ER 9,000 mile '08 demo for sale?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, I mentionned this before but I'll express my opinion again...just for fun as I am bored right now...

:)

I don't have a problem per say about the price. I think you get what you pay for and this seems to be the best quality product out there.

My financial concern is about using it as it is intended outside of US/Canada - traveling in third world country.

2 issues:

-Obtaining the Carnet de Passage - which is a deposit of the same value of the vehicle (in N.A.).

-Showing up in a place in Peru with a truck that's worth more than the combined salary of the entire village.

Other than that, if you have the money, why not...

:)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I just know that the market exists, even though it may not make sense to most of us. If it were in my budget, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The companies that build the high end product are doing well right now, even though the overall off road market is slowly dying. (ER, SMB, even us at TLC) I'm surprised every day at the # of people that walk in here and lay down well over 100K for an ICON. Vehicles like these keep a lot of people fed, think of all the small companies that are supplying components for all of these vehicles.

haven

Expedition Leader
"2 issues: Obtaining the Carnet de Passage..."

Turning to my copy of Don and Kim Greene's "Americas Overland," I can report that no Carnet is needed to travel anywhere in North and Central America. In South America, the three countries that may be interested in a surety bond are Uruguay, Paraguay and Guyana.

So, with a few exceptions, Earthroamer owners (and the rest of us) can drive overland almost anywhere in the Western Hemisphere without the need of a Carnet de Passage en Douane.

Chip Haven

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
haven said:
"2 issues: Obtaining the Carnet de Passage..."

Turning to my copy of Don and Kim Greene's "Americas Overland," I can report that no Carnet is needed to travel anywhere in North and Central America. In South America, the three countries that may be interested in a surety bond are Uruguay, Paraguay and Guyana.

So, with a few exceptions, Earthroamer owners (and the rest of us) can drive overland almost anywhere in the Western Hemisphere without the need of a Carnet de Passage en Douane.

Chip Haven

Chip

This is good news. I knew about Central America but not about South America. Thanks

geodasher

Observer
Wishing...

Nullifier said:
ER has a great target market product. I would say less then 10% of EP's members are in ER's "target market" But I would say that 60% of us wish we were the target market! :friday:
Ain't that the truth! I know someone who dropped $2400 on a couple of NBA finals tickets, something so outside my world that it does not register.

I could rationalize the ER only if we lived in it. If I used it every day a $250 magazine rack, $400 ladder or $1000 wine locker might start to make sense.

Rod Juliani

2008 EarthRoamer XV-LT FOR SALE under Expedition Vehicles For Sale

Read the full description of this "ONE OF A KIND" 2008 EarthRoamer XV-LT. PRICED FOR QUICK SALE @ $215,000.00. This 2008 EARTHROAMER is really better than new and only 7,000 miles. All warranties transferable. Over$250,000.00 invested, with all invoices and pictures (upon request) to prove it. Sounds like a bargain to me!

Last edited:

michaelvanpelt

Observer
Hot Deal!!!!

This is a great deal. Because we (Global Expedition Vehicles) use some of the same types of components I feel I know what the cost should be and this should be getting close to that cost. "If my thinking is right". I am surprised it still on the market. They are a nice camper.
I heard John Rhett sold his Unit #4 for about what it cost him to buy it at the time and this was only a month or so ago so this kind of discount on this truck should make it tough to sell the demo they have on the market. But of course if you have a bit more money in your pocket give us a call.

boblynch

Adventurer
Rod, do you have any pics to post of the new wheel/tire setup? Given the interest/debate in other threads it might be a useful addition to your ad.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I'll throw in my .02 cents here even though in this economy, they probably arent even worth that much.

I've followed Bill Swails ever since he started out in his Dodge Pickup with the utility bed and Fourwheel Camper on the back.

At that time I was pretty young (Mid-20's) and was in heaven reading about his travels. Along with Monika & Gary Wescott, I'll say they got me going pretty good on this Overland stuff.

The wife and I planned and planned, saved and saved and when Bill first sent out his Promo Packets for the prototype Earthroamers, we actually thought about it for awhile. Granted it was a very short time, but we considered it.

I didnt know the first thing about building my own expedition worthy vehicle and would rather have one that was turn-key and ready to drive off the lot.

We gave ourselves a 10 year plan and I got to working and studying all I could about building my own rolling home.

What we found that worked much better, for us, was towing a relatively small Travel Trailer that would give us the luxuries of home and still allow us to unhook and go explore with the motorcycle, the kayaks, the 4x4 or on foot.

Now that we've been on the road living self sufficient for two years, almost 3 at the end of January, we are comfortable enough that we're looking to seriously downsize to maybe a truck camper or a more expedition built vehicle that will not be such a burden to manuver.

Will the Earthroamer ever be in our budget? No. Like another member said, most of us on here are into building and making it OURS. There are only a few who want to buy off the shelf and go play. I was once there, but I'm way more into the self-build projects now that I have a few years of experience under my belt.

What does kill me, and just chaps me raw, is seeing Earthroamers hooked up to full hookup campground facilities!?!?!

Camping in Arizona, we were having some friends visit and wanted to not have to school them on the laws of "Turn the Water off, Turn that light off!!" So the wife and I decided to stay in a full service campground for the week.

While we stayed there, a couple camped at the campground in a Earthroamer and kept it plugged in the entire time!?

These things are built to be fully self sufficient much like we built our current camper, yet this couple stayed for an entire week in a campground none the less and stayed plugged in the entire time

Talk about wasting some serious money...LOL

Ok, enough of my rant! I'll still drool everytime I see one as I do when at the docks and looking at the sleek Blue Water Sailers. But I know enough to say "I'll never own one!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design