cruiser question

Laxaholic

Adventurer
Hey guys, I have a couple questions for you all and need opinions.

Right now, i have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited that my dad and I owe about 12,900 on. Has a trade in value of about 18,000

I have had some reliability issues with it and am exploring my options.

I am in college and would like a paid for vehicle, that still is a 4x4. I really like the looks of the 80-100 series. But i am wondering if they are as reliable as legend has it. I would put some serious miles on it and have alot of gear that i can carry.

Can you guys tell me about the land cruisers, pros and cons. Tell me what to look for in a decent used one and common problems they may have. Could i find one to trade for at a dealer? Post pictures of your rigs if u have them.

thanks for your time.:smiley_drive:

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
I have a built 100 not to far from you. You are free to come check it out and see which one you like best. 100's are a have a bit more creature comforts than the 80. Has a V8 and a bit more room inside. 80's have V6, slightly better offroad upgradability. My 100 is 11 years old, 140,000 miles and the only thing that has gone out is the starter and exhaust manifolds (common on 2000's). Both 80 and 100 are ultra reliable and will take you anywhere you want with comfort, power, and refinement. It will be a huge step up from your current Jeep, in all aspects. Gas mileage is going to be bad with any Landcruiser model you end up with, at nearly $4 a gallon in GA it will drain your pocket faster than you can think. I'm on a college budget and I struggle with gas severely, it's roughly $80 to fill up the 25.5 gallon tank and I average 12mpg in city and 15-18mpg on highway.

I feel like you have posted this thread twice, maybe I'm thinking of someone else?

Expedition Leader
I really like the looks of the 80-100 series. But i am wondering if they are as reliable as legend has it. I would put some serious miles on it and have alot of gear that i can carry.

If they have been maintained and not abused, they are as reliable as legend has it.

Can you guys tell me about the land cruisers, pros and cons. Tell me what to look for in a decent used one and common problems they may have.

80-series Cruisers are built like tanks, have lots of room, and are stone reliable for the most part. Downsides are the weight and bad fuel economy. '91-92 models had the last of the venerable F-series engines and drum brakes on the rear, hence they don't accelerate or stop fast. But they will run nearly forever with regular maintenance. The FZJ engine starting in '93 has more power but there are instances of the head gasket failing. Most have been fixed already by now. But as a college student, I'd be afraid that the gas mileage would kill your budget.

One of my sons is still daily-driving my '91 FJ80 at well over 250,000 miles and I would drive that truck across the country tomorrow without a second thought. The head has never been off, in fact nothing done to it in all those years except a new alternator and a new radiator.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I posted a while ago, still working on it. I'm on a break from school and finally have some time. But, i really just want to know where i can find a decently priced 80 or 100 around.

im used to the gas mileage, still driving a lifted jeep on 33s...(used to be 35s)

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
I posted a while ago, still working on it. I'm on a break from school and finally have some time. But, i really just want to know where i can find a decently priced 80 or 100 around

There are a few in GA that are posted for sale, if you want to go look at either one let me know. My spring break starts Thursday morning, I will have a few weeks sitting on my ***. Let me know if you do find one.

Here is my 100:
ry%3D480

My build thread has many pictures showing what a 100 is capable of

LJ_24

Adventurer
They are reliable as the legend says!

Mine is a 1998, still running strong and outperforms the 2010 4runner v8, based on my observations last weekend at oceano dunes

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
They are reliable as the legend says!

Mine is a 1998, still running strong and outperforms the 2010 4runner v8, based on my observations last weekend at oceano dunes

2010 V8 4Runner??? Since when did this happen?

Klierslc

Explorer
yea, something wrong with that? im on a school break and still trying to get this stuff sorted out before i leave the states for the summer

Nothing wrong with it at all. Do you have any specific questions that were not addressed in the other thread?

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I really want to buy one, but thy are hard to find and which year i really want. I like the 80series, and what the best way to get out of this troublesome jeep is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1