Expedition Portal Project: 2008 Range Rover Sport

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I was until the LR4 practically rubbed them off haha. It scraped hard when turning or articulating. The sport allows for a bigger tire without rubbing. I never rub up front but when Im fully loaded on a trail and hit a bump or articulate full in the rear it will scrape the top of my wheel well.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
I was until the LR4 practically rubbed them off haha. It scraped hard when turning or articulating. The sport allows for a bigger tire without rubbing. I never rub up front but when Im fully loaded on a trail and hit a bump or articulate full in the rear it will scrape the top of my wheel well.

So you are now running the 33" WildPeaks and the LR4 is running your 32" Coopers?

Also, could you give more details about the truck? I think you said it was a 2006, but with what options and how many miles?

Have you had any mechanical issues since picking it up?

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So the LR4 is running smaller wild peaks now. 265/65/18s while the Sport is still on 275/65/18 Cooper AT3's

The sports a 2008, currently on 78,000 miles. The compressor was going when I bought it so I went ahead and replaced that because the fault it created when over used was pretty annoying. That being said, everything else is original from air suspension to seals etc. The car still drives and handles like a dream.
It has the luxury package but not the HD package. Im hoping to do the ARB rear air locker however ;)

Jeff Baker

I have been following this thread (thanks for the ideas). Just picked up a 2010 sport two weeks ago and will more than likely go with the same rack set up.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I have been following this thread (thanks for the ideas). Just picked up a 2010 sport two weeks ago and will more than likely go with the same rack set up.

Great to hear! You'll be happy with the car, I know I am.
So is this with the 2" Rods and Off-Road height?

Yup haha :peepwall: I admit I fell prey to the poser shot. I never run it in off-road mode though, its unnecessary 95% of the time.

epiccosmo

Adventurer
Yup haha :peepwall: I admit I fell prey to the poser shot. I never run it in off-road mode though, its unnecessary 95% of the time.

Haha. No judgement. Looks great!

Do you feel like in comparison to the LR4 that you have insufficient space inside the vehicle? I know that you and Scott are running drawer systems now. I am sure that makes it apples to apples comparison.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I don't feel any lack of space to be honest. I will admit that when I was running the vehicle with the National Luna 60, three people, and a german shepherd plus gear, it was stuffed. But most vehicles would be. The biggest difference for me is the slant in the back of the sport as it forces you to think differently when packing. I stuff bags, pillows, clothes, and anything soft on top of my storage drawers when because then I can shut the window on it and it squishes down nice and secure. I can stack in all directions to the ceiling because I have the dog guard. Hard items like the fridge go in the middle for easy access and preventing damage. Realistically if you need more room than the whole back end you probably need to cut down on gear haha. When my girlfriend dog and I go out we don't even fill the back.

The reason its hard for me to compare the storage set up on the LR4 and the Sport is actually because of that dog guard. The LR4 is designed to accommodate two people sleeping inside. You fold the seats down in the back and the drawers make an entirely flat surface. The advantage of this is obviously plenty of space but its really inconvenient when packing because everything is free to slide around and you can't stack anything. My useable space is way higher simply because I can stack.

I also owe an update on those rear drawers. I places them in a way that gave me storage underneath the drawers and also lets me access the space. pics soon

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
It might be true Raleigh. I'm on my 3rd LR, 1960 Series, 03' Disco II, and I've been driving my 06' RRS for 6 years now. I dumped about $12K into it between 70,000 & 90,000 miles, but since then just normal preventative maintenance and a few sets of brakes. I drove 940 miles yesterday from the Mississippi River back home to north central Colorado non stop and she drove perfect, even as the odometer rolled to 150,000 miles and that's loaded with a rack, johnson rods, and packed to the ceiling it was a smooth ride. Even though I've put some cash into it, only 1 time did she ever fail on me (I can't say that about the other 2). Dropped to low rider mode when a suspension fault occurred -> 100 miles from my LR independent shop. That was an interesting ride over the mountain pass in December.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I've heard similar things and have been told by maintenance techs that they are the most trouble free LR they have seen. I bought my truck for 25k put another 2k into a warranty and now I'm covered bumper to bumper until 120,000 miles. (Im very glad I did this. While its been fantastic thus far its always a nice peace of mind to know you can drop the car off regardless whats wrong and not pay a dime.) I drove mine 1000 miles from Dallas to Prescott without issue, across the Mojave road to san diego, up to LA, and soon will go to Colorado. Ive never doubted her.

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
I've heard similar things and have been told by maintenance techs that they are the most trouble free LR they have seen. I bought my truck for 25k put another 2k into a warranty and now I'm covered bumper to bumper until 120,000 miles. (Im very glad I did this. While its been fantastic thus far its always a nice peace of mind to know you can drop the car off regardless whats wrong and not pay a dime.) I drove mine 1000 miles from Dallas to Prescott without issue, across the Mojave road to san diego, up to LA, and soon will go to Colorado. Ive never doubted her.

Chris where in Colorado are you headed? I'm near Grand Lake about 120 some miles NW of Denver and have a few trips around the state scheduled this summer. A friend here wants to break in his 4runner, so we will be exploring.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Ill definitely be hitting Telluride and Creede since we have friends there but the rest of my trip hasn't been planned yet haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rpinkall1