Critical Spares List: Discovery I

J

jeepfreak

I kind of want to see you pull apart an alternator in the field. I kind of want to see you do it on your work bench at home, too.

I also want to see someone break and needle bearing in half without bending it.

Geo14cux

Adventurer
I kind of want to see you pull apart an alternator in the field. I kind of want to see you do it on your work bench at home, too.

I also want to see someone break and needle bearing in half without bending it.

Done the alt on a bench several times. I was talking about in the field. Not hard but a pain. I can't believe how they mount the rear bearing -- just silly.
I carry a rebuilt alt in my peli....

needle bearing ah well if you have too break it cold chisle & smacker. boom done!

Last edited:
J

jeepfreak

Done the alt on a bench several times. I was talking about in the field. Not hard but a pain. I can't believe how they mount the rear bearing -- just silly.
I carry a rebuilt alt in my peli....

Not saying it can't be done. I know it can be done. I've had 3 or 4 rebuilt. But there's a reason I pay the local clown 60-bucks to repair it form me rather than do it myself.

But I want to see Tom in the "field" with his bag of tricks repairing the Magna. I'd pull up a camp chair and a 12-pack to watch. It would be better than watching the first season of American Chopper.

needle bearing ah well if you have too break it cold chisle & smacker. boom done!

Yeah, uh huh. "boom" done..... Right there on that flat rock, right? Or better yet, on your bumper, right? And the halfs are going to stay there for you to pick up....

Not saying it can't be done. But I'd like to see it. I think I'll just keep a couple spares.

sinuhexavier

Explorer
In addition to some of the other things mentioned I also carry spare;
coolant res
all spare fluids
one shots
misc fuses/ relays/ misc gauge wire
OBDII reader
Tie rod ends X2... Or for whatever setup you're running. I personally run RH and LH threads on both steering and drag so I have one of both.

no need for spare CV's/ Axles, have HD
no need for spare flange bolts, grade 12 drilled to 7/16 socket head cap, I think the flange would grenade before the bolts

Jeepfreek; how do you ensure you're CV's and spare carrier stay free of dirt/ debris by just laying in that pelican OR what do you do when that carrier turns your spare fuel pump into bits?

Jack; that spare setup seems like perfection. Dope.

You still owe me a fuel filter...

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Not a "spare", but another fluid to carry would be an electrical board cleaner. As I showed this summer, it saved my computer after it got wet.

lwg

Not a "spare", but another fluid to carry would be an electrical board cleaner. As I showed this summer, it saved my computer after it got wet.

Or you can just use distilled water to rinse them. That's what I did when I drowned my truck out many years ago. It did the trick just fine. Plus it's useful as coolant, drinking water, etc.

Geo14cux

Adventurer
Not saying it can't be done. I know it can be done. I've had 3 or 4 rebuilt. But there's a reason I pay the local clown 60-bucks to repair it form me rather than do it myself.

But I want to see Tom in the "field" with his bag of tricks repairing the Magna. I'd pull up a camp chair and a 12-pack to watch. It would be better than watching the first season of American Chopper.

Yeah, uh huh. "boom" done..... Right there on that flat rock, right? Or better yet, on your bumper, right? And the halfs are going to stay there for you to pick up....

Not saying it can't be done. But I'd like to see it. I think I'll just keep a couple spares.

Hey i might give it a try throw a rag over the needle place a sharp chistle on it. It might shatter>

Sometimes the camp chair is good thing...:coffeedrink:

Scott Brady

Founder
I am not one to carry every conceivable spare. I have found the best method is to have a properly serviced vehicle to begin with, and be predictive about change intervals. Replace any questionable items a few weeks or a month before the trip to ensure good service.

With my Tacoma, I carried no spares, other than a front CV, filters and hoses/belts. In over 80,000 miles of rough service, that is the only part it has needed.

I realize that my Discovery does need a few more than that, but the kit will still be small.

I talked with Scott from Columbia Rovers this morning, and he suggested for my 1995:

Fuel Pump
Ignition Coil
stc1184 Ignition Module

He also had some great things to say about the 1995 model, that not many things go wrong, but the ones that do, you can be easily prepared for. He also said that the wiring harness was upgraded from the 1994. All good news for my Baja trip.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Or you could go back and read where I said I'd never done a MM and accepted that a field repair was not a good undertaking.

Mercedesrover

Explorer
Wa? Now, wait just a minute here. I mention once in a while how I don't really think that the RRC/Disco/DiscoII/Etc. isn't a very reliable expedition platform and ya'll jump on my like stink on poop. Now I see this thread with $6000 lists and piles of spare parts to bring along? Sumpin' don't add up!

:)

Ah, I feel your pain. There was this one trip in my RRC when that truck ate $3000 worth of parts before I got home. 10k miles, $1k in gas, $3k in parts!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
He also had some great things to say about the 1995 model, that not many things go wrong, but the ones that do, you can be easily prepared for.
I'd have to agree. In 250k miles of not gentle driving I've been "stranded" 3 times. Once was the ignition fuse which I had. Once was a tie rod (due to my own carelessness) which someone else had and once was the starter. The starter was on it's way out and died just couple of miles from home. I'd never have taken a long trip with it the way it was. I do want to figure out the exact model of the British Starters Nippon-Denso I installed so I can pick up some spares.
The only other times any Land Rovers have stranded me in the time I've been driving them is a broken timming chain on my '73 88, a broken rear axle on a 109 and a thrown rod on my Lightweight. I caught the rear crown wheel bolts backing out on my '73 before the diff failed. Not too bad a record in 35 years. :)

sinuhexavier

Explorer
Scott-

You know you have doomed yourself.

With all this prep it's going to be that one small thing that never fails that is gonna leave you eating fish tacos until the end of your days...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal