Dimo's 2004 Xterra build

Dimo

Observer
Original post updated.

Never got around to updating this, but a lot has been added. Got the snorkel installed along with the winch awhile back. I've done a PML, also known as a Poor Mans Lift, by adding AC shackles and torquing the T-bars. I switched out the stock T-bars for some stiffer Calmini ones. Added a light bar with 4 hellas and also picked up some used Shrockworks sliders.

Some shots of the winch and snorkel install.

DSCN8144.jpg

DSCN8155.jpg

DSCN8143.jpg

DSCN8157.jpg

DSCN8158.jpg

DSCN8159.jpg

Silver dude

Xplorer
Loving this build. Very very similar to my build. Same color bumper and Xterra with the same basic parts theme going. Keep it coming.

Dimo

Observer
Loving this build. Very very similar to my build. Same color bumper and Xterra with the same basic parts theme going. Keep it coming.

Thanks man! Your X did inspire me to do a lot to my truck to make it look just as sick as yours!

Last edited:

Dimo

Observer
Lotta updates:

Finished my lift!
AC UCA
AC AAL
Bilsteins front and rear
SS extended brake lines

DSCN8444.jpg

DSCN8448.jpg

DSCN8313.jpg

DSCN8371.jpg

DSCN8417.jpg

Also finally ordered a Hi-Lift and using the methods of another Xterra owner, mounted it on the roof rack.

DSCN8438.jpg
DSCN8439.jpg

Xterabl

Adventurer
Hey, very nice build. Can you elaborate on the hardware you're using to mount the hi-lift to the roof rack? Thanks!

Dimo

Observer
Thanks guys! And no problem, I believe that Drake from Clubxterra.org was the first person to use these clamps cause he uses them on the job. They are used to mount lights to a truss.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TJVX14"]Amazon.com: Brand New Chauvet Clp-15 360° Wrap Around Heavy Duty O-clamp - Allows You to Mount Your Light to a Truss - Handles Lights up to 660 Pounds!!: Musical Instruments[/ame]

After picking those up, I needed longer bolts to mount the Hi-Lift, which were purchased at Home Depot. As where the 6 nuts and 4 washers. I did have to bore out the flat hole to fit the slightly larger bolt through, but not much. Once I figured out how much room I needed, I put to nuts on and torqued the in opposite directions to keep them from moving, then a washer, then the Hi-Lift, then another washer, and lastly another nut. I was going to use wing nuts for the top, but decided against it for security reasons. All in all, it barely rattles and there was no where to put it inside. And as you can see, I'm also using a handle isolator.

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'd move the CB... You may not be sitting there, but if you ever want someone to go with you (like maybe a young broke lady...), that CB will be a deal breaker. I had my CB mounted there in my old XJ and frankly it was AWFUL...

Just my observations, but I've had the experience and it wasn't good...

I always find it funny when people say: "I'm 21 and broke" so I bought a Snorkle and a pillar guage pod... Save your money and do your homework on your mods, not that the Snork is a BAD mod, it's just not really nessesary AND I really doubt that you've watter proofed the electrical systems enough so if you think the snork will save you from deep water...it won't and the false security might just lead you to do something stupid and kill your engine (all supposition, not saying you ARE stupid, I've just seen that happen to a few young eager wheelers) THe gauge pod IMO IS a bad mod now, and really, as it sits, that truck will go a LOT of places, so save the money for gas and get out and play more. I say this cause I did the same thing years ago with one of my Jeeps and I spent ALL this time modding it and then scrapping mods that turned out to be crap, only to NOT get to take it out. I could have saved hundreds of dollars and gone out wheeling/camping a TON more. Wish I would have so I just say that as a caution from someone who's been through something simmilar to what you're going throuhg (I think alot of us here can relate to being young and broke at one point in our lives)

Cheers

Dave

Dimo

Observer
I'd move the CB... You may not be sitting there, but if you ever want someone to go with you (like maybe a young broke lady...), that CB will be a deal breaker. I had my CB mounted there in my old XJ and frankly it was AWFUL...

I always find it funny when people say: "I'm 21 and broke" so I bought a Snorkle and a pillar guage pod... Save your money and do your homework on your mods, not that the Snork is a BAD mod, it's just not really nessesary AND I really doubt that you've watter proofed the electrical systems enough so if you think the snork will save you from deep water...it won't and the false security might just lead you to do something stupid and kill your engine (all supposition, not saying you ARE stupid, I've just seen that happen to a few young eager wheelers) THe gauge pod IMO IS a bad mod now, and really, as it sits, that truck will go a LOT of places, so save the money for gas and get out and play more. I say this cause I did the same thing years ago with one of my Jeeps and I spent ALL this time modding it and then scrapping mods that turned out to be crap, only to NOT get to take it out. I could have saved hundreds of dollars and gone out wheeling/camping a TON more. Wish I would have so I just say that as a caution from someone who's been through something simmilar to what you're going throuhg (I think alot of us here can relate to being young and broke at one point in our lives)

Cheers

Dave

Haha yeah, makes sense. I appreciate the advice and wish I had someone slap me for my previous build which I sold for this. I've learned a lot and the forums definitely help out. Luckily I've since gotten a job that can support my mod habits. As far as the CB, it doesn't bother me and that was all I was concerned about. For the snorkel, I'm well aware that I wont be doing any deep sea diving with it. For the most part, I've always like the look, it keeps mud clear of the intake, I got it real cheap, and no one knows what it is. I knew ahead of time, and was told numerous times, that it looks stupid and is pointless. The gauge pod was just cause I needed a voltmeter. Yeah there's better ways to mount one and I probably didn't need one, but my first battery took a dump on me (found out later that it was more than a few years old) and I wanted to keep track of all the BS electrical stuff I have and use. Haha and I think it looks cool too.

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice to see some XTerras going through the project process. This one is similar to the truck we use for our HDV support vehicle.

drbandkgb

Xterra Junky

Cheers

Dave

Who are you to say the CB mounted there is bad? Ive had mine in the same spot for a long time with zero issues... And to knock some one for having a snorkel?
A snorkel pulls in clean air.. So its not a bad mod.. Did you read his build thread or are you just rating it by one picture...

Maybe you need to go back to the Jeep / Toyota area.. You seem to have more exp there than in the Nissan room

Dimo

Observer
Haven't been on in awhile, but not too many updates. Just a few new stickers and such. Also ended up heading out to carlisle for their truck national meet. Saw one other Xterra and a few nice Toyotas (one with Shrockworks armor), but mostly lifted diesel rigs. I've be wanting to get a B&M rear facing light bar for awhile now, but just didn't have much extra cash when I found a hitch receiver light kit shopworn for $20. It's meant to be zip tied to a square hitch receiver so I improvised a little. I bent the already bent up tabs and zip tied them to the rail on the roof rack. I looks bad and I'm going to eventually get a B&M bar which will make it look much cleaner, but this was cheap and it works pretty good. For reference, the last pic would be pitch black without my lights.

DSCN8618.jpg

DSCN8704.jpg

DSCN8711.jpg

DSCN8727.jpg

DSCN8725.jpg

DSCN8728.jpg

PS sorry Dave!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member