ;)

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
The grade 12.9 flange bolts are very hard and as such they are much more likely to wiggle loose than the soft factory bolts. I got lucky and noticed that mine were backing out slightly and now use blue locktite every time I install them. I haven't had any other issues.

benlittle

Adventurer
The grade 12.9 flange bolts are very hard and as such they are much more likely to wiggle loose than the soft factory bolts. I got lucky and noticed that mine were backing out slightly and now use blue locktite every time I install them. I haven't had any other issues.

Locktite is a must ;)

lwg

I tend to think many people go overboard with the spares list. Weight and size of spares can really add up. Additionally I think the additional weight of aftermarket protection along with tools, spares, recovery gear, fluids, etc plus camping gear can really put additional strain on the drivetrain and eventually lead to failures. I've seen it time and time again at the Land Rover National Rally. Had a guy one time open up the back of his D1 and he literally had about 300 lbs of tools, everything you'd ever need. A bit excessive in my book.

That being said, nothing is more important than a well maintained vehicle and just crawling under your truck prior to a trip and giving it the once over. I would then list the "most common" things that can go wrong with your land rover, then figure out which would be the most difficult part to locate depending on where your travelling. That should dictate your spares list. Carrying enough fluid to change everything in the vehicle is just silly in my mind. Carry what you need to get to safety should be the goal. If your travelling in a group then 90% of the fluids will work in all trucks, at least for the near term. Taking things just because it's happened once to someone on the other side of the continent or because you could imagine it's possible is just silly. I can imagine a lot of crazy stuff happening, it's usually the things I don't imagine that happen. Everytime I've managed to get the truck together enough to get it to safety.

If one really feels the need to carry spares for everything, why not just take an additional truck? Then you have every spare possible.

J

jeepfreak

I went to red loctite and a 12.9 bolt. I did not do the 7/16", though. The ones I got had a longer shoulder and were about 1/8" longer. They've been good, but I check them regularly.

kjp1969

Explorer
These spares boxes are impressive. But it reminds me of the guy driving through Baja in his Toyota with practically one of everything in the back. First he breaks a leaf spring, and replaces it with his spare. Then he breaks an axel, replaces that too. Then he tears off his steering box, and his friends (who are driving stock vehicles with no spares at all) say, "If you weren't carrying 1000 pounds of parts, your truck might not break so much."

Tongue in cheek, of course. Maximum respect to the prepared- I was a boy scout too.

Scott Brady

Founder
Kevin,

It is a balance. The greatest priority is a well-maintained and serviced vehicle, especially Rovers. I have been aggressive about servicing mine, even well ahead of recommended intervals. So far, only the fuel pump has failed, which was a surprise, given the 22,000 miles on it (though five years in time).

Another subject I would like to discuss (at some point) is a predictive maintenance schedule.

lwg

Kevin,

It is a balance. The greatest priority is a well-maintained and serviced vehicle, especially Rovers. I have been aggressive about servicing mine, even well ahead of recommended intervals. So far, only the fuel pump has failed, which was a surprise, given the 22,000 miles on it (though five years in time).

Another subject I would like to discuss (at some point) is a predictive maintenance schedule.

Scott I subscribe to the same theory. Just recently replaced a perfectly good alternator because it had 120k on it. It was just a matter of time. Now I'm working on all the bushings and such as they are getting worn out and also trying to chase down a squeak under the hood that I've had for about a year... Motor mounts get replaced at the first sign of a crack, etc. It costs a bit more to do it this way, but I have no doubts I can drive my truck cross country with confidence.

James86004

Expedition Leader
One thing I have not seen on the list is the ignition module, which is only on the earlier distributor equipped models. It is a tiny box (like 1.5x1.5x0.25") that bolts to the side of the distributor. These sometimes fail intermittently, especially in hot weather, and sometimes fail totally. I have been stranded by one of these, fortunately it was at home so it was just a matter of replacing it in my driveway. It is easiest to replace it when you remove the distributor, which is a lot more convenient if you have the goofy wrench for it. I bought my wrench at Sears (see attached photo).
attachment.php

Things that have actually left me stranded to the point of needing a tow with my RRCs (which are very similar to the Disco I, especially the 3.9 Discos) are:

Fuel pump
Burst overflow tank (if yours is black plastic, replace it with the newer white plastic ones)

Things that would have stranded me if I had not had spares:

Burst heater hose (on the way home from purchasing the Rover)
Alternator
Belt (it was new, too, but obviously defective)
Water pump
Ignition module

I have never had an ECU, MAF, or TPS go out on any of my vehicles. I have had other EFI items fail or partially fail, but the worst that happened was it went into open loop mode and I was able to limp home.

Attachments

• PICT3927.JPG
    PICT3927.JPG
    504.2 KB · Views: 719

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal