Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

upcountry

Explorer
I am sure you have heard of them......SPC LR UCA - Specialty Products Co. "Light Racing" UCA.

Those ICONS ar SWEET. I like the zerks. Good addition. Very nice setup.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Phase II: Complete!

Installed the UCA's and shocks today, these things are amazingly high quality.

Area prepped
107_3908.jpg

First some grease on the bushings. It's nice that these UCA mounts have zerks.
107_3912.jpg

High quality tapers. These UCA's are completely rebuildable.
107_3915.jpg

Arms installed, notice the sheet metal had to be bent back about 1/2 inch on both sides to clear the looong bolt. It was easy.
107_3917.jpg

107_3916.jpg

Shocks ready to go on with all the tools needed and red loctite
107_3920.jpg

Shocks installed
107_3921.jpg

Modifying the remote reservoir brackets to fit with the ARB
107_3924.jpg

Tomorrow morning I'll attach the mounting brackets and attach the remote reservoirs, re-install swaybar, skids and tires and it's alignment time.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Reservoir mounting and alignment

Here's how the bracket looked after I modded it to work with the ARB
107_3928.jpg

Bracket mounted. Note how the cutout was made to allow the ARB bracket bolt to pass through and how the Icon bracket is sandwiched between the frame, the ARB bracket and the sway bar relocation blocks underneath.
107_3930.jpg

Icon 2.5 Reservoir mounted with hose clamps. Coilover set for 3 inches of lift.
107_3931.jpg

Took it down for an alignment after I had everything back together. Obviously it was way out of spec - see the numbers, before and actual (after).
107_3935.jpg

The ride is noticeably more plush now, and the annoying vibration in the steering wheel at 45-50mph is gone now. This setup should give a much higher level of performance than I have known previously and I'm very excited to hit the trail!

Last edited:

clcoyle

Explorer
I can’t wait to see your rig at the Toys 4 Tots event at CP.

I just custom ordered a 2012 Tacoma Dbl Cab, TRD-Offroad and I am considering the ICON Tacoma Suspension System - Stage 4 as one of my first upgrades.

Your truck looks great.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
I can’t wait to see your rig at the Toys 4 Tots event at CP.

I just custom ordered a 2012 Tacoma Dbl Cab, TRD-Offroad and I am considering the ICON Tacoma Suspension System - Stage 4 as one of my first upgrades.

Your truck looks great.

Cancel those plans! Walk away now - save yourself!

If you go, you look - you'll just end up getting infected like the rest of us...

NetDep

Adventurer
Doc - Still new to this and just noticed that you have an OR model Tacoma and you have a scoop in your hood -- isn't that a Sport hood? I just ordered (and will be installed next Wednesday) the color matched grill but have not thought about the hood. Is there any practical significance to that or a "cool" factor? I really like the scoop - and makes the OR look better -- if that is possible. Thanks in advance!!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Doc - Still new to this and just noticed that you have an OR model Tacoma and you have a scoop in your hood -- isn't that a Sport hood? I just ordered (and will be installed next Wednesday) the color matched grill but have not thought about the hood. Is there any practical significance to that or a "cool" factor? I really like the scoop - and makes the OR look better -- if that is possible. Thanks in advance!!

The truck is an Off Road (e-locker) and the hood came via trade, a local guy had a Sport and didn't like the scoop... so we did a trade straight across in a parking lot :)

I'ts non-functional but I did it just for the aesthetics anyway since I wanted the truck to look different, not many of us running around with short beds and hood scoops ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
With the recent addition of the Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2.5 front remote reservoir coilovers and Icon tubular upper control arms, a front end alignment at 101K, and new BFG MT KM2's at 102K, I have to say that the truck drives completely different. I hadnt realized just how out of round the old MT's had become, and how much I needed an alignment.

This thing rides so plush and rolls so smoothly now it's almost like a different truck, I find myself looking for bumps and whoops just to feel the suspension work :)

It's amazing what some new tire and suspension love will do for a vehicle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1