Enclosed utility bed custom

1911/F-350

Observer
I definitely agree, but I actually mount things where I have to reach for them. That way it forced me to move around while I drive. Worked when I drove OTR and spent 11 hours a day behind the wheel day after day.

I understand that.

I get 8.6-12.7 MPG...........

I stop and exercise every few hours when I fill up.:D

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Your truck certainly has a lot of potential. Huge amounts of room in the back of that box makes for many possibilities. You might want to make an air dam/spoiler on top of your cab to help with fuel mileage. It could also be a cool storage area for stuff that you need in a jiffy. I was in the same situation as you looking for a canopy/camper that would allow me to get tools in and also have a sleeping area. I opted for building my own canopy and adding a ramp in the back to easily wheel tools and heavy equipment up into my rig. Check out my sig for more detail of my build. Good luck with your truck and I am looking forward to see what you do with your rig. Cheers, Chilli....:)

I bought an 1995 F150 for the ARE canopy on the bed and when I transferd the title into my business' name I had to register it commercial. Even though I told the lady that it will never move under it's own power. So the fact that you may be registered as a commercial vehicle may be due to who you registered it under. I would accept the commercial classification and use it to your advantage, here in WA state many guys with huge lift (my buddy's duramax with 14" lift) loaded a huge amount of weight in it and took it to the dump just to get the high weight ticket from the scale operator. Then he went to DOT and payed for more tonnage, then he was a commercial classified truck. In WA state the commercial trucks do not have to abide by passenger laws like a maximum bumper height. So for the window tint ticket the LEO was being a jag, many passenger cars are way darker than is legall, but their cars don't really draw negative attention either.

I would look into making a hammock that can clip to the supports in the rear and span the walkway. For most people that type of sleeping position is very comfortable, and very easily stored.

Nice truck for sure....

Carlyle

Explorer
Thank you very much bk, I feel very lucky for finding it.

I am buying the toys to get it enjoyable but I agree with you that the clock is ticking.

I am planning to start researching about the 6.0. My uncle had/has no problems from his 200,000 + but dad had problems with his at 100,000. I was told that the cooler fix, chip, and head bolts will run around $4,000. Worth it but hard to bite that piece off just for preventative maintance. It will be worth it though, I suppose.

The scan gauge is a good idea, I didn't think about that. Thank you very much!

I did the bypass kit on mine and never had an issue after that. Invest in hard wired gauges, I ran seven Autometer gauges and ended up being money well spent.

1911/F-350

Observer
Your truck certainly has a lot of potential. Huge amounts of room in the back of that box makes for many possibilities. You might want to make an air dam/spoiler on top of your cab to help with fuel mileage. It could also be a cool storage area for stuff that you need in a jiffy. I was in the same situation as you looking for a canopy/camper that would allow me to get tools in and also have a sleeping area. I opted for building my own canopy and adding a ramp in the back to easily wheel tools and heavy equipment up into my rig. Check out my sig for more detail of my build. Good luck with your truck and I am looking forward to see what you do with your rig. Cheers, Chilli....:)

Thanks Chilli; I am contemplating a spoiler for looks and mileage but not sure of how I want it to look.

I read your thread; very impressive! I like the ramp, I would love a lift gate on mine but a ramp would certainly help a lot!

Cheers!
:beer:

1911/F-350

Observer
I bought an 1995 F150 for the ARE canopy on the bed and when I transferd the title into my business' name I had to register it commercial. Even though I told the lady that it will never move under it's own power. So the fact that you may be registered as a commercial vehicle may be due to who you registered it under. I would accept the commercial classification and use it to your advantage, here in WA state many guys with huge lift (my buddy's duramax with 14" lift) loaded a huge amount of weight in it and took it to the dump just to get the high weight ticket from the scale operator. Then he went to DOT and payed for more tonnage, then he was a commercial classified truck. In WA state the commercial trucks do not have to abide by passenger laws like a maximum bumper height. So for the window tint ticket the LEO was being a jag, many passenger cars are way darker than is legall, but their cars don't really draw negative attention either.

I would look into making a hammock that can clip to the supports in the rear and span the walkway. For most people that type of sleeping position is very comfortable, and very easily stored.

Nice truck for sure....

Thanks Too Tall; I am not sure if it is registered comercial or not. Once I got the title I handed it over to the bank to hold on to for a couple of years......

I am planning a fold down bed on the back wall but a hammock might have to do for now, good idea.

1911/F-350

Observer
I did the bypass kit on mine and never had an issue after that. Invest in hard wired gauges, I ran seven Autometer gauges and ended up being money well spent.

That is the plan Carl!

I am supposed to be driving to LA right now but I am sitting at the repair shop instead.......Yesterday it was smoking like hell and loosing power on take off. This morning it was fine.:smilies27

I brought it in anyway, I wouldn't want to start a trip out worried if I had a mechanical problem or just bad fuel.

I plan to do the bypass and chip when I get back from LA. Gauges will come next. Where did you mount yours?

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
That is the plan Carl!

I am supposed to be driving to LA right now but I am sitting at the repair shop instead.......Yesterday it was smoking like hell and loosing power on take off. This morning it was fine.:smilies27

I brought it in anyway, I wouldn't want to start a trip out worried if I had a mechanical problem or just bad fuel.

I plan to do the bypass and chip when I get back from LA. Gauges will come next. Where did you mount yours?
Those symptoms sound familiar...
Best case scenario is an EGR valve problem. Biggest concern with the smoke is whether or not it's coolant, leaking from the EGR Cooler, being introduced into the combustion. If it is just a stumble off the line with a bit of white smoke, then the EGR Valve is probably all coked up with carbon, which would prevent it from travelling up and down properly. Replacing/cleaning the EGR valve might fix the immediate issue, but until you delete the entire EGR system, it is a Band-Aid fix at best. My concern at this point would be getting the coolant flushed and a filter installed. A ScanGauge will tell you if the oil temp vs. coolant temp are out of norm, which would give you an idea of the health of the oil cooler. Getting the casting sand out of the system with the coolant filter will prevent a new oil cooler from getting clogged again.
Start saving for a new OEM oil filter, EGR delete and tuner. Have the turbo cleaned while it's out. Skip the head studs for now, unless you end up having a blown head gasket, which would be the worst case scenario. Good luck and let us know what the repair shop finds out!
Here's a link to my thread where I did the above mentioned work. A little light reading while you are waiting for your rig. Here is what comes out of the coolant when it is filtered.

Last edited:

1911/F-350

Observer
Those symptoms sound familiar...
Best case scenario is an EGR valve problem. Biggest concern with the smoke is whether or not it's coolant, leaking from the EGR Cooler, being introduced into the combustion. If it is just a stumble off the line with a bit of white smoke, then the EGR Valve is probably all coked up with carbon, which would prevent it from travelling up and down properly. Replacing/cleaning the EGR valve might fix the immediate issue, but until you delete the entire EGR system, it is a Band-Aid fix at best. My concern at this point would be getting the coolant flushed and a filter installed. A ScanGauge will tell you if the oil temp vs. coolant temp are out of norm, which would give you an idea of the health of the oil cooler. Getting the casting sand out of the system with the coolant filter will prevent a new oil cooler from getting clogged again.
Start saving for a new OEM oil filter, EGR delete and tuner. Have the turbo cleaned while it's out. Skip the head studs for now, unless you end up having a blown head gasket, which would be the worst case scenario. Good luck and let us know what the repair shop finds out!
Here's a link to my thread where I did the above mentioned work. A little light reading while you are waiting for your rig. Here is what comes out of the coolant when it is filtered.

He couldn't get a good reading on the gauge because the truck needed to cool down some more. I asked if he would have time to do the delete today after it cooled off and he said no.

I asked if he had the big flow through cooler in stock and he said yes but he wouldn't have time to get it on today if that was what the test results show. I asked him to stop the test, and go ahead and put the cooler on, change the EGR, clean the turbo so I could leave for LA tomorrow.

I was going to do the delete but I gotta go!

He said it would be tight but he thinks he can have it ready this evening.

1911/F-350

Observer
I got back from LA lastnight; incase anyone is wondering, it is very hot out there.

My guy called Friday at 4:45 and said "come get your truck". He did everything that he said he would. He told me that I would have never made it to LA because the cooler was cracked. I am glad that it happened before I hit the road.

I have to go to NC tomorrow but when I get back I will have him put a programmer in and hopefully give me a little more giddy up.

A friend of mine had some truck problems so I hauled all his tools and trailer back for him from Shreveport to Ga. First tank I got 9.1 MPG, second tank I got 10.23.

DBE11E52-C1CA-4740-B651-C1D5C423B043-11134-0000103E3F28C41A.jpg

Also picked up a YETI on the way out there. It's not a fridge but will have to do until I have time to install one. I am impressed with it.

159C450C-2C53-46F7-8092-90196F3BEF3F-12150-00000FE1C79229CC.jpg

Last edited:

1911/F-350

Observer
Don't forget the Silver Bullet! I haven't smoked a cigarette since I got it!

4603FF3D-58A3-4A8F-AEF4-75D258B038FB-12420-000011383F4A485F.jpg

Realized I had a flat tire in the rear this morning. Stopped at the local shop and got 4) new Coopers before I hit the road for NC. They were slick and dry rotted.

When I get back I will replace the fronts. They are not slick but they are dry rotted recaps.

These repairs keep me from doing the fun mods. I have a new 6,000 BTU window AC unit that I plan to install in the back as soon as I have time. I also got the 2,000 watt inverter generator to run it.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Congrats on quitting the cigs! The best part (aside from living longer and not stinking), is all the money you save can go into your rig, or for travel! Don't sweat having to buy tires and fix a few things. It's all part of buying a new (used) truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1